1. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 21:35
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    Sven Goran Erikson by a mile. England v N. Ireland losing 0-1 , team in a mess, camera pans to Erikson biting his nails looking lost in the dugout , he looked like a little boy who had spilled the milk and didn't know what to do. From that moment on I knew England would only win the world cup despite him but not because of him. Why the worst ? Because ...[text shortened]... te a cardboard cut out! A prawn cracker of a manager. And I haven't even mentioned Walcott.
    Sven was Englands most successful manger in the last 30 years in terms of games won to lost. Sven spoke a lot of sense, and as he says, there are not any English strikers better than Walcott.
  2. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 22:42
    Originally posted by invigorate
    Sven was Englands most successful manger in the last 30 years in terms of games won to lost. Sven spoke a lot of sense, and as he says, there are not any English strikers better than Walcott.
    Can you honestly say that you like him managing us though? I never wanted him, I was one of those people that wanted an English manager... he lacked passion and commitment in my view.
  3. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 22:55
    Originally posted by blade68
    Can you honestly say that you like him managing us though? I never wanted him, I was one of those people that wanted an English manager... he lacked passion and commitment in my view.
    He took over from Kevin Keegan - he was everything that Keegan wasn't. That's a blessing.

I know it is a big if, but if we had had won that penalty shoot out he would have been in Bobby Robson's territory in our hearts.

He was an acheiver whether negociating his salary, pulling Ulrika or putting 5 past ther Germans - he did things in a quiet, unassuming way with ruthless politeness.

Now we have Steve Mc Claren, who doesn't fulfill he same enigmatic qualities.
  4. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 23:04
    He took over from Kevin Keegan - he was everything that Keegan wasn't. That's a blessing.

I know it is a big if, but if we had had won that penalty shoot out he would have been in Bobby Robson's territory in our hearts.

He was an acheiver whether negociating his salary, pulling Ulrika or putting 5 past ther Germans - he did things in a quiet, unass ...[text shortened]... politeness.

Now we have Steve Mc Claren, who doesn't fulfill he same enigmatic qualities.
    Are you saying that Sven was enigmatic then? I think he was far from it.
    He was fortunate to be England's manager when we had an emerging crop of good young talent - Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, J.Cole to name a few... I could've taken us to the World Cup with that lot!

I just can't imagine how uninspiring his team talks must've been... football is a passionate game and emotions run high, and yes a cool head is needed on occasions - but not all the time!

Terry Venables was (and still is in my opinion) the man to take on the job and win something.
  5. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    12 Nov '06 23:19
    He was fortunate to be England's manager when we had an emerging crop of good young talent - Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, J.Cole to name a few... I could've taken us to the World Cup with that lot!

I just can't imagine how uninspiring his team talks must've been... football is ...[text shortened]... erry Venables was (and still is in my opinion) the man to take on the job and win something.
    Sven was enigmatic rather than carismatic.
    Terry Venables is really in charge now. Steve McClaren is merely holding the Poison Chalice for him
  6. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 08:51
    Passion and commitment are what Kevin Keegan gave us. And we were awful. Perhaps you've managed to forget how bad England were when Eriksson took over?

And now those people who were desperate for an English manager have given us Steve McClaren. When we could have had Guus Hiddinck or Martin O'Neill. Thanks a lot.
  7. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    14 Nov '06 00:14
    Iain Dowie does not deserve to be sacked. 12 games into a new job this is crazy.
  8. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '06 01:09
    Originally posted by mtthw

And now those people who were desperate for an English manager have given us Steve McClaren. When we could have had Guus Hiddinck or Martin O'Neill. Thanks a lot.
    You're welcome.
    Hows about giving the bloke ten minutes in the job before you say he WAS useless.

I'd rather lose with a national manager from his own nation than win with some foreign geezer who prolly can't even speaka da ingleesh.
  9. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    14 Nov '06 01:11
    Paul le guen is pretty Shanpelt. . .i would however, like to put Bertie Vogts forward as a total diddy manager.
  10. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '06 08:42
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    You're welcome.
    Hows about giving the bloke ten minutes in the job before you say he WAS useless.
    Why don't we give everybody a go, they might be good? I didn't want McClaren because I've seen nothing at club level that suggests he's a good choice. He'll probably be competent, but we could have had better than that.

I'd rather have a good team, personally.
  11. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '06 17:13
    Iain Dowie does not deserve to be sacked. 12 games into a new job this is crazy.
    It's disgusting - you really get the impression that some of these clubs just sack the manager and only then think, 'Oh yeah we need to get a replacement'. In their statement when sacking Dowie they say:

"Over the past two weeks we have conducted a review of the structure we put in place during the summer which involved all senior football management staff. The results of this review have, we believe, left us with little option but to act in the manner we have. Crucially we had to consider whether we believed our current situation would improve and we reluctantly came to the conclusion that it would not."

So they have to get rid of the whole structure right? Why then have they just put Dowie's assistant in charge and put the youth team coach upto be his assistant?

Dowie's record this year:

LLWLLWLLLDWDWWL

3 of those losses were to Chelsea, ManU and Arsenal. Also that's 3 wins in the last 5 games.

WTF?
  12. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 00:59
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    It's disgusting - you really get the impression that some of these clubs just sack the manager and only then think, 'Oh yeah we need to get a replacement'. In their statement when sacking Dowie they say:

"Over the past two weeks we have conducted a review of the structure we put in place during the summer which involved all senior football management ...[text shortened]... osses were to Chelsea, ManU and Arsenal. Also that's 3 wins in the last 5 games.

WTF?
    The mind boggles doesn't it?

One of the problems at Charlton is that Curbishley had been there donkeys and achieved a modicum of success - making him a difficult Manager to replace..... look at what happened at Forest after Cloughie called it a day.
  13. Joined
    29 Jul '04
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 20:09
    The mind boggles doesn't it?

One of the problems at Charlton is that Curbishley had been there donkeys and achieved a modicum of success - making him a difficult Manager to replace..... look at what happened at Forest after Cloughie called it a day.
    Peter Taylor following Martin O Neill, whoever follows Fergie?
  14. Joined
    29 Jul '04
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 20:11

I just can't imagine how uninspiring his team talks must've been... football is ...[text shortened]... erry Venables was (and still is in my opinion) the man to take on the job and win something.
    Terry Venables - What a conman and a chancer. Ask fans of Portsmouth and Palace what they think of him.
  15. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 21:50
    Originally posted by cantspell
    Terry Venables - What a conman and a chancer. Ask fans of Portsmouth and Palace what they think of him.
    Not sure what Pompey fans think of him, but I'm pretty sure he was a hero at Palace? Took 'em to an FA Cup Semi in 76/77 didn't he... and they were in the 3rd Division?

Venables is a character, and he knows his stuff where football's concerned - his off the field affairs are exactly that.... off the field, and nothing to do with motivating and coaching teams.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree