MLB 2011

MLB 2011

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
06 Apr 11

Originally posted by whodey
We are the champions, my friends!!

How bout them Reds!! They won their opener in the bottom of the 9nth with 2 outs. Love it!!

So who will lose to the Reds in the World Series this year?

Speculations?
I am so glad to see the giants off to a good start.

w

Moves
07 Apr 11

Originally posted by RBHILL
I am so glad to see the giants off to a good start.
Indeed!!

All I know is that my Reds are undefeated right now. They are not just winning, they are killling teams left and right and Shorty is no where to be seen.

Where did he go? :'(

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
07 Apr 11

Indeed!!

All I know is that my Reds are undefeated right now. They are not just winning, they are killling teams left and right and Shorty is no where to be seen.

I am here.

You ready to wager yet?

You are ready to declare the season over in less than a week?

Who have the Reds played????

The Phillies? NO...
The Giants...NO...

A word to the wise....there is great wisdom in Tony LaRussa's speech yesterday.

I guarantee you no national championships in Ohio this year.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
08 Apr 11

Indeed!!

The magic ride is over at the expense of the team that hadn't yet won a game.
Now, enough of this non-sense.

We'll talk again in September.

w

Moves
08 Apr 11

Originally posted by shortcircuit
A word to the wise....there is great wisdom in Tony LaRussa's speech yesterday.

I guarantee you no national championships in Ohio this year.[/b]
You can tell Tony to go bury his head in another plate of pasta.

I'll never forget the look on his face the year the Reds beat him and went on the win the World Series that year.

Priceless!! 😵

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
08 Apr 11

You can tell Tony to go bury his head in another plate of pasta.

I'll never forget the look on his face the year the Reds beat him and went on the win the World Series that year.

Priceless!! 😵
The Reds were such heavy underdogs in that world series against Oakland.

I was in Las Vegas at the time the world series was about to begin.
There was a bet offered on the board at the time that was listed at 1000-1 odds
It was for the Reds to win the world series in a 4 game sweep.
A guy who was there with us (the uncle of my friend) decided to take a shot at that bet.
He had just won $5,000 on the craps tables, so he figured he was playing with house money.
He puts $1,000 taking the Reds to sweep.
We told him he was nuts. First Oakland was damn good. Second it was tough for anyone to sweep.
He just said "what the hell". He had a hunch.

When the Reds won game 3 he had several offers of $500,000 for that ticket.
We said he should take the money and he said he was holding firm.
The SOB won a cool million bucks for that bet.
I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

w

Moves
11 Apr 11
1 edit

The Reds were such heavy underdogs in that world series against Oakland.

I was in Las Vegas at the time the world series was about to begin.
There was a bet offered on the board at the time that was listed at 1000-1 odds
It was for the Reds to win the world series in a 4 game sweep.
A guy who was there with us (the uncle of my friend) decided to t ion bucks for that bet.
I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.
That series was not a fluke. Baseball is all about pitching and that club was loaded with it. In fact, if you made it to the 7th inning, game over. The Nasty Boys were lying in wait.

Unfortunatly, when it comes to sports offense is glorified before all else. It is also why my Buckeyes were not favored to even compete when they beat Miami in the NCG.

As far as the Reds go, the way thier pitching is shaping up I think maybe is have mispoke even though they are riding high in first place right now.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
11 Apr 11

That series was not a fluke. Baseball is all about pitching and that club was loaded with it. In fact, if you made it to the 7th inning, game over. The Nasty Boys were lying in wait.

Unfortunatly, when it comes to sports offense is glorified before all else. It is also why my Buckeyes were not favored to even compete when they beat Miami in the NCG.
...[text shortened]... ping up I think maybe is have mispoke even though they are riding high in first place right now.
Oakland had plenty of pitching too.

Dave Stewart had better stats than all of the Reds starters.
Bob Welch was also a Series veteran having been on Dodger teams that were there.
I would say those two easily matched up against the oft injured Jose Rijo and Tom Browning.

Mike Moore and Curt Young was as good as Danny Jackson and whoever the Reds would trot out 4th

And, while the nasty boys lurked in the bullpen for the Reds, arguably one of the greatest closers in history in Dennis Eckersley, to send out for them.

So your statement that the Reds had all the pitching in that series is totally wrong.
And, Oakland's hitting dwarfed the Reds hitting.

THAT is why it was a huge upset that the Reds won (go ask the bookies if you don't believe it)...and even more so that they won it in 4 games.

w

Moves
11 Apr 11
2 edits

Oakland had plenty of pitching too.

Dave Stewart had better stats than all of the Reds starters.
Bob Welch was also a Series veteran having been on Dodger teams that were there.
I would say those two easily matched up against the oft injured Jose Rijo and Tom Browning.

Mike Moore and Curt Young was as good as Danny Jackson and whoever the Reds w n (go ask the bookies if you don't believe it)...and even more so that they won it in 4 games.
Who cares what their Hall of Fame numbers were? In fact, a pitcher like Rob Dibble was only effective for a handfull of years, but at that time, he was one of the best. Simply put, pitchers like Rijo/Dibble/Browning etc. were peaking at that time in October. Hall of Fame numbers don't win you a World Series.

Mark my words, sweeping a team in a World Series is NEVER a fluke.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
11 Apr 11

Who cares what their Hall of Fame numbers were? In fact, a pitcher like Rob Dibble was only effective for a handfull of years, but at that time, he was one of the best. Simply put, pitchers like Rijo/Dibble/Browning etc. were peaking at that time in October. Hall of Fame numbers don't win you a World Series.

Mark my words, sweeping a team in a World Series is NEVER a fluke.
Mark my words....sweeping a team in the World Series is usually a fluke.

The greatest Franchises in MLB history (no the Reds are not among them) rarely swept World Series.

You are speaking of two teams, who were not flukes, making it to the championship.

And, Mr. Einstein, the HOF numbers are indicative of quality over a career and were mentioned
to show that the opposition to the Reds wasn't throwing chopped liver at them.
No one will ever mistake a single hurler on that Red's staff for a HOF'er.

That being said, in a short series, anything can happen.
The key to that series was Rijo out-pitching Dave Stewart.
The Reds didn't exactly light Stewie up either.

But you conjure your dreams up however you like so you can sleep well at night.
Rest assured, the Big Red Machine of the early 70's was the best Cincy ever produced.
They did it with hitting, because they didn't have much pitching.
But then, with that group of hitters, they didn't need much pitching.
Again....no HOF pitchers, but a ton of HOF hitters from those teams.

w

Moves
13 Apr 11

But you conjure your dreams up however you like so you can sleep well at night.
Rest assured, the Big Red Machine of the early 70's was the best Cincy ever produced.
They did it with hitting, because they didn't have much pitching.
But then, with that group of hitters, they didn't need much pitching.
Again....no HOF pitchers, but a ton of HOF hitters from those teams.[/b]
The Reds did not have much pitching? In 1975 the Reds were third in the league in pitching producing 5 pitchers with ERA's under 3.00. Granted, they had an incredible offense, but that is hardly all they had.

w

Moves
13 Apr 11
2 edits

And, Mr. Einstein, the HOF numbers are indicative of quality over a career and were mentioned
to show that the opposition to the Reds wasn't throwing chopped liver at them.
No one will ever mistake a single hurler on that Red's staff for a HOF'er.

That being said, in a short series, anything can happen.
The key to that series was Rijo out-pitching Dave Stewart.
The Reds didn't exactly light Stewie up either.
So first you say that none of the Reds pitchers were ever Hall of Fame calliber but, on the other hand, the reason they won was because Rijo outpitched Dave Stewart?

Like I said, during that series the Reds pitching peaked in comparison to the A's. Their overall careers of the Reds pitchers may not have led them to the Hall of Fame, but that does not mean during that series they were not better.

It kinda reminds me of all the Griffey lovers out there when KGJ played for the Reds. I would harp about why on earth he was hitting clean up every day when he clearly was a subpar player on the team. Then all the KGJ lovers would proudly point to his Hall of Fame numbers.........that he accumulated as a Mariner. He was by far the worst trade in Cincinnati Reds history and was subpar throughout his tenure as a Red. So the Hall of Fame can go jump off a bridge as far as I'm concerned as a Reds fan, and that goes for Pete Rose as well. 😠

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
13 Apr 11

So first you say that none of the Reds pitchers were ever Hall of Fame calliber but, on the other hand, the reason they won was because Rijo outpitched Dave Stewart?

Like I said, during that series the Reds pitching peaked in comparison to the A's. Their overall careers of the Reds pitchers may not have led them to the Hall of Fame, but that does not mean ...[text shortened]... off a bridge as far as I'm concerned as a Reds fan, and that goes for Pete Rose as well. 😠
Now you hate Pete Rose???

Sparky Anderson will piss on your grave from the great ballpark in the sky.

the 1975 Reds pitching staff was awesome, right?

Rotation of monsters: Don Gullett, Jack Billingham, Gary Nolan & Fred Norman LMAO!!
Bullpen : Clay Carroll, Pedro Borbon, Pat Darcy, Rawly Eastwick & Will McEnany LMAO!!

HOF'ers: Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan, Tony Perez
Should be HOF'ers : Pete Rose, Dave Concepcion
Very good players: George Foster, Ken Griffey,Sr.
Decent players: Dan Driessen, Cesar Geronimo

Case closed. Pitching DID NOT EVER carry this team....PERIOD

Moves
13 Apr 11

Mark my words....sweeping a team in the World Series is usually a fluke.
2007 - poor rookies. fluke or an ass kicking by a much better team?

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
13 Apr 11

Originally posted by trev33
2007 - poor rookies. fluke or an ass kicking by a much better team?
Funny that you typed rookies instead of Rockies because they were rookies.
I still contend that sweeps are flukes, but this one didn't surprise me as much since the favorite won the series.
The Reds were serious underdogs against they A's and then swept them, so that one was a shocker, despite whodey's protests otherwise.