The Ashes

The Ashes

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m

Moves
09 Dec 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Crowley
Referrals are here to stay and I'm behind them 100%. In this professional sports day and age, I'm surprised the system took so long to get off the ground.
I'd actually like to see the system refined further, in that both sides get an extra review per session of play.
With the current system we already have teams "gambling" with their first referral. I wouldn't like to see teams given more, as it would make that worse.

I've heard one suggestion which makes some sense, though, which might be a compromise. At the moment the original decision only gets overturned if it's clearly wrong (which I agree with). Which means that in a borderline case the decision stands and the referral is lost.

The suggestion was that in a borderline case the decision should stand but the referral shouldn't be lost. The idea is to avoid encouraging spurious appeals, but not to penalise sensible ones. For example, there was a case in the last test where the appeal was eventually shown to be correct, but the technology wasn't available to the third umpire. Fair enough - that's how it goes - but shouldn't they have got the referral back?

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
09 Dec 10

Originally posted by mtthw
With the current system we already have teams "gambling" with their first referral. I wouldn't like to see teams given more, as it would make that worse.

I've heard one suggestion which makes some sense, though, which might be a compromise. At the moment the original decision only gets overturned if it's clearly wrong (which I agree with). Which means ...[text shortened]... ire. Fair enough - that's how it goes - but shouldn't they have got the referral back?
Interesting.

I'd still like to see teams getting an extra review per completed session, but possibly only start out with 1 or 2. So what if teams gamble on one or two decisions a match? These are tests we're talking about here, played over 5 days.

Another refinement I'd like to see is punishment for slow over rates. For every 2 overs under the rate, the team loses 1 review in their current or next innings, in conjunction with the current match fee penalties etc.

Moves
09 Dec 10

Originally posted by Marinkatomb
England 4-0, that's my prediction. Don't want to sound over confident but all the early signs point towards a complete whitewash atm, and i might just add that it's about time the boot swung back the other way for a change!
I've heard rumours of Warne coming out of retirement. If so, it'll be 2-1, possibly 3-1, to the Ozzies; if not, which frankly seems the more likely, it'll be 3-0 or 4-0 for the Poms.

Richard

R
CerebrallyChallenged

Lyme BayChesil Beach

Moves
09 Dec 10

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
I've heard rumours of Warne coming out of retirement. If so, it'll be 2-1, possibly 3-1, to the Ozzies; if not, which frankly seems the more likely, it'll be 3-0 or 4-0 for the Poms.

Richard
When I suggested he could be 'talked into a return,' it was laughed at or noted as 'more than highly unrealistic'..but I'm a great fan and the mere notion gets my heart racing 🙂

s

6yd box

Moves
09 Dec 10
1 edit

Richard
shows how desprate the Aussies are!!! 😏
England are on a high and will really rub their faces in it.

R
CerebrallyChallenged

Lyme BayChesil Beach

Moves
09 Dec 10

'bringbackwarne.com' is a curious affair, $1m doesn't seem enough, multiples thereof I'd have thought ...I can't see him being fit enough myself but Warne's tweets are typically mischievous lol, I've just read a few...6-1 the odds on a return.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
10 Dec 10

Originally posted by RevRSleeker
'bringbackwarne.com' is a curious affair, $1m doesn't seem enough, multiples thereof I'd have thought ...I can't see him being fit enough myself but Warne's tweets are typically mischievous lol, I've just read a few...6-1 the odds on a return.
Warnie's probably looking at the odds closely, clutching his credit card.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
11 Dec 10

Originally posted by homeabove
I don't want to sound cynical, but when a side wins a match by an innings and 71 runs, I don't think luck really comes into it.

If I was Australian, I would be worried about the impotency of the bowling attack: They don't look like being capable of taking 20 wickets, or even putting England under a sustained period of pressure with tight bowling, maidens etc.

However, as an Englishman, I am not too concerned!
Your assesment is right, however, as Robbie pointed out, The Aussies let em off the hook in the first test.
England have been the better team, but the aussie selectors should share the blame.
They prepare Hauritz for the ashes, then drop. Johnson, one great strike bowler who could swing a match, was left out because of one bad performance.
There is no confidence in the bowling (or batting ) when players are playing for their spots in the team, rather than playing for the team.
Ponting is crap when the chips are down, unlike Border or Waugh.
And basically they're going to toss the ball to a new spinner (Beer) in hope, rather than any confidence in his form.
I'm glad they put Smith in. He is the future. Lets blood him, let him get smashed for 0/100 and then stick with him. He has the skill to hold his position as a bowler, let alone his batting. He should've been playing in the first test, rather than give Doherty a chance after a 20/20 performance...Terrible.
The media...The captain...the bowlers...
And they were going to drop Hussey...
What is going on?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
11 Dec 10

Originally posted by Crowley
You raise an interesting point.
Will be funny to see the number 11 batsman - needing just 10 runs for victory, or having to survive just a few more overs or something similar - calling for a referral after being cleaned up and then getting the decision reversed because it's a close-call no-ball.
Oh man, I can hear the 'purists' wail already.

Referra ...[text shortened]... per session of play.

Let's at least attempt to get the correct result with every call.
Agreed. There is much improvement needed.
I remember Harris clearly hitting the ball and being given out, despite the technology showing he clearly hit it. It probably wouldn't have made a difference to the result, but when the whole crowd (including the barmy army) could see he hit the ball and the third umpire, with all his technology couldn't , you have to wonder...

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
11 Dec 10

Richard
No,no...Warny is not an option.
Even the mention of such an idea shows what a crappy state the aussies are in 🙁

rc

Moves
11 Dec 10

Originally posted by karoly aczel
No,no...Warny is not an option.
Even the mention of such an idea shows what a crappy state the aussies are in 🙁
a friend told me that all Warney has to do is flash his pearly whites and he will blind the English batsmen, who cares if he can bowl, just smile 🙂

p

Moves
11 Dec 10

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
a friend told me that all Warney has to do is flash his pearly whites and he will blind the English batsmen, who cares if he can bowl, just smile 🙂
He was a fantastic player in his day , but i think it would be like Benny Hill with a blonde wig on facing you now, with all the pie's he's been munching !!

over your head

Moves
12 Dec 10

Warne 1,319 first class wickets at 26.11 vs Beer 16 first class wickets at 39.93, bit of a come down.
Warne isn't coming back, but just to make sure England have sent agent Vanessa Kensington on the case. The Ashes are staying in Blighty. Groovy Baby.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
14 Dec 10

Originally posted by Siskin
Warne 1,319 first class wickets at 26.11 vs Beer 16 first class wickets at 39.93, bit of a come down.
Warne isn't coming back, but just to make sure England have sent agent Vanessa Kensington on the case. The Ashes are staying in Blighty. Groovy Baby.
Lets get Boony to open in place of the injured Simon Katich, after all he holds the alltime beer consumed on one international flight (52 ,n.o.)

rc

Moves
14 Dec 10

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Lets get Boony to open in place of the injured Simon Katich, after all he holds the alltime beer consumed on one international flight (52 ,n.o.)
I read that the Aussies have not been beaten at the Waka since 1978 in an ashes test, long may it continue! I predict an Aussie win, or errmm, a riot!