Sharapova- Wrong Game Plan?

Sharapova- Wrong Game Plan?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
29 Jan 10
1 edit

Originally posted by monster truck
Nope, no stats, just personal observation.
That may or may not be accurate.

As I asked before, do you think Rafa would have pulled the plug up 2 sets to love and 3-0 in the third?

I'm all too aware of the possiblity of long term injuries.:'(
I just wonder at the number of players that fail to complete matches that they are losing. Undoubtedly ry for both Murray and Mauresmo but with just a little taint to go along with it.

Oh well.
I doubt he would have resigned if the roles were reserved, mainly because he would've only been two or three service games from victory. As it stood he needed to have played at least another two hours of tennis to win. A huge difference.

But the only person who can make that call is Rafa, it's his body, he knows better than you or me else how bad is knee was and how it was affecting him.

There was a statistic in an article i read somewhere, that since his comeback from injury, Rafa has played 12 matches against top 10 ranked players and lost 11 of them. I personally think that he won't get back tp the player he was. His game was based around his power and aggression and he just doesn't seem to have it anymore, i now it's early days yet, but he doesn't physically look the player he was, size was, and i doubt his body can hold up to the rigours of the incredibly long season. I'd like to be proved wrong, but i think the writing is in the wall. Shame.

mt
Walleye Guy

Gone fishin'

Moves
29 Jan 10

And there's my point.
He only needed to play another 10 mins. to finish the match (and lose) with the same amount of risk had he been winning with that score.

As I said before, it's probably just me being judgemental.😞

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
29 Jan 10

Murray vs Federer in final...awesome!

Check out those rugby league players.They play through the most painful of injuries but then again thats a team sport so it may be hard to make comparisons.

mt
Walleye Guy

Gone fishin'

Moves
29 Jan 10
1 edit

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Murray vs Federer in final...awesome!

Check out those rugby league players.They play through the most painful of injuries but then again thats a team sport so it may be hard to make comparisons.
They're professional athletes, it's not hard to compare at all. Almagro played with a broken left wrist. Roddick's shoulder is AFU. Hewitt will tell you flat out, there's never a time the pros play without some sort of nagging injury. It's just a matter of how each individual player uses their judgement to assess the risk/reward at the time. Some choose to play on, others choose to pull the plug.

Fed v. Murray!!!
I'm hoping for a battle royale, with both players at the top of their game and well rested! Wooooohooooo!😀

s

Moves
29 Jan 10

They're professional athletes, it's not hard to compare at all. Almagro played with a broken left wrist. Roddick's shoulder is AFU. Hewitt will tell you flat out, there's never a time the pros play without some sort of nagging injury. It's just a matter of how each individual player uses their judgement to assess the risk/reward at the time. Some ...[text shortened]... ttle royale, with both players at the top of their game and well rested! Wooooohooooo!😀
Couldn't have asked for a better final! Should be a great game indeed as will the ladies' final. Who woulda thought Justine Henin would come roaring back all the way to the final like her Belgian sis in tennis did at the US open after a long retiement.

mt
Walleye Guy

Gone fishin'

Moves
29 Jan 10

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
Couldn't have asked for a better final! Should be a great game indeed as will the ladies' final. Who woulda thought Justine Henin would come roaring back all the way to the final like her Belgian sis in tennis did at the US open after a long retiement.
Have she and Clisjters come roaring back because of their great talent or the fact that the WTA is basically a joke? Or some comination of the 2?

Regardless, Henin's game (with the exception of her serve) has improved dramatically. She is playing more aggressively and playing some solid attacking tennis. Hopefully both players are at their best in the final and it's a 3 setter!

Kudos to Murray for making another slam final.
I almost take it for granted when Fed makes it and forget what an incredible achievement it is just to make it there once!!!😲
Both should be well rested and have a solid plan for the final.
I hope they both execute well and that it goes the distance.
May the best man win!

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
29 Jan 10

They're professional athletes, it's not hard to compare at all. Almagro played with a broken left wrist. Roddick's shoulder is AFU. Hewitt will tell you flat out, there's never a time the pros play without some sort of nagging injury. It's just a matter of how each individual player uses their judgement to assess the risk/reward at the time. Some ...[text shortened]... ttle royale, with both players at the top of their game and well rested! Wooooohooooo!😀
But there's a difference between playing on with a persistent nagging injury, and something more serious.

Nadal is now out injured for 4 weeks with a slightly torn muscle.

mt
Walleye Guy

Gone fishin'

Moves
29 Jan 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Proper Knob
But there's a difference between playing on with a persistent nagging injury, and something more serious.

Nadal is now out injured for 4 weeks with a slightly torn muscle.
I guess he shouldn't have been playing at all then.🙁

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
29 Jan 10

I guess he shouldn't have been playing at all then.🙁
On the BBC coverage you could hear the conversation between Rafa and the physio when he called for his medical timeout. He stated that his knee pain started at the beginning of the second set and got worse as the match went on. Once he called for the physio he played two more games and then retired. He had no knee pain at the beginning of the match.

s

Moves
29 Jan 10

And there's my point.
He only needed to play another 10 mins. to finish the match (and lose) with the same amount of risk had he been winning with that score.

As I said before, it's probably just me being judgemental.😞
Indeed it is you simply being judgmental. Nadal will be sidelined at least 4 weeks with his injury.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AvoR.JQxdmlmTBz6pZ7Go744v7YF?slug=ap-nadalsinjury&prov=ap&type=lgns

s

Moves
30 Jan 10

Kudos to Serena Williams. That was some gritty tennis after it looked bleak in the third set. The mark of a true champion is winning when not at your best!

mt
Walleye Guy

Gone fishin'

Moves
31 Jan 10

Indeed it is you simply being judgmental. Nadal will be sidelined at least 4 weeks with his injury.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AvoR.JQxdmlmTBz6pZ7Go744v7YF?slug=ap-nadalsinjury&prov=ap&type=lgns
I think he should quit altogether rather than risk further injury.

s

Moves
31 Jan 10

I think he should quit altogether rather than risk further injury.
Why? He's young, should recover nicely and really needs to find a better training regimen. Perhaps talking to Courier, who burned himself out via excessive training to compare notes and see whether he's overdoing it. Also, that horrible habit of wearing shoes a size too small has got to be at the root of his knee, muscle and ligament problems.

Moves
31 Jan 10

Why? He's young, should recover nicely and really needs to find a better training regimen. Perhaps talking to Courier, who burned himself out via excessive training to compare notes and see whether he's overdoing it. Also, that horrible habit of wearing shoes a size too small has got to be at the root of his knee, muscle and ligament problems.
it's not just the training.. it's the way to plays the game. sometimes you just have to let the odd point, game or set go without putting in any effort, nadel can't do that.

i don't think he should quit all together but i do think he should take some serious time off from the sport, maybe a year then come back with a different playing style that will suit his knees better... if he doesn't he may do some serious long term damage.

mt
Walleye Guy

Gone fishin'

Moves
31 Jan 10

Are you serious about the shoes?!?!???😲😲😲

I really don't know what the answer is for extending his career.
From what I've read, he needs to practice a ton to find his rhythm. That, combined with his baseline style of play spells doom for his lower body.

That's an interesting suggestion to have him check in with Courier re: over-training. Uncle Tony should get on this A.S.A.P.!

I still can't believe it about the shoes!!!😲
Certainly a recipe for disaster.🙁