ICC Cricket World Cup

ICC Cricket World Cup

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
Moonchester

Blue Moon

Moves
11 Apr 07

Originally posted by briey1
Strauss should have been made captain for both the Test and one day side. Vaughan is no Brearley, who really did bring value-added as captain. Vaughan is a fine player but he needs match practice before being thrown into the white heat of a World Cup. Flintoff opening is not a bad idea; it can be no worse than being 20-3 at the end of the 12th over, or some such scenario!
Couldn't argue - Brearley was good enough to be in team just with his captaincy.....I'll never understand the England selectors...

Why was Prior suddenyl discarded as well??
A keeper who generally opens in 1 day cricket and can give you that great start.......taking nothing away from Nixon who's done well, but Prior adds something extra.....

I see the WI bowlers had been to the pub before yesterdays game.......they used to have real bowlers once upon a time - what has happened???

E
YNWA

Moves
11 Apr 07

England's World Cup starts today!!! 😵

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
11 Apr 07

Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
England's World Cup starts today!!! 😵
And Ends today too

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
12 Apr 07

Originally posted by invigorate
And Ends today too
You Won You Won You Won
a game..
England Mashed the Bangers.

Well actually scraped home..

After bowling admirably to dismiss the dangerous Bangladesh side to 143, England's top six batsmen failed to fire. Although captain Michael Vaughan top scored with 30, his team limped to 147-6 for a four-wicket triumph.

b

Moves
13 Apr 07

Hmmmmm. Having witnessed Ireland v Australia, who still thinks Ireland v Pakistan was not a fix??

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
13 Apr 07
1 edit

Hmmmmm. Having witnessed Ireland v Australia, who still thinks Ireland v Pakistan was not a fix??
Fixed - crooked as a two bob watch
It's a sad fact that society sets stereotypical messages like the Irish are stupid but generous and honest. I'm afraid it is the opposite for Pakistanis.. who have developed a bad rep
Never buy a car off a Pakistani dealer
and now Never bet on Pakistani Sports Teams
We have a huge Indian Community here and to my mind the rep doesn't apply I could be completely wrong. This is purely my perception in NZ.

Back on Thread there is no doubt the Pakistani Cricket Authorities are changing things in an attempt to stop match fixing.. New team captains appear to have been stripped of a lot of powers already. Good on you..

l
Kara Thrace &

her special destiny

Moves
14 Apr 07

Exactly mate, looks rather suspect now.
Australia's bowlers today were a mixed bag.
Tait would be throwing 150 kph pies at these poor guys and they still find a way to get out. They were 4 for 12 runs at one stage. Tait bowled wide after wide. Painfull to watch.
McGrath was inspirational as always. The "Metronome" has nearly had his spring unwing, but his skill and line and length is a lesson to all fast bowlers. He still got three wickets for 17. Man of the match. Highest wicket taker in World Cup history. See him whack Andrew White, great ball, rising off a good length. Got him next over with a slow ball.
Symonds was bowling average, but Bradd Hogg was bowling well.
Stuart Clark was excellent, bowling eight overs, 1 for 19.
Going good boys! Keep it up.

member 001

Planet Oz

Moves
14 Apr 07

your forgetting Irelands better form up till last nights game ,the aussies would of smacked Pakistan also
i really cant see how you can compare Australia with Pakistan.
You know Ireland gave the pommies a bit of a run

E
YNWA

Moves
14 Apr 07

Kiwi's v South Africa. A win for NZ would help England - England's world cup starts today!

b

Moves
14 Apr 07

Originally posted by boarman
your forgetting Irelands better form up till last nights game ,the aussies would of smacked Pakistan also
i really cant see how you can compare Australia with Pakistan.
You know Ireland gave the pommies a bit of a run
I am afraid the fact that the Irish gave England a tough game proves little considering the form of Vaughan et al.
No, the Australians exposed the Irish as an enthusiastic band of Minor County cricketers. Nothing wrong in that and good luck to them.
The real evidence is the manner of the Pakistani dismissals, repeatedly flashing at balls wide outside the off stump, something every schoolboy is taught not to do!

member 001

Planet Oz

Moves
15 Apr 07

I am afraid the fact that the Irish gave England a tough game proves little considering the form of Vaughan et al.
No, the Australians exposed the Irish as an enthusiastic band of Minor County cricketers. Nothing wrong in that and good luck to them.
The real evidence is the manner of the Pakistani dismissals, repeatedly flashing at balls wide outside the off stump, something every schoolboy is taught not to do!
Vaughan is only one batsman and not a bowler ,so to single him out is not right.
Its funny how only Australia has exposed them as county cricketers .

b

Moves
15 Apr 07

Originally posted by boarman
Vaughan is only one batsman and not a bowler ,so to single him out is not right.
Its funny how only Australia has exposed them as county cricketers .
Heavens to Betsy!
'Vaughan et al', means Vaughan and the rest. I include the whole England team in being below par.
I still contend there was something mighty odd with the Pakistan result.

BM

Moves
16 Apr 07

I think it's unfair on Ireland to suggest that Pakistan threw the game against them... It's possible, but certainly not definite. Ireland are capable of playing well, as they proved against not only Pakistan, but England AND Bangladesh who they beat today. And Bangladesh are not just a flash-in-the-pan, flukey kind of a team, they have real talent.

Can't wait for the England vs South Africa match-up! South Africa has to win if they are to shake off their reputation as World Cup chokers, but I'd love to see England make it to the semis.

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
16 Apr 07

Originally posted by B Money
I think it's unfair on Ireland to suggest that Pakistan threw the game against them... It's possible, but certainly not definite. Ireland are capable of playing well, as they proved against not only Pakistan, but England AND Bangladesh who they beat today. And Bangladesh are not just a flash-in-the-pan, flukey kind of a team, they have real talent.

Can't ...[text shortened]... off their reputation as World Cup chokers, but I'd love to see England make it to the semis.
I really wish match fixing had never reared its ugly head. Whilst I agree on paper Ireland appear to have done well, we will never know if these results against the subcontinental teams are truly genuine.

Today maybe a dress rehearsal for the final. Tomorrow is the only meaningful game of the week. From Wednesday forward there may be a few funny results.

member 001

Planet Oz

Moves
16 Apr 07

Big game tonight that just might be the final
Australia vs Sri Lanka
This game might even test the aussies ,cause up until now they have cruised to victory .