Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    02 Jul '10 21:04
    I have to admit.

    That was dramatic.
  2. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    02 Jul '10 21:05
    Suarez must be incredibly happy he hand-balled that...
  3. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    02 Jul '10 21:09
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Suarez must be incredibly happy he hand-balled that...
    It was a heads up play. Otherwise the ball goes in and they lose.

    A red card and a penalty kick beats the heck out of a loss.
  4. Subscriber Crowley
    Not Aleister
    02 Jul '10 21:22
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Suarez must be incredibly happy he hand-balled that...
    That was just disgusting.

    To someone who is a rugby fan like me, that is just horrible. In rugby Suarez would've received a card as well, but the referee would then go on and give a penalty try under the posts.

    I knew Ghana had to win it in the first 2 hours. The African sides just aren't precise enough to win on penalties...
  5. 02 Jul '10 21:24
    1st prize in the drama category...
  6. 02 Jul '10 21:25
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Suarez must be incredibly happy he hand-balled that...
    He saved the day there.

    I'm happy.
  7. 02 Jul '10 21:28
    That was great entertainment - Ghana played some great attacking footy and the script was so nearly perfect but for that blast against the bar.
  8. Standard member Lundos
    Back to basics
    02 Jul '10 22:17 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Crowley
    That was just disgusting.
    Not really. Every football player would have done the same. Anyway the situation shouldn't have happened as there was an offside situation just before it happened. Now Uruguay will have to play Holland without one of their best because of another ref mistake.

    EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM28k73TTrA&feature=player_embedded
  9. 02 Jul '10 22:43
    Originally posted by Crowley
    That was just disgusting.

    To someone who is a rugby fan like me, that is just horrible. In rugby Suarez would've received a card as well, but the referee would then go on and give a penalty try under the posts.

    I knew Ghana had to win it in the first 2 hours. The African sides just aren't precise enough to win on penalties...
    Does this look like rugby?

    http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/5346/deal.jpg

  10. Subscriber Crowley
    Not Aleister
    03 Jul '10 06:44
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    Does this look like rugby?

    http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/5346/deal.jpg

    That Suarez sure is a good volleyball player
  11. Subscriber Crowley
    Not Aleister
    03 Jul '10 06:49
    Originally posted by Lundos
    Not really. Every football player would have done the same. Anyway the situation shouldn't have happened as there was an offside situation just before it happened. Now Uruguay will have to play Holland without one of their best because of another ref mistake.

    EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM28k73TTrA&feature=player_embedded
    The ref made a mistake, so what? This WC has been full of 'em and many posters here have been saying "it's just part of the game".

    This type of thing is common? I think I'll just go back to cricket...
  12. 03 Jul '10 07:09
    Originally posted by Crowley
    That was just disgusting.

    To someone who is a rugby fan like me, that is just horrible. In rugby Suarez would've received a card as well, but the referee would then go on and give a penalty try under the posts.

    I knew Ghana had to win it in the first 2 hours. The African sides just aren't precise enough to win on penalties...
    the ref did give a pen under the posts. it's not his fault the ghanian player flapped.
    suarez did the right thing, now he misses the first semi final of a world cup uruguay has been in, in decades. it wasn't cheating imo.
    any rugby player would've done the same in the hope that they missed the kick.

    the better team won though.
  13. Standard member Lundos
    Back to basics
    03 Jul '10 07:22
    Originally posted by Crowley
    The ref made a mistake, so what? This WC has been full of 'em and many posters here have been saying "it's just part of the game".

    This type of thing is common? I think I'll just go back to cricket...
    Ref mistakes have been a part of football for as long as I remember, but the number of errors this WC have seen is ridiculous by any measure.

    Rugby I can understand and it's fun to play but cricket?
  14. Standard member Lundos
    Back to basics
    03 Jul '10 07:23
    Originally posted by trev33
    the ref did give a pen under the posts. it's not his fault the ghanian player flapped.
    suarez did the right thing, now he misses the first semi final of a world cup uruguay has been in, in decades. it wasn't cheating imo.
    any rugby player would've done the same in the hope that they missed the kick.

    the better team won though.
    Agreed. Suarez did the right thing for his team, he was punished, Ghana blew it themselves, and the better team won. End of story.
  15. Standard member Lundos
    Back to basics
    03 Jul '10 07:24
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Suarez must be incredibly happy he hand-balled that...
    He certainly looked that way.