Standard membersh76
Sports 02 Jul '10 21:04
  1. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 11:31
    Originally posted by Palynka
    BUT, in the realm of unsportmanlike behaviour, I think what Filipe Melo did (stamping an opponent), what Robben did (faking being hurt to get a player red carded) or what Ronaldo and many others do so many times (diving to get a foul where there was none) is much worse.
    Absolutely. You'll get no argument for dives from me.

One thing that irritates me (and many other people who don't really follow football) about football (remember, I may watch some European league games and Continental and WC tournaments) is the inconsistent refereeing.

It seems referees are less prone to foul inside the box for obvious fouls, but will foul, or even yellow card for the exact same thing in midfield. Sorry if this is just my ignorance showing, but that's the feeling I get when I watch football.

Surely if they just show zero tolerance for fouls and are then even stricter on dives the game will flow?
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 11:38
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Absolutely. You'll get no argument for dives from me.

One thing that irritates me (and many other people who don't really follow football) about football (remember, I may watch some European league games and Continental and WC tournaments) is the inconsistent refereeing.

It seems referees are less prone to foul inside the box for obvious fouls, but w ...[text shortened]... ey just show zero tolerance for fouls and are then even stricter on dives the game will flow?
    I think that it's because of two things. First, because they know that a penalty is likely to be a goal and so they need to be very sure it was a penalty. And second because they know there's more diving inside the box as the benefit of getting a call there is huge.

It's hard to tell a dive from a fall from normal contact and a yellow card is a pretty harsh punishment if it wasn't a dive (adding insult to injury). I think this is why it's hard for refs to be sure they can yellow card a player for diving.
  3. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 11:53
    Originally posted by trev33
    the appropriate action usually being a sin binning and a penalty, not penalty try. last few seconds, 4 points behind there's not a rugby player in the game who wouldn't trip someone to stop a serious try scoring opportunity. and rightly so, do whatever it takes to win the game, the refs are there to dish out the appropriate punishment within the rules of the ...[text shortened]... egraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/club/6047832/Dean-Richards-ban-how-Bloodgate-saga-unfolded.html
    A penalty try can only be given if the ref is absolutely sure the professional foul stopped a try from being scored.
    The ref MUST then give a yellow, sin-binning the player for 10 minutes, or can also award a red card if the offence was an unfair or malicious act, contra to the spirit of the game.
    http://www.irblaws.com/EN/laws/3/10/93/during-the-match/foul-play/unfair-play/#clause_93

That's a weird story, can't believe I didn't hear of it earlier.
    How was a subbed player allowed to come back on? This must be a European league thing. In Internationals blood subs can only happen with bench players, I believe. Except if it's a front rower.
  4. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 11:55
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I think that it's because of two things. First, because they know that a penalty is likely to be a goal and so they need to be very sure it was a penalty. And second because they know there's more diving inside the box as the benefit of getting a call there is huge.

It's hard to tell a dive from a fall from normal contact and a yellow card is a pretty har ...[text shortened]... I think this is why it's hard for refs to be sure they can yellow card a player for diving.
    I suppose this is the bane of the fan with high def TVs, high speed cameras and super slow-motion replays...
  5. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 12:05
    Originally posted by orion25
    More: if any dutch player except the goalie had done that I would quit supporting them immediately - there is no place for this in my concept of sport.
    Arjen Robben diving everytime a player gets within a foot of him, Ruud Van Nistelrooy celebrating in an opponent's face, Rijkaard sptting at an opponent are all worse behaviour in my opinion. Yet you still support Holland?

You can't call a player a cheat for playing within the rules. If the rules are wrong (and I don't think they are in this case), then that is a seperate point.

Do you think goalkeepers who pull down players as they run past them to tap into an empty net are cheats? Or defenders who commit professional fouls? I don't think so, but if you don't, are you not being a bit hypocritical?

For me, it (the game and drama) provided the most entertainment of this entire World Cup, which has been somethign of a damb squib, in my opinion.

Would Gyan step up and take another (I was the happiest man around that he scored given the game he had played up to then)? Could Ghana get their heads right? It was superb!

D
  6. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 12:52
    All this Suarez discussion is stupid. He commited a foul and was correctly punished. Foul is part of the game, not cheating. How many times in a basketball game have you seen players making fouls to each other in order to stop the clock? Or making fouls to avoid someone to have a layup?

Does it happen a lot in football? No way, it's extremelly rare to see a player avoiding a goal with his hand. And usually, it's a big mistake cause it's a certain red card and penalty. If Suarez had done it in the first half it would be a huge mistake by him.

I have never seen something like that happening in the last second. I think it's the most fantastic end of a game I've ever seen and I'm extremelly glad for that Suarez hand. Ghana players would have done the same. It would be cheating if the ref didn showed red card and called penalty.
  7. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 12:56
    A penalty try can only be given if the ref is absolutely sure the professional foul stopped a try from being scored.
    The ref MUST then give a yellow, sin-binning the player for 10 minutes, or can also award a red card if the offence was an unfair or malicious act, contra to the spirit of the game.
    http://www.irblaws.com/EN/laws/3/10/93/during-the-match/fo ...[text shortened]... nals blood subs can only happen with bench players, I believe. Except if it's a front rower.
    A single goal in football worths more than a try, penalty try or whatever in rugby. You usually have 2 goals per game in a football match.
  8. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 13:15
    Interesting, although I expected you to say something along those lines. If this hypothetical referendum happened, do you think your views would be shared globally?
    More than most neutrals in discussions I have seen on this subject agree that what happened was right, it wasn't cheating, worse things have gone unpunished, etc.

Suarez saved his team by breaking a rule, was heavily punished, and the only person that Ghana has to blame is Gyan for missing his penalty.

This will go down as one of the more memorable moments in World Cup history.
  9. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 13:22
    OMG people are crying.

Suarez did the absolutely right thing for his team and were severely punished because of it. Why are people still discussing this?
  10. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 13:54
    "Sometimes in training I play as a goalkeeper so it was worth it."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2010/teams/ghana/7869987/Suarez-revels-in-Hand-of-God-moment.html
  11. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 14:00
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Arjen Robben diving everytime a player gets within a foot of him, Ruud Van Nistelrooy celebrating in an opponent's face, Rijkaard sptting at an opponent are all worse behaviour in my opinion. Yet you still support Holland?

You can't call a player a cheat for playing within the rules. If the rules are wrong (and I don't think they are in this case), the ...[text shortened]... he game he had played up to then)? Could Ghana get their heads right? It was superb!

D
    If we had progressed with such an attitude I wouldn't want holland to progress any further in the competition. What happened 20 years ago doesn't have anything to do with that. I'm talking about this competition.

I didn't call Suarez a cheat (if I did then I retract, for it is not what I meant), I just called him a little girl with no sense of integrity and honour.

Now you come up with robben again, so I have to tell again, he made a meal of hundredths of dangerous tackles on him, how do you want to compare that to trying to take away a certain win by your opposition.

Sure, fouls are part of the game. When you try to play the ball I don't mind them. When they only have the intent of endangering the opponent or stopping play then they should not be done, and shows bad character every time it happens - meaning a yellow card should be presented every time.

Anyway, that's my point of view, it seems like most don't agree. Have it your way. I don't like it is all.
  12. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 16:58
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    More than most neutrals in discussions I have seen on this subject agree that what happened was right, it wasn't cheating, worse things have gone unpunished, etc.

Suarez saved his team by breaking a rule, was heavily punished, and the only person that Ghana has to blame is Gyan for missing his penalty.

This will go down as one of the more memorable moments in World Cup history.
    In most games breaking the rules is cheating. Blatant cheating (ie breaking the rules) is so much a part of football today that it is accepted.Shirt pulling,hand contact with other players,tripping,diving,ect are all against the rules and yet now a normal part of the game.Now that we have the super slow motion cameras and it is clear to see it could be the time to do something about it.Or change the rules to allow everything.
  13. Joined
    29 Oct '04
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 17:32
    Originally posted by biffo konker
    In most games breaking the rules is cheating. Blatant cheating (ie breaking the rules) is so much a part of football today that it is accepted.Shirt pulling,hand contact with other players,tripping,diving,ect are all against the rules and yet now a normal part of the game.Now that we have the super slow motion cameras and it is clear to see it could be the time to do something about it.Or change the rules to allow everything.
    Breaking the rules is not cheating, otherwise every pro player is a cheat many time over. People are not robots.

There is something called a professional foul in football, usually, applied to holding (non-violently) an opposing player and preventing him from getting into an open space with the ball. You get a yellow card for it and a free kick and the game goes on. It is universally considered a necessary evil and not overly condemned. What Suarez did can also be called a professional foul.

The morals are relative to what is accepted by the current society. If 100 out of 100 players would do the same, then it's not immoral. BTW if a real goalkeeper have done the same we would say a great save, so it also takes skills to react to that shot.
  14. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 17:43
    He deliberately violated the rules of the game = CHEATING.

Irrelevant whether he did it dishonestly or not.

I just looked through the FIFA rules of football and didn't see anything about 'professional fouls'.
  15. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 17:48
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    He deliberately violated the rules of the game = [b]CHEATING.

Irrelevant whether he did it dishonestly or not.

I just looked through the FIFA rules of football and didn't see anything about 'professional fouls'.[/b]
    What about fouling an opponent? That's a violation of the rules. Or standing offside? That's a violation.

Cry more noobs.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree