Rugby World Cup

Rugby World Cup

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

member 001

Planet Oz

Moves
22 Oct 07

Originally posted by Crowley
The forwards really dominated the game, even made a scrum turnover. In the loose phases, the English couldn't really slow the ball down in good ol' English rugby fashion, because the forwards got to the breakdowns pretty quick and in numbers.

What I like about this current bok side is, they seem so confident and well balanced. They see and plan beforehand ...[text shortened]... orry was Tonga 😕

This must have been the easiest road ever to the Webb Ellis trophy ever.
What I like about this current bok side is, they seem so confident and well balanced. They see and plan beforehand what they need to do to win and then go out and do it.
This final, case in point: The boks knew they had to put Wilkinson under pressure; nullify the English scrum; disrupt their lineout; get to the breakdowns in numbers and go in hard; blunt the pick and drive;

If any team does this they win.
You Crowley have definitely said this through one eye.
To think that SA totally dominated this game it is obvious to everyone here that you must still have been drunk since '95.
Yes SA won ,BUT it wasnt as convincing as you make out.
SA totally dominated the lineouts ,Matfield is definitely the best forward running around in Rugby at the moment,he can just read the oppositions lineout so well.

World Cup finals dont come everyday so the players would not of left anything in the tank ,so as you said the Boks didnt engage top gear is laughable,they were trying ,but the pommies just didnt let them .

So keep looking through that one eyed monocle ,keep sipping your champers ,and in 4 years you will still be drunk when the Kiwi's and Aussies play out the final.

S

Moves
22 Oct 07

Originally posted by boarman
What I like about this current bok side is, they seem so confident and well balanced. They see and plan beforehand what they need to do to win and then go out and do it.
This final, case in point: The boks knew they had to put Wilkinson under pressure; nullify the English scrum; disrupt their lineout; get to the breakdowns in numbers and go in hard; blunt ...[text shortened]... ampers ,and in 4 years you will still be drunk when the Kiwi's and Aussies play out the final.
Why 4 years? Don't you plan on giving it all in the Tri nations next year?

member 001

Planet Oz

Moves
22 Oct 07

Originally posted by Senta
Why 4 years? Don't you plan on giving it all in the Tri nations next year?
Next world cup is in 4 years .

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
22 Oct 07

To think that SA totally dominated this game it is obvious to everyone here that you must still have been drunk since '95.
Yes SA won ,BUT it wasnt as convincing as you make out.
SA totally dominated the lineouts ,Matfield is definitely the best forward running around in Rugby at the moment,he can just read the oppositions lineout so well.

World Cup fin ...[text shortened]... ks didnt engage top gear is laughable,they were trying ,but the pommies just didnt let them .
I don't know what game you were watching, buddy. The English never had a chance.
The boks made all the play and forced the penalties. Percy slotted them and we never had to do more or take any real chances.
I actually wish they had scored that try, then the boks would've started to give the ball some air and Habana would've broken Jonah's record.

But hey! What do I know? I haven't played as much rugby as you have.
Please disregard everything I have said 😕

member 001

Planet Oz

Moves
22 Oct 07

I don't know what game you were watching, buddy. The English never had a chance.
The boks made all the play and forced the penalties. Percy slotted them and we never had to do more or take any real chances.
I actually wish they had scored that try, then the boks would've started to give the ball some air and Habana would've broken Jonah's record.

But h ...[text shortened]... ow? I haven't played as much rugby as you have.
Please disregard everything I have said 😕
That last line of yours is correct.

You really should comment without being so biased.

I guess the Boks out bored the red rose brigade.
The most boring game of the tournament.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
22 Oct 07

That last line of yours is correct.

You really should comment without being so biased.

I guess the Boks out bored the red rose brigade.
The most boring game of the tournament.
Ha! Go look up sarchasm.

I try to be objective and this is my opinion 😕
It's also the opinion of many rugby journalists, but we should probably find out how much rugby they played before they can be seen as a reputable source, eh mate?

Of course the game was going to be boring. It's the world cup final. It would've been a dull, tense and very tight game no matter who played. Why would this surprise you?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
22 Oct 07

Ha! Go look up sarchasm.
I did:
http://www.unwords.com/unword/sarchasm.html

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
22 Oct 07

The boks dominated and looked like scoring a few times - the English only once.
So which of these are you discarding as being a try scoring chance?
1) The disallowed try
2) Tait being stopped 2 yards short of the try line having beaten half the Bok team.

Thanks in advance.

D

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
22 Oct 07

Next world cup is in 4 years .
Yes...
For every fan's sake, I hope we don't have four years of B team tests and reconstruction experiments before seeing a real test again.
There is a lot of talk here now of keeping Graham Henry and his rotation.. ugh. I seem to be the only one saying that this is the worst AB squad since the 70's and I base that on error count and lack of hardness no opposition are scared of this team like they used to be.

PS Crowley haha we'll never let you forget the easy road and will always rub your nose in it.. that's the spirit of our camaraderie put a slab of mutton on the briar fill the glasses and allow us the only thing we have left to throw at you ;-) You have the Cup just poke your tongue out and smile

Major Bone

On yer tail ...

Moves
22 Oct 07

Originally posted by Ragnorak
So which of these are you discarding as being a try scoring chance?
1) The disallowed try
2) Tait being stopped 2 yards short of the try line having beaten half the Bok team.

Thanks in advance.

D
On the other hand, the Boks also came pretty close a couple of times from one of which the English gave away a penalty which Percy slotted.

I think it only vaguely looked close because in the last 20, SA suddenly couldn't find the touchline which gave the English the chance to run back at them - which, you've got to admit, was their only chance at that stage.

The non-try was oh-so close and I wouldn't have complained (too much) if it was given. That would have changed the complexion of the game. I agree that SA would then have attacked more, but as it turned out, they didn't really have to. Instead, they played percentage rugby, kept the mistakes and penalties down and won comfortably in the end.

I don't know the penalty count, but off-hand I'd say England gave away a lot more which is the sign of a team under pressure. SA played with considerable discipline.

As for the push on Percy - pure pique and deserving of a yellow card for being both illegal and dangerous. Yet not even a penalty. Anyway, that's done and dusted.

As for NZ, pfft, and for the detractors of the final, double pfft. You only think it was boring because it wasn't close. Finals are rarely pretty.

m

Moves
23 Oct 07

Originally posted by buffalobill
I don't know the penalty count, but off-hand I'd say England gave away a lot more which is the sign of a team under pressure. SA played with considerable discipline.
The first two penalties were daft mistakes, not really the result of pressure (England had more possession in the first 20 minutes). Firstly Tait tried a side-step in front of the posts when he should have kicked, slipped, and then didn't release the ball. And there was the trip - completely pointless, that was.

Later on they were more down to the pressure. SA, while never being spectacular, made very few mistakes.

Major Bone

On yer tail ...

Moves
23 Oct 07

Originally posted by mtthw
The first two penalties were daft mistakes, not really the result of pressure (England had more possession in the first 20 minutes). Firstly Tait tried a side-step in front of the posts when he should have kicked, slipped, and then didn't release the ball. And there was the trip - completely pointless, that was.

Later on they were more down to the pressure. SA, while never being spectacular, made very few mistakes.
Well, the way I saw it, Wonderboy was under pressure, passed it back to Tait who was not in much of a better position - and then slipped. Johnny didn't have a happy game.

member 001

Planet Oz

Moves
23 Oct 07

Ha! Go look up sarchasm.

I try to be objective and this is my opinion 😕
It's also the opinion of many rugby journalists, but we should probably find out how much rugby they played before they can be seen as a reputable source, eh mate?

Of course the game was going to be boring. It's the world cup final. It would've been a dull, tense and very tight game no matter who played. Why would this surprise you?
Maybe you should go look up sarcasm ,then you at least would know how to spell it.

Maybe you should find out if they had played before,school rugby doesnt count that much.Most rugby journalists over here have never even played the game.

So you are saying that all world cup finals are boring ,the last one wasnt, 🙂

m

Moves
23 Oct 07

Originally posted by buffalobill
Well, the way I saw it, Wonderboy was under pressure, passed it back to Tait who was not in much of a better position - and then slipped. Johnny didn't have a happy game.
Tait had plenty of time to kick - but went for an ambitious sidestep without support around him.

Major Bone

On yer tail ...

Moves
23 Oct 07

Originally posted by mtthw
Tait had plenty of time to kick - but went for an ambitious sidestep without support around him.
Since when did Johnny *ever* pass the ball in his 22? Tait was completely surprised!