1. Joined
    09 Sep '04
    Moves
    21 Apr '07 06:21
    We should confor world champions on Australia and let the world cup run among the other teams. I mean comeon it trated new zeland like bermuda team
  2. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 00:36
    Originally posted by druidravi
    We should confor world champions on Australia and let the world cup run among the other teams. I mean comeon it trated new zeland like bermuda team
    Ha ha, that was just our cunning plan to lull the Aussies into a false sense of security, so that when we do meet them again in the final, we'll totally jump all over them and surprise them with our unpredictability!! Of course, South Africa is quite capable of pulling the rug out from underneath Australia's feet in their semi as well, they were giving them a good run for their money in their pool game until the unfortunate injury of Graeme Smith and Ab de Villiers' freak runout. So it could be a moot point how easily Australia can thrash the Kiwis...
  3. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 09:52
    Originally posted by B Money
    Ha ha, that was just our cunning plan to lull the Aussies into a false sense of security, so that when we do meet them again in the final, we'll totally jump all over them and surprise them with our unpredictability!! Of course, South Africa is quite capable of pulling the rug out from underneath Australia's feet in their semi as well, they were giving them ...[text shortened]... liers' freak runout. So it could be a moot point how easily Australia can thrash the Kiwis...
    Yeah we rested Shane Bond, he didn't really miss the match for a tummy wummy bug..
    He'll come back and smash em..
  4. Standard memberlordhighgus
    Kara Thrace &
    her special destiny
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 12:03
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    Yeah we rested Shane Bond, he didn't really miss the match for a tummy wummy bug..
    He'll come back and smash em..
    Keep hoping Dan, its all you've got left. A One Day record defeat, 215 runs. Was lovely to watch. Goes a little way to make up for the series smashing the Kiwi's gave us in the Chappell- Hadlee Trophy series.
    The only way Australia will lose is if the team has peaked too early. If Gilchrist and Hussey actually fire there will be even more drubbings issued.
  5. Joined
    13 Sep '05
    Moves
    24 Apr '07 13:07
    I'd say it easily covers for the loss at the Chapell-Hadlee series - a meaningless series only played to generate extra $$$. A series that I have never gained any satisfaction from winning (except maybe the 1st one) and the Aussies hardly wanted to go there after the summer at home..

...but a victory in a World Cup match.. yeap, I know what I'd prefer.

As you'd all know, one-day cricket can be unpredictable and it's very possible that the Aussies could get knocked out - that's just the nature of the game - and the teams in the semis are very good teams.

I hardly think the Aussies have fired too early - as their form is as good at as it has been at any stage of the tournament - without Gilchrist and Hussey doing anything.

If someone does knock off the Aussies, they will have really earnt it. They will take a lot of beating!
  6. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    24 Apr '07 14:24
    Originally posted by AussieG
    I'd say it easily covers for the loss at the Chapell-Hadlee series - a meaningless series only played to generate extra $$$. A series that I have never gained any satisfaction from winning (except maybe the 1st one) and the Aussies hardly wanted to go there after the summer at home..

...but a victory in a World Cup match.. yeap, I know what I'd prefer. ...[text shortened]... oes knock off the Aussies, they will have really earnt it. They will take a lot of beating!
    Geesh you sound like Ponting.. you are aren't ya...Fess up Ricky... come on..

Yeah I have some hope.. hope the Aussies go home with their tales in their gobs.

Its coming up to duck shooting season here.. maybe Bondie and Oram can dish some up.
  7. Standard memberlordhighgus
    Kara Thrace &
    her special destiny
    Moves
    24 Apr '07 23:20
    Sri Lanka whacked the Kiwis by 80 runs to progress to the final of the Tournament.
    Well done.
  8. Joined
    13 Sep '05
    Moves
    24 Apr '07 23:54
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    Geesh you sound like Ponting.. you are aren't ya...Fess up Ricky... come on..

Yeah I have some hope.. hope the Aussies go home with their tales in their gobs.

Its coming up to duck shooting season here.. maybe Bondie and Oram can dish some up.
    Ok Ok! You've just pointed out an embarrassing lack of originality on my behalf by having to use Pontings words! 😳 Doh!

Yeah, maybe Bondie and Oram can dish some up... but next time. They're out! Maybe they peaked too early?

Why would Fleming stand down? He's a great captain..
  9. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    24 Apr '07 23:55
    Yes, alas, the dream of contesting a first World Cup final is dead for us Kiwis... And I got up at 2am to watch the game to, when I could have been sleeping in :'(

It seemed like nothing went right for the Black Caps today, right from Stephen Fleming losing the toss. To be fair, I always think NZ plays better when we are chasing rather than setting a total. But Bond was out of form, serving up a bunch of rubbish down the legside. Styris appeared to be injured and couldn't bowl properly. And McMillan picked up an injury that would hamper his batting.

Credit where credit is due, though, Sri Lanka played well and deserved to win. They even copped a couple of shocking umpiring decisions but didn't let that affect them. I'm sure they'll give Australia (or South Africa, should they make the final) a good run for their money.
  10. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 05:45
    Ok Ok! You've just pointed out an embarrassing lack of originality on my behalf by having to use Pontings words! 😳 Doh!

Yeah, maybe Bondie and Oram can dish some up... but next time. They're out! Maybe they peaked too early?

Lol.. hardcase,,
    oh well we're out.. we did well to make the semis..I didn't really think we would.

I can't understand Fleming standing down as Captain..he's the best Capt in the world.. this has Bracewell's influence all over it..
  11. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 14:18
    South Africa 27 for 5 - got to hand it the Aussies
  12. London
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 21:41
    Australia beat us up! 🙂 Well done Australia, i've expected that...but was really disappointed in yesterday's game...thought New Zealand would beat SL.... Australia surely WC winners this time...
  13. Joined
    13 Sep '05
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 22:20
    I'll definitely be enjoying a World Cup victory (should us Aussies win the final) as it may be the last chance for a while. Several players will retire(eg. McGrath), or retire soon and then we'll have to rebuild.

A little surprised at how easily the South Africans rolled over - though their form wasn't great, I did expect a bit more than 149 all out - especially since they recently climbed to World Number 1! They just don't seem to be able to produce the goods in the games that matter.
  14. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 01:33

My take on why Fleming stepped down as captain was so that they could develop somebody else as captain for the future, namely Vettori. I mean, Fleming did say he still wanted to play on as a batsman in the ODI side, and retain the Test captaincy, so it's not like he'll be gone altogether. He'll still be in the side and will be heavily influential. The question is really if he deserves to make the side as a batsman alone - his form against Sri Lanka (1 run one from the previous five innings against them) would suggest not...

It's also a cunning move him stepping down, because the NZ public will expect some accountability for the poor performance once we reached the semis, and this makes it look like he has accepted that responsibility. But really he doesn't lose much, and probably didn't want the burden of captaincy any longer anyway!
  15. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 03:41
    I'll definitely be enjoying a World Cup victory (should us Aussies win the final) as it may be the last chance for a while. Several players will retire(eg. McGrath), or retire soon and then we'll have to rebuild.

A little surprised at how easily the South Africans rolled over - though their form wasn't great, I did expect a bit more than 149 all out - es ...[text shortened]... ld Number 1! They just don't seem to be able to produce the goods in the games that matter.
    It was plain old pathetic batting.

Anyway - go Sri Lanka!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree