1. Joined
    02 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 17:27
    Just wondering what people`s opinions are on Owen Hargreaves?

L know he has won domestic and european titles in Munich and that he was one of the best english players at the world cup. Furthermore, it`s his first season at Man U...

However, I have watched him closely and admittedly he has a decent free kick. Aside from that what does he do?

He rarely plays a forward pass, rarely makes himself available to receive ball after making a pass, looks cumbersome in possession, always takes an extra touch than necessary and just seems to cover a lot of ground without actually making tackles.

Perhaps Im being harsh and he just needs time to settle..........
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 18:04
    Originally posted by Doyle78

L know he has won domestic and european titles in Munich and that he was one of the best english players at the world cup. Furthermore, it`s his first season at Man U...

However, I have watched him closely and admittedly he has a decent free kick. Aside from that what does he do?

He rare ...[text shortened]... ut actually making tackles.

Perhaps Im being harsh and he just needs time to settle..........
    I think you are being harsh, although admittedly this season has been a poor one for him.

He's superb at breaking up play in front of the back 4, about as good as Mascherano at that. Even if he doesn't make the first tackle, he is generally in the right place to pick up any loose ball.

He closes down midfield players as fast as Gattuso., preventing opposition playmakers from playing their normal game.

He's only behind Evra and Ronaldo in terms of pace in the OT squad.

He's got a superb engine and can run all day.

He's got a great freekick from 18 yards (which is where Ronaldo's style is generally ineffective)

What you consider "cumberson in possession", I'd consider calm under pressure.

You think he "rarely makes himself available", but again I disagree with you. He is always available in his position in front of the back 4. I consider the fact that he doesn't make many forward runs to be more about discipline as opposed to lack of ability. Remember Fergie booted Ince out of the club after he was instructed to only play defensively against Barcelona, but Ince insisted on making forward runs. United got beaten 4-0 and Ince's time at OT was over.

I think his passing can be superb as well, with either left or right foot. Admittedly, we haven't seen much of it this season, but I honestly feel he can be a key United player in the years to come.

Even this season, his experience may prove to be vital as we get into May, and "hopefully" a few huge games.

D
  3. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 18:30
    Tidy player, but far too much a hype after a few decent perfomances in last WC. £17M wasn't it? Same as Mascherano - and I know who got the better deal.
  4. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 18:55

He rarely plays a forward pass, rarely makes himself available to receive ball after making a pass, looks cumbersome in possession, always takes an extra touch than necessary and just seems to cover a lot of ground without actually making tackles.

Perhaps Im being harsh and he just needs time to settle..........[/b]
    Isn't this Ray Wilkins?

😀
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 18:58
    nk he "rarely makes himself available", but again I disagree with you. He is always availaHe's superb at breaking up play in front of the back 4, about as good as Mascherano at that. Even if he doesn't make the first tackle, he is generally in the right place to pick up any loose ball.

He closes down midfield players as fast as Gattuso., preventing opposition playmakers from playing their ...[text shortened]... may prove to be vital as we get into May, and "hopefully" a few huge games.

D[/b]
    He's got a superb engine and can run all day..............I acknowledged this but what does that prove? Robbie Savage runs all day.

He's got a great freekick from 18 yards..........I mentioned this fact.

"rarely makes himself available", but again I disagree with you. He is always available. He's superb at breaking up play in front of the back 4.......I have seen him live a few times lately and he is in front of the back 4, ready to cover, make tackles etc. BUT when the back four have the ball he is hider.

Im not one for criticising Man U players, these are just my observations, I hope for 17m pounds that I am wrong.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 19:02
    Hargreaves is a decent player, but nothing to shout home about.

The thing is that United really needed a player for that position. In that sense, although the price was high, he brings a very good added value to them.
  7. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 19:02
    I'd happily swap Owen Hargreaves for Gary Speed...!!!
  8. Joined
    02 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 21:221 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Hargreaves is a decent player, but nothing to shout home about.

The thing is that United really needed a player for that position. In that sense, although the price was high, he brings a very good added value to them.
    Last season united had all attacking midfield players and the addition of Nani and Anderson didn't really help so they needed someone for that position.

However last season United still managed the least goals conceded in the Premiership ( so did they really need a defensive player ).

Maybe yes maybe no. Any thoughts???
  9. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 00:21
    Originally posted by jacko13
    However last season United still managed the least goals conceded in the Premiership ( so did they really need a defensive player ).

Maybe yes maybe no. Any thoughts???
    Definitely!

By having a dedicated holding man, then the defensive duties of the attaking players can be reduced, so they can fully express themselves offensively. In league games, United like to play with 4 very attacking players (Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez and Giggs/Nani).

Paul Scholes can't tackle, so it also allows him to concentrate on the things that he is brilliant at.

I also don't think Ferguson would have been too aware of the supreme ball winning skills that Anderson possesses when he decided he needed Hargreaves. Only Mascherano comes close to Anderson's ability to cleanly win a ball. Anderson had normally played in a more offensive position at Porto and Gremio. Palynka would know more about that than I.

I also don't think Carrick was effective enough last season in the role. Carrick can be sometimes brilliant with his range of passing, but lacks real tackling ability. He relies on excellent positions for interceptions mostly in defense.

D
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 10:05
    It seems all top teams go for a midfield enforcer who sits in front of back four. Are there no complete midfielders any more that can do both? Tackle, cover, attack, pass etc.? e.g Keane, Viera, Petit

I think Fabregas, Deco, Gerrard, Iniesta and Pirlo are probably the most complete midfielders at the moment

To paraphrase Irish soccer pundit John Giles.........Hargreaves is half a midfield player and Carrick is the same...if you moulded them together you would have a proper midfield player.
  11. Joined
    02 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Mar '08 16:51

I think Fabregas, Deco, Gerrard, Iniesta and Pirlo are probably the most complete midfielders at the moment
    Agree but think maybe you should look at Nigel Reo-Coker
  12. Joined
    29 Oct '07
    Moves
    17 Mar '08 23:18
    Hes pretty good, although i think that Man U used too much on him. He is not worth 17mil pounds... Man U could have nought Ever Banega, or another youngster such as Gago, who are younger, and have endless potential, and are already great players...
    An excellent player though i have to say
  13. England
    Moves
    18 Mar '08 10:43
    he has little to no skill but a ability to run the 90 mins without breaking sweat
  14. Standard memberVirtue76
    King of the Ring-er
    Moves
    19 Mar '08 10:53
    How about instead of having all these different threads on certain players we just start a new one called "Every Manchester United Player In History Is Overrated"

Every time a Man Utd player is mentioned be it Rooney, Ferdinand, Hargreaves etc we get the same old rubbish, "over hyped", "not as good as everyone say he is... "

Man Utd haters obviously cant see pass their noses, take at look at the league table.
  15. 6yd box
    Moves
    19 Mar '08 12:26
    Originally posted by Virtue76
    How about instead of having all these different threads on certain players we just start a new one called "Every Manchester United Player In History Is Overrated"

Every time a Man Utd player is mentioned be it Rooney, Ferdinand, Hargreaves etc we get the same old rubbish, "over hyped", "not as good as everyone say he is... "

Man Utd haters obviously cant see pass their noses, take at look at the league table.
    as opposed to every MANCHESTER UNITED PLAYER BEING THE 'BEST PLAYER' IN THE WORD...posts from all man u lovers?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree