1. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '12 19:50
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Erm, no. Not nearly.

Scottish English is a dialect of English, i.e. the same language.
    Lowland Scots (which is not the same thing) could reasonably be seen as a language descended from English, which would make it as close to English as Afrikaans is to Dutch, i.e., pretty bluidy close.

Dutch is closely related to both English and Scots - they're ...[text shortened]... ters and Rangic, bluidy hill-dwellers? Let'em play shinty, or catching the caber!

Richard
    well ok you have a point but we have words that you will not find in any English
    dictionary. In fact we have our own Scots dictionary! As for the fitba' today it was
    declared that the owner of Rangers was unfit to preside over a football team and
    Rangers may be charged with bringing the game into ill repute, like it was ever
    respectable, you gotta laugh at some of these lunacies, decided by some fat cat in a
    leafy suburb somewhere!
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 Mar '12 22:57
    Originally posted by bill718
    Take pride in your football shallow. No matter where it's played in Europe, you can bet it's superior to anything in the USA. European football is REAL football. American football sucks! My ancestors came from Scotland, (I wish they had stayed there.)😏
    Actually the US football club is on a hot streak right now.
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 12:27
    talksport have just reported that celtic are in talks to move to the championship, possibly division 1!!!!!
  4. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 13:24
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    We dont speak the same language, we speak lowlands Scots as distinct from English as Dutch is from French!
    C'mon stop winding people up.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 13:44
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    talksport have just reported that celtic are in talks to move to the championship, possibly division 1!!!!!
    You mean the English championship, always annoys me how they call it the
    championship, its the English premier league, Celtic would have teams like Swansea,
    Blackpool, Middlesbrough, Sheffield for breakfast on a good day. But there is
    something wrong at Parkhead at the moment, there is no sense of community among
    the players, this is Lennon's greatest failing.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 13:46
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    C'mon stop winding people up.
    Perhaps a leaf through a Scots dictionary might persuade you otherwise.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 13:48
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Well, we Dutchmen can, no matter how we play now and especially no matter how low our league has sunk, at least take pride in the fact that both our national team and our clubs laid some of the foundations for the best football played in the world. After all, where would Barcelona be without people like Cruijff?
    But alas, for the league at least, that is all in the past.

Richard
    what has happened?
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 14:51
    You mean the English championship, always annoys me how they call it the
    championship, its the English premier league, Celtic would have teams like Swansea,
    Blackpool, Middlesbrough, Sheffield for breakfast on a good day. But there is
    something wrong at Parkhead at the moment, there is no sense of community among
    the players, this is Lennon's greatest failing.
    you are right, i can see how it does seem arrogant to refer to it as 'the championship' or 'the premier league' my apologies. i hope it happens though. id love to see celtic in the english and welsh premier league.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 15:16
    you are right, i can see how it does seem arrogant to refer to it as 'the championship' or 'the premier league' my apologies. i hope it happens though. id love to see celtic in the english and welsh premier league.
    i thought that you were joking, were they seriously discussing the prospect?
  10. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 15:37
    Perhaps a leaf through a Scots dictionary might persuade you otherwise.
    I know the language exists but who who are these "we" , is it the royal 'we'?
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 21:51
    i thought that you were joking, were they seriously discussing the prospect?
    i kid you not, although it was on talksport not the most reliable news reporters in the world. they mentioned something about it almost happening a few years back, but didnt give much detail. its only celtic in talks, rangers may be left back in scotland. im hoping boro go the other way in the deal, we would become the biggest club in scotland, we are closer to edinburgh than london and hate the southerners more than you lot do, we will fit right in.
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    22 Mar '12 20:58
    what has happened?
    Money, plain and simple.

Richard
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    22 Mar '12 21:06
    You mean the English championship, always annoys me how they call it the championship, its the English premier league,
    Er, no. The Championship and the Premier League are not the same thing.

I do agree that it is odd that you can be in League One and still only be in the third tier, but that's how those nutty Anglos have arranged their Footie League: three "top" leagues under one another. Neither are they the only ones. The Dutch leagues have similarly silly names.

Richard
  14. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    24 Mar '12 18:19
    i kid you not, although it was on talksport not the most reliable news reporters in the world. they mentioned something about it almost happening a few years back, but didnt give much detail. its only celtic in talks, rangers may be left back in scotland. im hoping boro go the other way in the deal, we would become the biggest club in scotland, we are c ...[text shortened]... er to edinburgh than london and hate the southerners more than you lot do, we will fit right in.
    Stop teasing us southerners, do you mean it, would you really go to scotland and leave us. We could have a collection down here and pay your train fare; It would be even better if you could convince everyone north of the Watford gap to go with you, finally we could sing 'Jerusalem' with our tongue firmly out of our cheek.
  15. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Mar '12 19:40
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Stop teasing us southerners, do you mean it, would you really go to scotland and leave us. We could have a collection down here and pay your train fare; It would be even better if you could convince everyone north of the Watford gap to go with you, finally we could sing 'Jerusalem' with our tongue firmly out of our cheek.
    i didnt mean it, dont send us away!!! who will lovingly rub linseed oil on your cricket bat while you eat cucumber sandwiches over lunch, who will feed the hounds after the hunt, who will help you with the jam jar lid when its on too tight, who's going to go and bash johnny foreigner for you when they are spoiling for some trouble, who's going to satisfy your wife while you are out playing the back 9 at the country club, for gods sake man who will eat all the potatoes!!!!!!!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree