1. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 23:08
    Originally posted by blade68
    Not sure what Pompey fans think of him, but I'm pretty sure he was a hero at Palace? Took 'em to an FA Cup Semi in 76/77 didn't he... and they were in the 3rd Division?

Venables is a character, and he knows his stuff where football's concerned - his off the field affairs are exactly that.... off the field, and nothing to do with motivating and coaching teams.
    He went back to Palace in the late 90s, did nothing. Was average as Australian manager as well. Plus a short spell at Leeds. Basically he's shown nothing special since he left the England job, and that was 10 years ago.
  2. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 23:51
    Originally posted by mtthw
    He went back to Palace in the late 90s, did nothing. Was average as Australian manager as well. Plus a short spell at Leeds. Basically he's shown nothing special since he left the England job, and that was 10 years ago.
    I don't remember him going back to Palace? Can't have been for long? ... and he was only in the Aussie job for 5 minutes wasn't he? I was pleased he did nowt at L**ds... so that doesn't concern me!

I still think he's one of the best around despite your hatred for him!
  3. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 08:531 edit
    Originally posted by blade68
    I don't remember him going back to Palace? Can't have been for long? ... and he was only in the Aussie job for 5 minutes wasn't he? I was pleased he did nowt at L**ds... so that doesn't concern me!

I still think he's one of the best around despite your hatred for him!
    He wasn't at Palace long. There was probably a reason for that! He was Australian manager during qualification for the 1998 World Cup (where they lost the playoff to Iran). So not long, but almost as long as he was England manager.

But hate him? Why would I hate him? I'm just pointing out that he's had no recent success, and even his time at England wasn't as impressive as some people would suggest. He's a reasonable manager. I just think he's a bit overrated and the idea that he's somehow England's saviour doesn't stand up to close viewing.
  4. Joined
    20 Feb '02
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 11:48
    Originally posted by cantspell
    Terry Venables - What a conman and a chancer. Ask fans of Portsmouth and Palace what they think of him.
    And so is Redknapp and what to Porthsmouth fans think of him? Clough failed at Leeds, does not make him a bad manager.

Worst big team managers... Sebastion Gross at Tottenham or that little Norwegian fellow who popped up at Wimbledon

...oh and Glen Roder

Andrew
  5. Joined
    28 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 14:06
    Egil Olsen?
  6. Joined
    20 Feb '02
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 17:09
    Originally posted by aging blitzer
    Egil Olsen?
    That sounds like him
  7. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 21:02
    Might as well resurrect this thread as well whilst we're at it!!!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree