Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. Standard member buffalobill
    Major Bone
    13 Mar '07 07:07
    Well, it starts in earnest today (Tuesday) with West Indies vs Pakistan starting at 14:30 GMT.

    My prediction for the final four? Australia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand. Not West Indies because of home ground disadvantage 8-)

    BTW today is the 1st anniversary of THAT game:
    http://content-rsa.cricinfo.com/rsavaus/content/story/240507.html
  2. Subscriber invigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    13 Mar '07 10:41
    Originally posted by buffalobill
    Well, it starts in earnest today (Tuesday) with West Indies vs Pakistan starting at 14:30 GMT.

    My prediction for the final four? Australia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand. Not West Indies because of home ground disadvantage 8-)

    BTW today is the 1st anniversary of THAT game:
    http://content-rsa.cricinfo.com/rsavaus/content/story/240507.html
    I fancy Sri Lanka as they have the best opening pair and the best spin bowler. They are a one day specialist team and the slow wickets might suit them.

    Australia, South Africa and India will make up the semi-finalists.
  3. Standard member Tirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    13 Mar '07 10:54
    Originally posted by invigorate
    I fancy Sri Lanka as they have the best opening pair and the best spin bowler. They are a one day specialist team and the slow wickets might suit them.

    Australia, South Africa and India will make up the semi-finalists.
    I'll weigh in with an ounce of pessimism.. The Black Caps beat Sri Lanka in the warm up last week I can't see those teams making it..
    I have Australia, South Africa, Pakistan and India for the Semis.
    But
    For once I honestly don't mind so long as the Capts shut up, the Umps don't forget their glasses and the tv camera men remember its the girls in the smallest bikinis we want to see.
    'Course if the kiwis thrash a couple of fancied teams .. so much the better.
    Oh and the icing would be for ponting to go down with larengytis for the tourne.
  4. Subscriber Crowley
    Not Aleister
    13 Mar '07 12:01
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    I'll weigh in with an ounce of pessimism.. The Black Caps beat Sri Lanka in the warm up last week I can't see those teams making it..
    I have Australia, South Africa, Pakistan and India for the Semis.
    But
    For once I honestly don't mind so long as the Capts shut up, the Umps don't forget their glasses and the tv camera men remember its the girls in the ...[text shortened]... e better.
    Oh and the icing would be for ponting to go down with larengytis for the tourne.
    I don't think you should sell the black caps short. You have a very balanced bowling attack (as do SL, Pakistan and India). If the game wickets are not fast, bouncey tracks, England, Aus and SA may struggle.
  5. Standard member buffalobill
    Major Bone
    13 Mar '07 15:04
    Originally posted by Crowley
    I don't think you should sell the black caps short. You have a very balanced bowling attack (as do SL, Pakistan and India).
    And the best captain in the world. This is going to count a lot in this tournament.
  6. 13 Mar '07 15:35
    Has everyone forgotten Canada!?!? I mean a soft group and if the temperature drops about 50 degrees then they'll be right in their element!

    (Before you reply with rancour - I know they have a snowballs chance in the Caribbean (see how I made a funny)!)
  7. Subscriber Crowley
    Not Aleister
    13 Mar '07 17:04
    Originally posted by buffalobill
    And the best captain in the world. This is going to count a lot in this tournament.
    Please god, may we not play them this year.
    Fleming has our friggin number - he's the only reason we've lost against them these past few years...
  8. Standard member buffalobill
    Major Bone
    13 Mar '07 17:45
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    I'll weigh in with an ounce of pessimism.. The Black Caps beat Sri Lanka in the warm up last week I can't see those teams making it..
    I have Australia, South Africa, Pakistan and India for the Semis.
    But
    For once I honestly don't mind so long as the Capts shut up, the Umps don't forget their glasses and the tv camera men remember its the girls in the ...[text shortened]... e better.
    Oh and the icing would be for ponting to go down with larengytis for the tourne.
    Not Pakistan - Kamran Akmal's the worst wicketkeeper in world cricket which probably includes the minor nations. He's missed a catch and a stumping so far today that I've seen. And this is not a one-off, he was just as rubbish in their recent tour of South Africa. You can't gift two wickets a match and expect to be competitive.
  9. Subscriber Crowley
    Not Aleister
    13 Mar '07 22:23
    Originally posted by buffalobill
    Not Pakistan - Kamran Akmal's the worst wicketkeeper in world cricket which probably includes the minor nations. He's missed a catch and a stumping so far today that I've seen. And this is not a one-off, he was just as rubbish in their recent tour of South Africa. You can't gift two wickets a match and expect to be competitive.
    LOL, it was so funny when the commentators in SA started saying things like: "Nice to see Kamran actually take that catch" etc.

    I was laughing so hard, I peed a little...
  10. 13 Mar '07 23:31
    we all know ireland are going to win the world cup







    in september





    ww for this one
  11. Standard member Tirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    14 Mar '07 09:13
    Originally posted by Crowley
    LOL, it was so funny when the commentators in SA started saying things like: "Nice to see Kamran actually take that catch" etc.

    I was laughing so hard, I peed a little...
    no no no re above.. I'm not getting any hopes up I've been crying over Southampton FC football failures ..the last vestige of my pommie heritage but I just love the black caps and All Blacks and just can't wait for good news...

    That keeper got 4 dismissals.. so I gues the ball was beating the bat a fair bit if he missed lots and assisted you to wet yourself haha

    sniff sniff.. phewwww..

    lol..
  12. 14 Mar '07 18:20
    Up the scots anyone?
  13. 15 Mar '07 03:15
    Originally posted by invigorate
    I fancy Sri Lanka as they have the best opening pair and the best spin bowler. They are a one day specialist team and the slow wickets might suit them.

    Australia, South Africa and India will make up the semi-finalists.
    My money's on Australia, Sri Lanka and India. Nearly every good team right now has lost an important player except India. They have an upper hand here. They have the potencial to win but lack the motivation.
  14. Subscriber Crowley
    Not Aleister
    16 Mar '07 19:04
    South Africans murdered the Dutch - Good batting, with records falling all over the place.

    Good stuff Herchelle! 6 sixes off a van Burgen over to get $1 000 000 dollars for charity!

    SWEET!
  15. Standard member lordhighgus
    Kara Thrace &
    17 Mar '07 01:47
    Originally posted by Crowley
    South Africans murdered the Dutch - Good batting, with records falling all over the place.

    Good stuff Herchelle! 6 sixes off a van Burgen over to get $1 000 000 dollars for charity!

    SWEET!
    Not a bad record to get that one. At least the Dutchman will get free beer from that story for the rest of his life. When did Sir Garfield Sobers get his over of sixes?