USA gettin' sum Mexican chile up the bum

USA gettin' sum Mexican chile up the bum

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Moves
28 Jul 09

Originally posted by Seitse
That's exactly what I'm telling badmoon.

I'm way nervous!

On the one hand I want the mexican football mafia to miss the chance of cashing in with the dreams and hopes of millions of Mexicans (aka Mexico not going to the world cup).

On the other one... oh well, footie is footie, and the national team is, well, the national team.
You know it will be dicey. Mexico does not do well in must win games. Never has, never will. The pressure of playing in Mexico will be too much. Even a draw clearly will be as bad as a loss for Mexico. So we'll see. Some day, but not this time, Mexico might play to their potential, but not while still calling up tree stumps like Blanco.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
28 Jul 09

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
You know it will be dicey. Mexico does not do well in must win games. Never has, never will. The pressure of playing in Mexico will be too much. Even a draw clearly will be as bad as a loss for Mexico. So we'll see. Some day, but not this time, Mexico might play to their potential, but not while still calling up tree stumps like Blanco.
Well, if you go back to history, Aguirre did it once and the cards are on his side. At least at coach level. When Meza almost left Mexico out of the previous worldcup, Aguirre was brought in the middle of the storm and he solved the qualifying level by playing, actually, in Mexico City.

So the pressure issue is worked out, at least if we go back to the recent history book.

We have to see how he manages in qualifying games, though, because by no means it will be the same like playing the 'B' side to beat 0-5 the US 'B' side.

My guess? 2-1

s

Moves
29 Jul 09
1 edit

Well, if you go back to history, Aguirre did it once and the cards are on his side. At least at coach level. When Meza almost left Mexico out of the previous worldcup, Aguirre was brought in the middle of the storm and he solved the qualifying level by playing, actually, in Mexico City.

So the pressure issue is worked out, at least if we go back to the rec ...[text shortened]... it will be the same like playing the 'B' side to beat 0-5 the US 'B' side.

My guess? 2-1
Excpet those other times Mexico was not 4th in the qualifying group like this time. Even if they beat team USA, and they likely won't, they're in deep doo doo. I have never looked up Mexico's stats as to how they do in the runner up groups, but I fear they do not do well. Poor soccer federation, too much politicking. I point again to Blanco. No self respecting team would put him on the field but the FMF forces coaches to bring up "favorites". Even in his oprime we was only so,so.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
29 Jul 09

Poor soccer federation, too much politicking.
This is where we agree.

Re: Blanco, his best days are gone, for sure. Though he has the TV machine behind him and that puts him back in, again and again.

Overall, the Mexican team is better man-by-man than any other regional team. It is what you mention that screws everything... and the lack of team play. Individual genius can win some matches, but not all.

No wonder most of the players who go to Europe flourish, playing in clubs which nurture and cherish talent... and away from the cesspool of Mexican footie.

s

Moves
29 Jul 09

This is where we agree.

Re: Blanco, his best days are gone, for sure. Though he has the TV machine behind him and that puts him back in, again and again.

Overall, the Mexican team is better man-by-man than any other regional team. It is what you mention that screws everything... and the lack of team play. Individual genius can win some matches, but not ...[text shortened]... aying in clubs which nurture and cherish talent... and away from the cesspool of Mexican footie.
Great individual talent never gets you anywhere. Where team USA flourishes is precisely their lack of great individuality, but better team cohesion, fewer prima donna players. Team USA's Blanco is DeMarcus Beasley. Awful!

Hugo Sanchez was great in Spain, not so great on the national team. Not so great as a coach. Then these players return from Europe even less willing to be team players and more fat headed. Italy is not all that great man by man, but boy their results are great! Spain is playings lights out right now because they're unselfish. Their bump in the road was underestimating team USA.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
29 Jul 09

Great individual talent never gets you anywhere. Where team USA flourishes is precisely their lack of great individuality, but better team cohesion, fewer prima donna players. Team USA's Blanco is DeMarcus Beasley. Awful!

Hugo Sanchez was great in Spain, not so great on the national team. Not so great as a coach. Then these players return from Europe ...[text shortened]... out right now because they're unselfish. Their bump in the road was underestimating team USA.
I really don't see what we're arguing here, man, lol 🙂

It boils down to Mexico having better individual players than the U.S., something which for the last 60 years has been enough to beat the crap out everybody in the region. Of course, 'enough' until a really organized team like the US, with a whole national structure behind, exploded to its potential.

Indeed, the US team can win next month... if Mexico's individual players fail to deliver a spark of genius. Sad but that's the reality of Mexican football.

s

Moves
29 Jul 09

I really don't see what we're arguing here, man, lol 🙂

It boils down to Mexico having better individual players than the U.S., something which for the last 60 years has been enough to beat the crap out everybody in the region. Of course, 'enough' until a really organized team like the US, with a whole national structure behind, exploded to its potential. ...[text shortened]... players fail to deliver a spark of genius. Sad but that's the reality of Mexican football.
Indeed. No argument. I hope the better team wins. Footie is like that. Anyone could win at any given moment if the teams are about equal even when one is better man for man. Back to Italy, look at how they have declined after Cannavaro is no longer the best defenseman on earth. He elevated Italy's greatness. He made the team better. Mexico's players are me, me , me! Once they abandon that sky's the limit!!!

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
30 Jul 09

Indeed. No argument. I hope the better team wins. Footie is like that. Anyone could win at any given moment if the teams are about equal even when one is better man for man. Back to Italy, look at how they have declined after Cannavaro is no longer the best defenseman on earth. He elevated Italy's greatness. He made the team better. Mexico's players are me, me , me! Once they abandon that sky's the limit!!!
Funny you mention Cannavaro.

Don't you think it's quite unfair that Italy, producer of the finest defensive players in the world, got its first Balon d'Or for a defensive player until the XXI century?

I mean, no disrespect, Cannavaro is/was very good, but e.g. Franco Baresi is IMO the greatest defender of all time and in the recent times I would have given the honors to Zambrotta, for example.

Anyway, that's another thing Mexico lacks: a good defensive line, unless Márquez is there to organize a little. The problem with him is the character; remember the elbow he gave to Coby? Damn.

s

Moves
30 Jul 09

Funny you mention Cannavaro.

Don't you think it's quite unfair that Italy, producer of the finest defensive players in the world, got its first Balon d'Or for a defensive player until the XXI century?

I mean, no disrespect, Cannavaro is/was very good, but e.g. Franco Baresi is IMO the greatest defender of all time and in the recent times I would have gi ...[text shortened]... e a little. The problem with him is the character; remember the elbow he gave to Coby? Damn.
Baresi wsa a better player, but Cannavaro was a better leader. He lifted his team up. Marquez brings his team down with the prima donna crap and bad behavior. Zambrota is very good, but no Cannvaro. SEldom do you see defense like his at the 06 WC. Gotta go back to Beckenbauer way into the 70's to compare. That's what makes Sapin currently so good. They have a monster backfield. They play in sync, together, feed off each other. Mexico in the back is ununified brilliancy.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
30 Jul 09

The Cosa Nostra of Mexican football announced today the players who will go to the match with the U.S. Besides the basic structure used in the Gold Cup, the "new" names are...

Márquez
Osorio
Galindo
Salcido
Rojas
Guardado
Blanco
Castillo

Ha! I knew it. These imbeciles are so predictable...

I hope Blanco goes there only to warm the bench and distribute water in paper cups to his teammates.

s

Moves
31 Jul 09

The Cosa Nostra of Mexican football announced today the players who will go to the match with the U.S. Besides the basic structure used in the Gold Cup, the "new" names are...

Márquez
Osorio
Galindo
Salcido
Rojas
Guardado
Blanco
Castillo

Ha! I knew it. These imbeciles are so predictable...

I hope Blanco goes there only to warm the bench and distribute water in paper cups to his teammates.
You know they will play Blanco then scratch their heads after being eliminated. How will the elimination come? A draw. I'm begining to believe the USA played the scrubs at the Gold Cup final as a ruse. The Mexican team will be overconfident. Mark my words. I'll even eat a habanero! Well a bit of one by trying your recipe unaltered (from the other thread).

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
12 Aug 09

2-1

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
13 Aug 09

2-1 ! Damn it! Sweet! 😵

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
13 Aug 09

So... er... can we get Texas back now? 😳

s

Moves
13 Aug 09

2-1 ! Damn it! Sweet! 😵
Damn lucky is what they were. Great game though. Now why doesn't Mexico play like that all the time? They could go very far.