1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '17 22:212 edits
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Bowl_TV_ratings

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.awfulannouncing.com/soccer/no-quick-fix-mls-tv-ratings.html

Viewership numbers?

Top Soccer game 674 000

Top Football game 172 000 000
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '17 22:40
    Here is something about Rugby

NBC has tried to remedy the television problem by offering rugby on NBC Sports Network (and on its streaming product, NBC Sports Live Extra). In 2010 the network CMCSA started showing the Collegiate Rugby Championship, and in 2011 it added the Sevens World Series and the Rugby World Cup. Since 2011, NBC’s five Sevens Rugby telecasts have averaged 1 million viewers—that isn’t nothing, but compare that to the 17.6 million average for a Sunday NFL game last season

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2015/10/27/rugby-world-cup
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    28 Oct '17 22:50
    Originally posted by @eladar

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.awfulannouncing.com/soccer/no-quick-fix-mls-tv-ratings.html

Viewership numbers?

Top Soccer game 674 000

I know USA is a big country, but 172 million is a LOT of people, over half your population?

I guess that was for the 'Superbowl' ???

Do these figures actually prove anything? They don't show USA is totally ambivalent about football (soccer)

PS why do you call it 'football' when in gridiron foot and ball very rarely meet?
  4. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    28 Oct '17 23:00
    Originally posted by @eladar

Viewership numbers?

Top Soccer game 674 000

Just proves why Americans are so obese. They like watching a tiny bit of sport between their food commercials. Superbowl......we just have regular bowls around here. Keeps the weight down.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '17 23:071 edit
    Originally posted by @blood-on-the-tracks
    I know USA is a big country, but 172 million is a LOT of people, over half your population?

I guess that was for the 'Superbowl' ???

Do these figures actually prove anything? They don't show USA is totally ambivalent about football (soccer)

PS why do you call it 'football' when in gridiron foot and ball very rarely meet?
    That was for the Super Bowl.

I was trying to demonstrate the difference between the popularities of the sports in the US.

In comparison to football no one cares about either soccer or rugby.

As for the name of football, the game used to be much more like rugby. It evolved over time. The nickname grid iron is also from the evolution of the game. At one time the field had both vertical and horizontal lines. The ball used to be much more round. At one time a person with the ball could drop the ball to the ground and kick it through the goal posts for points, I think 3 or 1 as a point after touchdown. It is called a drop kick.

My dad said that one could drop kick it at anytime, even while running down the field. The drop kick is all but forgotten today. It stopped being used after WWII.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    28 Oct '17 23:121 edit
    You were taking the chance to over emphasise.

My only raison d'etre for entering this was to show that SOME average US citizens are aware that you have a football (soccer) team

That has been proved. Even you must admit that.

As a stand alone, this thread is totally pointless
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '17 23:16
    You were taking the chance to over emphasise.

My only raison d'etre for entering this was to show that SOME average US citizens are aware that you have a football (soccer) team

That has been proved. Even you must admit that.

As a stand alone, this thread is totally pointless
    Perhaps you already believe that most Americans could not care less about soccer or rugby.

Tweedle dee and Tweedle dumm appear to believe otherwise.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    28 Oct '17 23:22
    Not really interested in pointless debating of 'some' and 'most'

The attendance figures for the 94WC would indicate at least a certain interest.

Why you continually try to link me to the other 2 posters is also a pointless mystery.

Anyway, still a totally redundant new thread. Why didn't you tack it onto the 'USA out of WC' thread?
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '17 23:27
    Not really interested in pointless debating of 'some' and 'most'

The attendance figures for the 94WC would indicate at least a certain interest.

Why you continually try to link me to the other 2 posters is also a pointless mystery.

Anyway, still a totally redundant new thread. Why didn't you tack it onto the 'USA out of WC' thread?
    How did I link you to them? I created the thread to counter their claims, not yours.

You questioned why the thread was created ans I explained why.

Of course there is a relatively small minority of people who like to watch soccer in the US. They are just few and far between.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    28 Oct '17 23:34
    Ah. That subtlety went well over my head

I am puzzled about what you are 'proving'. As far as I can see, no one is disputing that US football is more popular in USA than proper football ( soccer, you know, the one where you actually foot the ball)

??? Rolling eyes thingy
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Oct '17 00:00
    Ah. That subtlety went well over my head

I am puzzled about what you are 'proving'. As far as I can see, no one is disputing that US football is more popular in USA than proper football ( soccer, you know, the one where you actually foot the ball)

??? Rolling eyes thingy
    More popular?

Did you compare the numbers?

Soccer viewership is less than .5 percent football viewership.

Less than one half of one percent means soccer popularity is practically zero in comparison.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    29 Oct '17 00:071 edit
    How hard is this?

On your Superbowl cherry picked figures, Us football is clearly more popular.

Where did I dispute that?

The ' more popular ' on your quoted post clearly concedes, for what it is worth, that US football is more popular in USA than soccer ( foot on ball football)

Maybe bad spelling is an indicator of lack of intelligence after all
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Oct '17 00:113 edits
    How hard is this?

On your Superbowl cherry picked figures, Us football is clearly more popular.

Where did I dispute that?

I am saying, oh, what is the point?
    From the second post

17.6 million average for a Sunday NFL game last season

The soccer link said that average soccer game viewership is about 100k.

17 600 000 vs 100 000

Once again nearly .5 percent.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    29 Oct '17 00:17
    Not to be a pedant, but 17.6 million is 17 600 000, not 176 000 000.

Just a x 10 out

It is basic errors like this that make following your argument very difficult
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Oct '17 00:191 edit
    Not to be a pedant, but 17.6 million is 17 600 000, not 176 000 000.

Just a x 10 out

It is basic errors like this that make following your argument very difficult
    You are right. I will edit, but still less than 1 percent practically still that .5 percent.

Soccer has practically zero following compared to football.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree