1. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 18:11
    Originally posted by Lundos
    What about fouling an opponent? That's a violation of the rules. Or standing offside? That's a violation.

Cry more noobs.
    As I said in my post "Blatant cheating (ie breaking the rules) is so much a part of football today that it is accepted.Shirt pulling,hand contact with other players,tripping,diving,ect are all against the rules and yet now a normal part of the game"
    Watch any corner kick,for example, and you will see players holding opponents down or using them to gain greater height themselves.This is quite normal but against the rules and therefore cheating.
  2. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 18:16
    I know. That's why I don't know why people are still crying about this.

Anyway, he got a one day ban as he should.
  3. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 18:30
    Originally posted by Lundos
    I know. That's why I don't know why people are still crying about this.

Anyway, he got a one day ban as he should.
    Its only a shame that it ruins the game.The top players have so much skill that they can do amazing things with the ball.The problem is that there is so much cheating we only get the chance to see half of what they can do.Its only a dream but I would like to see a game with 22 top players playing to the spirit of the rules.I think it could be a brilliant game.Of course, it would have to be friendly.
  4. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 20:44
    Cheating means doing something deceptive to gain an advantage and trying to get away with it.

There was NO WAY he was getting away with what he did, and in front of the whole world with slow motion replays, he wasn't deceiving anyone.

It's not cheating.
  5. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 21:18
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    Cheating means doing something deceptive to gain an advantage and trying to get away with it.

There was NO WAY he was getting away with what he did, and in front of the whole world with slow motion replays, he wasn't deceiving anyone.

It's not cheating.
    Cheating also means 'to violate rules or regulations'.

It's cheating.
  6. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 21:28
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    Cheating also means 'to violate rules or regulations'.

It's cheating.
    Then fouling and being offside are cheating because those are against the rules.

According to you.
  7. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 21:35
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    Then fouling and being offside are cheating because those are against the rules.

According to you.
    Yep.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 16:031 edit
    Originally posted by Crowley
    I don't want to get embroiled in another "Waaah. Soccer is gay! blah blah blah" 'discussion', but really, this is the type of thing that makes people from other sports think football is a waste of time.
    Ghana created a goal scoring opportunity, and did everything they had to to make the scoreline 2-1. Then Suarez decided to do a volleyball set...

I can't ll team.
    So no, I can't see this type of thing happening in too many other sports...
    I'm not much of a soccer fan, but I have no problem at all with the handball. There's nothing wrong with breaking the rules of the game if the penalty is less severe than the otherwise result.

Suarez did stop the ball from going in by the only means he could. He knew the consequence but, in the split second, judged the alternative to be less severe than the consequences and so he committed his infraction but saved the game.

It's like the offensive linebacker who holds the defensive lineman knowing he's going to get a 10 yard penalty, but judging that a 10 yard penalty is better than a sack and maybe a fumble or an injury to the quarterback. Intentional fouls happen in basketball all the time, intentional hooking in hockey, etc.

Suarez did nothing wrong. On the contrary, he made a great play and saved his team the game.
  9. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 17:38
    Originally posted by sh76
    I'm not much of a soccer fan, but I have no problem at all with the handball. There's nothing wrong with breaking the rules of the game if the penalty is less severe than the otherwise result.

Suarez did nothing wrong. On the contrary, he made a great play and saved his team the game.
    Would that also apply on this site? Just use an engine now and again when your rating is going down. Breaking the rules on purpose is cheating.
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 17:49
    Originally posted by biffo konker
    Would that also apply on this site? Just use an engine now and again when your rating is going down. Breaking the rules on purpose is cheating.
    you really don't get it do you!

suarez didn't cheat, he wasn't hiding behind his computer sneakingly making a few chess moves illegally, he made a last ditched attempt to save his team from going out of the world cup and he got the appropriate punishment. huge difference.
  11. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 18:18
    If you want to use a chess analogy, then you need to refer to the sacrifice made in desperation, desperately trying to complicate a lost situation.

D
  12. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 23:35
    Apples and oranges. If a player weighed the consequences of his actions versus the eventual outcome it is not cheating. He violated a rule, plain and simple. Cheating is hiding behind something to attain an outcome, like using an engine to wina chess game. Maradona's hand of god goal was cheating. Suarez' handball was not. It was an intentional foul and he suffered the consequences. That's all. NOw he won't play in the semis, yet his team still stands a chance. Goal goes in they're out of the world cup. No brainer!
  13. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 07:52
    Originally posted by monteirof
    A single goal in football worths more than a try, penalty try or whatever in rugby. You usually have 2 goals per game in a football match.
    You also miss the point. From my frame of reference, rugby, I would like to see that goal awarded by a football referee.

You are wrong, a big percentage of rugby games, especially played in the latter stages of a World Cup are decided with a few penalty kicks and the games are usually close affairs. In this situation a try would be worth gold, so a ref could award a penalty try if a player did something similar to what Suarez did.
  14. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 13:49
    Originally posted by trev33
    you really don't get it do you!

suarez didn't cheat, he wasn't hiding behind his computer sneakingly making a few chess moves illegally, he made a last ditched attempt to save his team from going out of the world cup and he got the appropriate punishment. huge difference.
    You are correct - I really don´t get it.This could be because I am using the normal definition of cheating ie " to purposely break the rules of a game to gain advantage"
    It looks like you are using a different definition.
    Using my definition Suarez is a cheat.Using your definition -whatever that could be - Suarez is a hero.
    I know that he paid the price -red card- and Ghana got the penalty shot but that does not alter the fact that he cheated.Using my definition.
  15. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 16:27
    You are correct - I really don´t get it.This could be because I am using the normal definition of cheating ie " to purposely break the rules of a game to gain advantage"
    It looks like you are using a different definition.
    Using my definition Suarez is a cheat.Using your definition -whatever that could be - Suarez is a hero.
    I know that he paid the p ...[text shortened]... ana got the penalty shot but that does not alter the fact that he cheated.Using my definition.
    In sport there in implicit agreement among participants that they will play by the rules and eschew unfair measures to win. Cheating occurs when actions are taken that violate the rules of competition in order to gain an advantage. These violations can take many forms including the taking of substances to improve performance (doping), using equipment that does not conform to the rules or illegally altering the condition of equipment during play, and deliberate foul play with the aim of avoiding sanction.

High profile examples of doping include Canadian sprinter Ben Johnson's disqualification following the 100 metres final at the 1988 Summer Olympics, and admissions of steroid use by former professional baseball players after they have retired, such as José Canseco[2] and Ken Caminiti.[3]

One of the most famous instances of deceiving the officials in professional sport occurred during the 1986 FIFA World Cup quarter-final, when Diego Maradona used his hand to punch the ball into the back of the net past the England goalkeeper Peter Shilton. Using the hand or arm by anyone other than a goalkeeper is illegal according to the rules of association football.

Illegally altering the condition of playing equipment is frequently seen in sports such as baseball and cricket. For example in baseball, a pitcher using a doctored baseball (e.g. putting graphite or Vaseline on the baseball), or a batter using a corked bat are some examples of this.

Circumvention of rules governing conduct and procedures of a sport can also be considered cheating. During the 2007 Formula One Season, driver Fernando Alonso was labelled a "cheat" for exchanging confidential information between the teams of Scuderia Ferrari and Mclaren.

Since Suarez did not engage in the deliberate foul to avoid sanction he simply committed a fould for opposite reasons of what constitutes cheating. Illegal and cheating are not synonimous. Diving is cheating. What Maradona did in his "hand of God" goal is cheating at its utmost. He employed deception. Suarez did not.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree