Sharapova- Wrong Game Plan?

Sharapova- Wrong Game Plan?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
22 Jan 10

Originally posted by monster truck
I think females in general lack a literal 'Killer Instinct'.
The will to crush an opponent when they are down. Enjoying the smell of blood in the water and knowing that you created it and then feasting upon it. It is totally a guy thing. (thank goodness!)
This is evident in the mental game of most female players and technically evident in the serv ...[text shortened]... k alone than during the entire year last year. Perhaps a slight exaggeration, but not much.
yeah i tend to agree with you... if anything it does make it good to watch though. do you think it has anything to do with the fact that they play potentially two sets less than the men in the slams? is there any room for nerves after four sets and 3 hours of tennis going into the decider?

mt
Walleye Guy

Gone fishin'

Moves
22 Jan 10

Originally posted by trev33
yeah i tend to agree with you... if anything it does make it good to watch though. do you think it has anything to do with the fact that they play potentially two sets less than the men in the slams? is there any room for nerves after four sets and 3 hours of tennis going into the decider?
I personally think the frequent mental lapses on the WTA are just a result of inadequate training. There are a few of the ladies that are real fighters but the majority seem to struggle with mental strength (on the court😉).

Re: the serve- it could be a physical difference that affects the throwing motion.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
23 Jan 10

I personally think the frequent mental lapses on the WTA are just a result of inadequate training. There are a few of the ladies that are real fighters but the majority seem to struggle with mental strength (on the court😉).

Re: the serve- it could be a physical difference that affects the throwing motion.
Jim Courier said that the grunt (come shriek) was 'coached' into them at a young age as a sign that they were giving it their all. Its a bad habit that was learned long ago. Doesn't make sense. Surely it uses up more energy to grunt as well as hit the ball.

Do you get Jim commentating?

Henin was throwing her ball toss all over the place in the final couple of sets against ...oh crap,one of thopse Russian chicks. She was hitting her first serves out by several feet but still went on to win because the other one was all 'emotional'. cramps?

mt
Walleye Guy

Gone fishin'

Moves
23 Jan 10

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Jim Courier said that the grunt (come shriek) was 'coached' into them at a young age as a sign that they were giving it their all. Its a bad habit that was learned long ago. Doesn't make sense. Surely it uses up more energy to grunt as well as hit the ball.

Do you get Jim commentating?

Henin was throwing her ball toss all over the place in the fin ...[text shortened]... by several feet but still went on to win because the other one was all 'emotional'. cramps?
I've heard similar stories about the grunt/screech/shriek.
I think it's as much a form of gamesmanship as anything else.
Hey, if the players are gonna hoot & holla during play with none of them protesting, I say let the fans do the same! LOL

I really like Courier as a player and statesman. Even as a commmentator I think he does ok. Lately he seems off his rocker.🙄

I saw Henin's match against Kleybanova and yeah, both her toss and resulting serve were waaaay off. Seems like she caught a case of the yips for Ivanovic!😳 Kleybanova didn't look quite as fit as Justine and I believe that inadequate preparation is the foundation for 'emotional' problems on the court.

What a bummer for Baggy he had to withdraw. I like his game and personality- he's great for the sport. Hurray for Hewitt tho' as he continues to sneak through the draw on his home turf!!!

I know A-Rod has his faults, but I love is lunch pail work ethic and have my fingers crossed that he at least makes the semis. I can't decide if the slowing of the court surface in recent years has helped or hurt his game.😕

s

Moves
23 Jan 10

I've heard similar stories about the grunt/screech/shriek.
I think it's as much a form of gamesmanship as anything else.
Hey, if the players are gonna hoot & holla during play with none of them protesting, I say let the fans do the same! LOL

I really like Courier as a player and statesman. Even as a commmentator I think he does ok. Lately he se ...[text shortened]... cide if the slowing of the court surface in recent years has helped or hurt his game.😕
The shriek is involuntary. No one coaches anyone to shriek. Annoying as hell, but some shriek, some don't. Tennis is fun because of the meltdowns. Very hard to maintain form throughout a match because even if your toss is off slightly you start double faulting. Against a determined opponent this is like opening the door to the candy store and saying everything is free to a bunch of sweet-toothed preschoolers! So far most top seeds seem like their on target. I like your idea od letting the fans hoot and holler. Should be the same in golf! This quiet nonsense is annoying for the fans!

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
23 Jan 10
2 edits

I think she's hot anyway!!

s

Moves
23 Jan 10

Originally posted by bill718
Of course she's hot! My top fvie tennis hotties:
Wozniacki
Sharapova
Ivanovic
Oudin
Kournikova

mt
Walleye Guy

Gone fishin'

Moves
23 Jan 10

Originally posted by bill718
The Shriek could come in handy at the right time!

Aside from the noise, I admire here fighting spirit and demeanor off-court.
She is truly a credit to the WTA and tennis in general.

mt
Walleye Guy

Gone fishin'

Moves
23 Jan 10

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
Wozniacki
Sharapova
Ivanovic
Oudin
Kournikova
Kournikova is still a beauty.
But she seems like a lost soul off court.:'(

s

Moves
23 Jan 10

Kournikova is still a beauty.
But she seems like a lost soul off court.:'(
Indeed. it is too bad that some of these beauties fall in with the starlets and get corrupted. Talking about ocmebacks, Sasha Cohen, another beauty, is making quite a push for the winter games upcoming!

I greatly admire Oudin, a sweet Georgia girl, who does it more on grit than talent. Great off the field. How about Ayla Brown, singer/basketball player. Quite a looker and taller than her dad, former HS basketball great from Wakefield high and now senator elect for Mass!

Moves
23 Jan 10

Wozniacki
Sharapova
Ivanovic
Oudin
Kournikova
no serena? :'(

mt
Walleye Guy

Gone fishin'

Moves
24 Jan 10

Another one of the Russian "ovas " is on fire this tourney- Nadia Petrova.
She's already taken out 2 top players, Clisters ( a blowout) and a solid win against another Russian"ova", Kuzzie.
Next up- Henin.

I was sorry to see the Tall Boys fall yesterday. Dr. Ivo, Isner, and DPot.
Kudos to Murray for playing a solid game and making short work of the American.

s

Moves
24 Jan 10

Originally posted by trev33
no serena? :'(
I don't think I'd like a tennis ball shoved down my throat! It's looks and personality. She's got the looks, although a little hefty, but has the personality of a Little Italy bouncer! On the other hand, if I could teach her how to toss pizza dough! She has arms to knead semolina flour dough as if it were silly putty!

Site Admin

Wimbledon

Moves
24 Jan 10

The grunt is very useful as a way of ensuring that you are exhaling as you hit the ball - it can help a lot of players also with their timing and consistency. I don't do it generally when I play but when my game is off I will start grunting as I hit the ball to try to regain some focus and to pick myself up if I feel flat on the court.

But some of these women now are simply unwatchable and there is certainly a gamesmanship element to it.

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
24 Jan 10

Wozniacki
Sharapova
Ivanovic
Oudin
Kournikova
Yes... "Sweet Caroline."