1. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    30 May '07 11:05
    Originally posted by malinga
    Our only good forwards have been home-grown – Fowler and Owen. The last forward Liverpool bought who was a success was Dalglish!
    I know there's not been much to shout about recently, but

Ian Rush
    John Aldridge
    Peter Beardsley
    Jari Litmanen (should have been a legend. Another big Houllier mistake)

were all after Dalglish.
  2. Standard membermalinga
    That would be me
    Behind the couch
    Moves
    30 May '07 11:27
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    I know there's not been much to shout about recently, but

Ian Rush
    John Aldridge
    Peter Beardsley
    Jari Litmanen (should have been a legend. Another big Houllier mistake)

were all after Dalglish.
    I should have more specific. I meant that our only good forwards during Uniteds hot streak have been more grown. We seem to buy good forwards (Collymore, Morientes...) who are good everywhere else then play badly for us.

Same could nearly be said for keepers too. Friedel and James have played after and before us than for us.

Litmanen - what a player.
  3. Cavan, Ireland
    Moves
    30 May '07 16:28
    - They can't buy the best like they did in the 70s and 80s, even now IF their new owners show some money it will only put them on a par with Manchester United financially and still way behind Chelsea.
    - They have not had a manager like Ferguson or Wenger. Both managers have proven ability to continually develop youth and also buy good players, Rafa does not seem to be able to do either, even though with the players he has, he is a tactical genious, apparently.
    ferguson sure buys great players
    -djemba djema,
    -brown
    -silvestre
    -ferdinand
    -howard
    these are some of the magical plyers i can think of as i type this sentence
  4. LA
    Moves
    31 May '07 04:37
    Do you also think that United will reach 6 European Cups within 5 years?
    No chance, I would be happy with 1 CL victory in the next 5 years.

What really matters is winning the Premier League anything else is a bonus.

The Champions League is much harder to win these days than the old European Cup was.

The champions League always contains all the best teams in Europe.
    In the old style European Cup you coud get to the semi final without playing a side that would finish in the top ten in the English league.

I realise it is much easier to enter now, but it is also much much harder to win.

When Manchester United won 4 Premier League titles in 5 seasons they had to play the best in Europe and up to 17 games to win the CL, much much harder than the old days.
  5. LA
    Moves
    31 May '07 04:56
    As a Liverpool fan I’m worried about being passed by United in League titles. United are on a great run and are a better team than Liverpool. I do think we’ll win a title within 5 years though.

A Treble is winning 3 trophies. The best Treble ever done was done by United in 1999. There were 2 other trebles in English football history – 1984 which was a clo ...[text shortened]... eded to win a European Trophy was a pulse, then why didn’t United win a UEFA or Cup Winners Cup?
    I think its possible for Liverpool to get back to the top in the next 5 years, but you have to be very lucky in the transfer market to make it.

Who would have thought that Ballack, Crespo and Schevchenko would be so poor?
    Its such a risk buying big from Europe.
    The guy I'm praying Liverpool don't buy is Tevez, I think he has it all and could make any of the top 4 teams much better teams.
    If Liverpool buy Eto or Torres, its alot of money and a big risk.

The Treble Championship, CL and FA Cup is the ultimate achievement a team can attain because if any of the top sides finish with one of the 3 trophys it can be called a sucessful season.
    Winnng any other trophy on its own (eg. League Cup) is a failure.

I think the way United and Chelsea faded at the end of this season truely puts into context what an achievement it was for United to win The Treble in 1999.

The Forest side you mention was a good side, but a good side in a poor league.
    I can remember watchng Forest win the European Cup final and they were in all honesty terrible in the game and I think scored with their only attack (was it Francis?) in the game, but I was very happy they did win.

Again the Villa side was a very good side but not fantastic.
    Would Cowans, Mortimer, Shaw, Morley be classed in the best category today, I don't think so.

I'm just saying Liverpool were in the right place at the right time.
    It was so much easier to win in Europe in the 70's and 80's.

United probably didn't win a European Trophy like the UEFA or Cup Winners Cup becasue although the team had a pulse, the players had more alcholol in their veins than blood.
  6. LA
    Moves
    31 May '07 05:27
    Originally posted by John1916
    ferguson sure buys great players
    -djemba djema,
    -brown
    -silvestre
    -ferdinand
    -howard
    these are some of the magical plyers i can think of as i type this sentence
    Every manager buys bad players but only a few consistently buys good players.
    I have to correct you slightly with the list you posted:-
    Djemba Djemba - 5m and terrible
    Brown - Cost nothing, youth team player and a good backup RB or CH.
    Silvestre - 5m and allright at LB and terribe at CB.
    Ferdinand - 29m, overpriced but a very good CB.
    Howard - 2.5m, bought as a backup goal keeper with potential, not bad backup for 2m.

Recent Good Buys (forget about price, its good players that are needed):
    (FERGUSON)
    Ronaldo 12m
    Rooney 27m
    Vidic 7m
    Evra 5m
    Foster 1.5m
    Heinz 5m
    Ferdinand 27m
    Carrick 17m
    Van Nistelrooy 17m
    Van Der Sar 3m

(WENGER: Good buys)
    Fabregas ?m
    Van Persie 10m
    Toure ?m
    Henry 12m
    Viera 5m

WENGER BAD BUYS: Van Bronkhorst 8m, Jeffers 10m, Reyes 17m, Hleb ?m, Almunia ?m, Richard Wright ?m,

LIVERPOOL GOOD BUYS:
    - I cant think of any.

LIVERPOOL BAD BUYS:
    - Every player they have bought in the last 5 years, except Alonso who is ok and Reina who is ok.
  7. LA
    Moves
    31 May '07 05:33
    Saying we are not a big club on world stage is just daft mate. If we’re so small then why do United need to catch them in all trophies bar the FA Cup?

Seriously, most of your posts have at least been grounded in reality but Liverpool not a big club? Cop on.
    You are right I should correct myself.
    Liverpool are not the biggest club in England but I would say the 2nd biggest club in England and I know you are the most successful club in England.

On the world stage Liverpool are still a very big club I would estimate about 6th biggest World Recognized Club because of your overall history and recent sucess in Europe.
  8. Standard memberasromacalcio
    asromacalcio
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Moves
    31 May '07 06:15
    Not often my threads reach more than five posts.

Thanks for the response.

Good luck next season.
  9. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    31 May '07 08:001 edit
    Originally posted by asromacalcio
    Not often my threads reach more than five posts.

Really? I'd have thought people would be queuing up to shoot you down.
  10. LA
    Moves
    31 May '07 08:41
    I should have more specific. I meant that our only good forwards during Uniteds hot streak have been more grown. We seem to buy good forwards (Collymore, Morientes...) who are good everywhere else then play badly for us.

Same could nearly be said for keepers too. Friedel and James have played after and before us than for us.

Litmanen - what a player.
    Thats the scary thing about buying foreign players.
    There is no guarantee.

Look at 3 of Uniteds biggest failures: Forlan, Veron and Kleberson.

Forlan is now one of the best strikers in Spain along with Kanoute, can you believe it?
    Morientes is playing well again.

I'm very happy United are making moves so early in the transfer window but am worried about Tevez.
    I think he is the real player that can add 10 points to a team in a season.

I know United can't afford him now so I hope he goes to Real Madrid.

I'm just not convinced about Eto, he looks great in Spain, but how will he look against 9 Blackburn defenders on a rainy night in November?

Tevez will produce the goods will Eto or Torres?
  11. Standard membermalinga
    That would be me
    Behind the couch
    Moves
    31 May '07 13:48
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue

1. Its such a risk buying big from Europe.

2. United probably didn't win a European Trophy like the UEFA or Cup Winners Cup becasue although the team had a pulse, the players had more alcholol in their veins than blood.[/b]
    1 - United are taking big risks today then.

2 - An excuse of too much drinking? God love ye.
  12. Standard membermalinga
    That would be me
    Behind the couch
    Moves
    31 May '07 13:48
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue

1. Its such a risk buying big from Europe.

2. United probably didn't win a European Trophy like the UEFA or Cup Winners Cup becasue although the team had a pulse, the players had more alcholol in their veins than blood.[/b]

13. Standard membermalinga
    That would be me
    Behind the couch
    Moves
    31 May '07 13:52
    Liverpools best 14 year period was 1976 to 1990.
    During that time Liverpool won 10 leagues (Runners Up in other 4 years), 4 European Cups (1 Runners Up), 2 FA Cups (2 Runners Up), 1 UEFA Cup, 4 League Cups (2 Runners Up). That’s 21 golds and 9 silvers.

United’s best 14 year period runs 1993 to 2007
    During that time United won 9 Leagues (3 Runners Up), 1 European Cup, 4 FA Cups (3 Runners Up), 1 League Cup (2 Runners Up). That’s 15 golds and 8 silvers.

Stats are great, aren't they? No ASROMA or Ronney response to this post...
  14. LA
    Moves
    01 Jun '07 05:531 edit

I totally agree that both Nani and Anderson are risks, but....

- We have the advantage that their style of play fits Uniteds style
    - United have a Portugese coach and Ronaldo to help him get use to England
    - When Fergie buys talent for >10m he has a track record for getting it right
    - Its exactly the same risk United took with Ronaldo and Rooney
    - Fergie is as good as it gets at getting the best out of players
    - Probably most important, Nani and Anderson are not under pressure to perform from game 1, we have such a talented midfield and they are both young, they will get time and less pressure to deliver. Any big player Liverpool buy will be under BIG pressure to perform.
  15. LA
    Moves
    01 Jun '07 05:57
    Liverpools best 14 year period was 1976 to 1990.
    During that time Liverpool won 10 leagues (Runners Up in other 4 years), 4 European Cups (1 Runners Up), 2 FA Cups (2 Runners Up), 1 UEFA Cup, 4 League Cups (2 Runners Up). That’s 21 golds and 9 silvers.

United’s best 14 year period runs 1993 to 2007
    During that time United won 9 Leagues (3 Runners Up), ...[text shortened]... ds and 8 silvers.

Stats are great, aren't they? No ASROMA or Ronney response to this post...
    I've said it before and I'll say it again.
    Liverpool are the most succesful English side and were more succesful than United in a 14 year spell.

But, Manchester United had to play against much better opposition in both England and Europe than Liverpool did in their good spell.

Also Manchester Uniteds good spell has not finishedd and with our 3 new signings there is every indication it will continue for years to come and Manchester United will at some point in the next 10 years become the most sucessful English side (19 Championships).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree