You be the Commentator...

You be the Commentator...

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
16 Nov 09
1 edit

Okay, i found a clip that will do. All you have to do is tell us WHY this goal was scored.

Let's hear some non-players first that have only watched the game on tv. The idea is to show that non-players don't understand the game as well as ex-players and non-players can't give you the kind of insight that ex-players can.

&feature=related

F
Love thy bobblehead

Moves
16 Nov 09

What sport is that?

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
17 Nov 09

Come on now, let's hear you all put your money where your mouth is...all you guys that were going on saying the ex-player knowledge thing is BS. Ok fine, prove it.....!!!!

Bahk Bahk Bak!!!

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
17 Nov 09

Originally posted by uzless
All you have to do is tell us WHY this goal was scored.
I suspect it's the POINT of the game?

m

Moves
17 Nov 09

Come on now, let's hear you all put your money where your mouth is...all you guys that were going on saying the ex-player knowledge thing is BS. Ok fine, prove it.....!!!!
Nobody has tried to claim that watching once or twice on telly is enough to understand the game. The claim is that there is no magic barrier of understanding that cannot be passed without playing the game.

I'll quite happily admit I know nothing about ice-hockey. Not only have I never played it, but I've barely watched it at all. So any comments I'd make would prove nothing either way.

If the same goes for the others you were arguing with, this thread is pretty pointless 🙂.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
17 Nov 09

Okay, i found a clip that will do. All you have to do is tell us WHY this goal was scored.

Let's hear some non-players first that have only watched the game on tv. The idea is to show that non-players don't understand the game as well as ex-players and non-players can't give you the kind of insight that ex-players can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh7WQALmQdE&feature=related
I don't understand the question. The goal was scored because the offensive player shot the puck into the net. What kind of analysis are you looking for?

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
17 Nov 09

Why don't YOU tell us, master of the game.

P-

m

Moves
17 Nov 09

Originally posted by sh76
What kind of analysis are you looking for?
He's looking for something he can pick holes in, in the misapprehension that it will prove his contention that you can't fully understand a sport if you've not played it.

M

Moves
17 Nov 09
2 edits

1. A major thing was the bad pass by the defenseman that originally set up the play. The pass overshot the intended recipient, bounced off the wall, and Ovechkin was able to intercept it. Ovechkin then made a nifty spin move to get around the guy with him, and now had an almost clear path to the net.

2. A defender was able to catch up and checked Ovechkin to the ice. Ovechkin, however was able to drop his shoulder so that he could stay in front of that defender - and even though Ovechkin had gone to the ice, he was able to keep the puck in front of him, and very importantly never lost sight of the puck.

3. The next major thing was that the goalie should have stayed at the right corner of the net, but instead started moving to his left - probably because he was anticipating the collision with Ovechkin sliding towards him. But that little slide to the left created an opening, and Ovechkin, still more or less in control of the puck, was able to steer the puck into that slightly open right corner before crashing into the goalie.

another thing -- when Ovechkin went down, the goalie could have moved towards the play. Ovechkin would almost certainly have crashed into the goalie (creating interference that would've nullified the goal) before getting a shot off. But I'm not sure if there was enough time to think of doing that in the split second that it took for the play to occur

q

Moves
17 Nov 09

This is very different than what you were arguing in the other forum. To be consistent with your previously absurd poistion, you need to show that no one who wasn't an ex-player can have an comprehension of what is going on that their explanation has enough meaning that they could enjoy watching the sport. No one would argue with you that most ex-players know more than Joe six pack what I found ridiculous is your claim that they an average person could not understand a sport.

M

Moves
17 Nov 09
1 edit

Originally posted by quackquack
This is very different than what you were arguing in the other forum. To be consistent with your previously absurd poistion, you need to show that no one who wasn't an ex-player can have an comprehension of what is going on that their explanation has enough meaning that they could enjoy watching the sport. No one would argue with you that most ex-player ...[text shortened]... what I found ridiculous is your claim that they an average person could not understand a sport.
Am I the only one here interested in learning something here from uzless?

The underlying point of uzless's argument is that a person with direct experience is going to be aware of subtleties that the non-player is going to miss. Being that I have never played anything close to real ice hockey (and never will), the next best thing is to gather whatever insights I can from those who have played. And I am very interested in finding out about what I might be missing.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
17 Nov 09

Originally posted by Melanerpes

The underlying point of uzless's argument is that a person with direct experience is going to be aware of subtleties that the non-player is going to miss. Being that I have never played anything close to real ice hockey (and never will), the next best thing is to gather whatever ...[text shortened]... m those who have played. And I am very interested in finding out about what I might be missing.
The underlying point of uzless' ranting is utterly flawed.
He chose an apt username.

He gets all pretentious about these mythic 'subtleties of the game' and then chooses a clip with a blunder and some individual magic.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
18 Nov 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Crowley
I suspect it's the POINT of the game?
You obviously got help with your answer! 😛

EPIC FAIL!

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
18 Nov 09

Excellent example!

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
18 Nov 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Melanerpes

The underlying point of uzless's argument is that a person with direct experience is going to be aware of subtleties that the non-player is going to miss. Being that I have never played anything close to real ice hockey (and never will), the next best thing is to gather whatever ...[text shortened]... m those who have played. And I am very interested in finding out about what I might be missing.
The question is not if uzless knows more about ice hockey than me. I couldn't care less about ice hockey. The question is if I, having never played the game, would be able to reach the same level of understanding than him.

Obviously, the answer is YES, because my evidently superior intelligence (relative to uzless'😉 would eventually prevail over his fabled "experience".

Case closed.