1. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 20:01
    unless russia slip up, england won't qualify for the european cup. if this happens all the papers will be gunning for mclaren's resignation, but is he really to blame for this mess... two reasons why he isnt...

eriksson and robinson...

eriksson left the team in a mess and robinson's howlers have not done us any favours. also, lets not forget, before mclaren took over how well did england do in the world cup???
  2. 6yd box
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 22:09
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    unless russia slip up, england won't qualify for the european cup. if this happens all the papers will be gunning for mclaren's resignation, but is he really to blame for this mess... two reasons why he isnt...

eriksson and robinson...

eriksson left the team in a mess and robinson's howlers have not done us any favours. also, lets not forget, before mclaren took over how well did england do in the world cup???
    NO...blame the FA..the spinless bunch of W*&kers who give him the job
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 22:17
    I certainly dont think any blame should lie with Eriksson. England qualified for all major tournaments under Sven and I believe his worst (and best!) finish was the quarter final stage.
    I genuinely believe McClaren been a bit unlucky with injuries to top players at crucial times however, there should really be enough depth to have won this group at a canter...He made a big stance on taking the position by dropping Becks, perhaps he needs another big decision on goalkeeper situation...
    Having said all this I was surprised he got the job in the first place!!!!
  4. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 23:40

eriksson and robinson...

Eriksson did fine. Three quarter-finals in a row is a decent performance - unfortunately some people have got the strange idea England should be better than that. What they should be good enough to do is to qualify from a relatively easy group.

I still don't see what McClaren has done in his career to indicate his up to this job.

And remember Robinson isn't picking himself.
  5. Joined
    10 Jul '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '07 00:19

eriksson and robinson...

mclaren IS to blame........ firstly he's supposed to be manager and picks the team so why keep on picking robinson? with james,carson,green all deserving a chance and the return of phil neville and heskey says it all... why? secondly eriksson didnt play the most attractive football but usually was able to get the players to grind out results which became predictable and boring but brang results.... something mclaren dosent seem to be able to do, it hurts to say but we should really bring in a top foreign coach which will bring us a little flair and bring the best out of players such as joe cole,wright-phillips,lennon etc.
    god knows why mclaren was ever appointed his track record at club management was poor to say the least, england will always be predictable with the direct ball which top sides will exploit to easily, would love to see mourinho given a chance, may shake us up abit🙂
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    14 Nov '07 00:40
    When was the last time England didn't qualify?
  7. LA
    Moves
    14 Nov '07 09:102 edits
    mclaren is to blame but its not really his fault.
    He just doesn't have the experience/ability needed for the job.

His track record is:-
    - Assistant coach at Derby
    - Assistant coach at Manchester United
    - Manager at Middlesborough
    - Assistant Manager for England

I would say that is not exaclty world class proven managerial and coaching ability.

England need a proven world class manager to have a chance at being better than a 1/4 final cup cometition team.

The England manager does not have to be English.
    The best Premiership managers are Ferguson, Wenger and Benitez (maybe).

If England had a manager like Anchelotti, Morinhio or Scholari I'm sure we would do much better.
    They have a proven track record of managing world class players and delivering results.

An example is mclaren dropping Beckham.
    Ok, Beckham was not playing well, but if you want the best English squad, why would you not want Beckham on the bench.
    When Beckham played poorly for United, Fergson dropped him to the bench and played Solskia. When Beckham came on he always made an impact.

England have the players (even with injuries) to be a world class team.
    We just need a proven leader to manage the team and have the tactical ability to make changes during a game that get results.

A perfect example of mclarens lack of ability is the CL final of 1999.
    When United got the goal in injury time to level the game against BM, mclaren tried to calm Ferguson down and get the team to play for extra time.
    Ferguson though could sence the victory and encouraged the side to go for the winner, the rest is history.
  8. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '07 09:11
    Originally posted by darvlay
    When was the last time England didn't qualify?
    '94 World Cup?
  9. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    14 Nov '07 10:27
    I'm not a big advocate of having a foreign Manager as England Coach.. in my opinion McClaren shouldn't have been given the job, it's too early in his managerial career.

Terry Venables is still the man for the job!
  10. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '07 11:31
    Originally posted by blade68
    Terry Venables is still the man for the job!
    Ah yes, Terry and his stunning recent managerial record.
  11. Standard memberVirtue76
    King of the Ring-er
    Moves
    14 Nov '07 12:59
    To be fair to Paul Robinson, the goal against Croatia took a nasty bounce off the pitch. No Goalkeeper in the world would have stopped it. McClaren should never have been given the job, his tactics against Croatia were bad, playing three at the back was shocking.

Emile Heskey has played well for England in the recent matches he has been selected in.

Terry Venables? please, he had one good game as England manger and that was in Euro '98. We played well against Holland, played well for one half against Scotland, struggled for a draw against Switzerland and were extremely lucky against Spain.

Beckham played ok on his return but I agreed with McClaren at the time, we had two really good young wingers coming through.

Who else is out there though?
  12. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 Nov '07 14:17
    Originally posted by Virtue76
    To be fair to Paul Robinson, the goal against Croatia took a nasty bounce off the pitch. No Goalkeeper in the world would have stopped it. McClaren should never have been given the job, his tactics against Croatia were bad, playing three at the back was shocking.

Emile Heskey has played well for England in the recent matches he has been selected in.

T ...[text shortened]... the time, we had two really good young wingers coming through.

Who else is out there though?
    if you really want england to win some trophies... shouldnt ferguson be the man for the job....? i think if anything could pull him away from man u it would be this offer.... okay, so he's a scot, but he'd get the job done...
  13. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '07 14:41
    Originally posted by Virtue76
    Beckham played ok on his return but I agreed with McClaren at the time, we had two really good young wingers coming through.
    I agreed with dropping him from the team, but Beckham offered something different to the likes of Lennon & Wright-Phillips (if only his dead ball skills) - worth keeping him in the squad for.

My take on it was that McClaren dropped him from the squad as a "show of strength". Forgetting that a really strong manager wouldn't have felt the need to make such a gesture.
  14. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '07 14:41
    if you really want england to win some trophies... shouldnt ferguson be the man for the job....? i think if anything could pull him away from man u it would be this offer.... okay, so he's a scot, but he'd get the job done...
    I think he's gone on record in the past as saying he wouldn't take the job, but I may be wrong.
  15. Standard memberInlandRevenueUK
    Cause I'm the taxman
    Moves
    14 Nov '07 19:54
    The system, i.e. the Premier League, is to blame for our troubles.

The "Big four" clubs are only interested in creating success and therefore wealth for themselves. This means that they will rarely give young British players a chance, favouring foreign stars instead (Only outstanding players will get a chance)

The rest of the division seems to be constantly worried about relegation. Given the vast difference in money given out in the Premier and Football League relegation is obviously viewed as some sort of disaster by clubs. This again means that clubs will not gamble on young players as they do not have the time to let them develop, instead it's foreign players again.

With so few British players present in our league is it any wonder that fans are feeling so alienated from their clubs? The Premier League seem to be more concerned about selling TV rights to new "fans" in Asia, USA and so on, but how about the fans who have sustained and supported clubs for generations, who are now being disregarded?

The problem will only get worse...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree