Rugby Season

Rugby Season

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W

Moves
05 Jul 08

Originally posted by Crowley
Naah, that's bull. Steenkamp, 'Beast' and Mujati are all good scrummagers.
The best team we have is over there.

If any team has a dominant scrum at the moment it's the all blacks. You guys are seriously solid now.
Ohhhh.. the beast!

W

Moves
05 Jul 08

Our half-back is useless!!!! Why cant we have a half-back like Georgy Gregan.. get that ball out fast so the backs can do their thing. Half-time.. All Blacks 9 S.A. 8.

W

Moves
05 Jul 08

A.B.s win 19-8.

These Africanos will be hard when they finally get to play at home after their long series of away games when the tri-nations is out of their grasp.

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
05 Jul 08

stuck at work til midnight caught it on the radio .. sounded like a cracker of a game in true tradition. Heard the SA pride and enjoyment in the game afterwards..that was great. Hope to catch a replay tomorow . hope hope..

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
06 Jul 08
3 edits

Damn, that was a pretty hard game. Both sides were very aggressive, but the all black forwards gave us a lesson in support play - they were amazing...
Congrats on a good win.

Like I said, the ABs have a serious scrum now, although the boks still have the best lineout in world rugby. If only some of those lineout steals can go to the scrum-half instead of just putting us under more pressure, it could've been different.
Our scrum is solid, but the ABs definitely had an edge. Now it's going to be hard graft with John Smit and CJ van der Linde both doubtful starters.

In the end, the game will be remembered, not for the hard hits and some great rugby at times, but for the 4 REALLY bad calls by the referee and his assistants...
1) Thorn should have received at least a yellow card when he upended Smit.
2) Bakkies Botha was never off-side when he tackled Ellis inside his goal area and SA should've had a 5 meter scrum.
3) No all black was close to being in front of Carter when he put a kick in which resulted in a try.
4) Habana did not carry the ball over the line at the end and it should've been a 22 drop, not a scrum for the ABs

So'oialo was also lucky he didn't connect a punch right in front of the ref, or he would've been sent off...

In the end though, the boks had enough chances, but many aimless kicks and too many handling errors (as I said earlier, cold and wet conditions would be a serious disadvantage for the boks) meant we made the game too easy for the all blacks.
The all blacks were very disciplined, the forwards just got top the ball quickly, got it out quickly and Dan Carter was never under pressure. You can't allow a player of Carter's quality to just dictate a match, or you will never have it easy...

member 001

Planet Oz

Moves
06 Jul 08

Damn, that was a pretty hard game. Both sides were very aggressive, but the all black forwards gave us a lesson in support play - they were amazing...
Congrats on a good win.

Like I said, the ABs have a serious scrum now, although the boks still have the best lineout in world rugby. If only some of those lineout steals can go to the scrum-half instead of ...[text shortened]... a player of Carter's quality to just dictate a match, or you will never have it easy...
Talk about players punching.
Did you see the game of Australia and France, The French players really threw some.

Moves
06 Jul 08

Originally posted by boarman
Talk about players punching.
Did you see the game of Australia and France, The French players really threw some.
Yeah, they love their brawling in the Top 14... especially when they're being outclassed.

l
Kara Thrace &

her special destiny

Moves
10 Jul 08

I read in todays press that the coaches of N.Z and S.Africa were to meet with the ref to "clear the air" prior to saturdays' game.
Too late! It will be WW3 and i'll be loving it.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
10 Jul 08

Originally posted by lordhighgus
I read in todays press that the coaches of N.Z and S.Africa were to meet with the ref to "clear the air" prior to saturdays' game.
Too late! It will be WW3 and i'll be loving it.
Yeah, saw that.

Why can't South African players not shake this "brawler" stigma around our players? I can just imagine the punishment someone like Bakkies Botha would've gotten if he had speared Ritchie McCaw like that...

t

Moves
11 Jul 08

Yeah, saw that.

Why can't South African players not shake this "brawler" stigma around our players? I can just imagine the punishment someone like Bakkies Botha would've gotten if he had speared Ritchie McCaw like that...
It wasn't a spear - not even close.

But it was a damn stupid thing to do and as a Kiwi I'm not too upset he's banned for a week.

On a semi-related note, I sometimes think that referees come down too hard on retaliation. If (I'll reverse the teams 😉) an All Black rucked a Saffer lying on the bottom of a ruck in the head and another Saffer reacted by punching out the All Black, the chances are that he'd be sent off as well as the AB culprit - which I think sucks.

s

6yd box

Moves
12 Jul 08
1 edit

SA 30 NZ 28
An fantastic second half of rugby.

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
12 Jul 08

Well done boks.. I knew you guys were the better team.. and looked it throughout you all lined up in set drills when ever you went forward and looked very dangerous. how the abs got the territory beats me.. No game plan evident in the abs.. again a result of stupid rotation. six rotations and Mulialana chucked out on the wing.. for heaven sake we really need a coach.. volunteers anyone?? no well how about your gran.. she'd be better than our mob. Did the abs win a line out at all?
laugh both sides had a few good runs.. we saw decent tackling, thought the scrums were both a bit shakey, not one big punch up 😉
Graeme Henry summed it up for the abs.. we lacked continuity! absolutely agree with Graeme.. how about selecting the same team for two in row then maybe we'll get continuity.

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
12 Jul 08
1 edit

Morning after the game and it's reported that Graeme Henry is complaining that Daniel Carter was targeted with late hits throughout the game. Rubbish!
Carter was getting hit because Ellis is such a slow half back that he has to stand closer to the ruck to receive the ball from Ellis and the SA loosies were quite rightly all over him.

Have to laugh:While drinking a watching rugger in a rural farmhouse in NZ is a heck of a lot of fun, the real entertainment was the women in the room... who last night, though professing dying devotion to Daniel Carter... wouldn't mind getting under "that lovely blonde SA loosie's ruck" 😵

footnote : they also said they wanted to know his hair stylists number!

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
13 Jul 08

Originally posted by treetalk
It wasn't a spear - not even close.

But it was a damn stupid thing to do and as a Kiwi I'm not too upset he's banned for a week.

On a semi-related note, I sometimes think that referees come down too hard on retaliation. If (I'll reverse the teams 😉) an All Black rucked a Saffer lying on the bottom of a ruck in the head and another Saffer reacted by p ...[text shortened]... ack, the chances are that he'd be sent off as well as the AB culprit - which I think sucks.
Are you kidding me? How much closer do you want it? If Smit had just turned his head the wrong way his neck could've been broken!

L

Moves
13 Jul 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Tirau Dan
Well done boks.. I knew you guys were the better team..
Finally a New Zealander who can take a rugby loss with some grace...
But i don't nescesarry think SA was the better team, -I think the rugby gods just favoured us yesterday. -It could have gone to any team.
The one thing that came out of yesterdays game is proof that there is very few if any teams in the world who can compete with the Boks or the all Blacks. Will be interesting to see what the Aussies do, -They have 3 weeks of tough games ahead...