You be the Commentator...

You be the Commentator...

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M

Moves
19 Nov 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Crowley
Whaaaaaaah!
What are these people doing, making me look like a fool in MY OWN THREAD?
Whaaaaah whaaaah!
uzless is putting his arse on the line here. He should be getting a lot of respect for that.

If you (or anyone else here) wanted to make uzless look like a fool in this thread, you should have calmly pointed out all the important aspects of the play in the clip uzless posted. In response, uzless would have had to admit that you were correct - or he'd been reduced to not responding at all (which someone would have eventually called him on), or having to point out something that all of us would agree was hopelessly arcane.

In both instances, uzless looks like a fool. But so far, besides myself, there have been no takers. So (whether or not he deserves it) uzless is looking pretty good so far.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
20 Nov 09

Originally posted by Melanerpes
uzless is putting his arse on the line here. He should be getting a lot of respect for that.

If you (or anyone else here) wanted to make uzless look like a fool in this thread, you should have calmly pointed out all the important aspects of the play in the clip uzless posted. In response, uzless would have had to admit that you were correct - or he'd b ...[text shortened]... e have been no takers. So (whether or not he deserves it) uzless is looking pretty good so far.
It has has been pointed out in here (and the original thread) that his premise can not be proven. It will always be a theoretical discussion.

Even in a purely theoretical discussion, Palynka made a great point, in that no sport has any intangible aspects that a non-player will never understand.
Everyone agrees that current and ex-players may have certain insights that they will reach quicker, but nothing stops the average Joe from also reaching this level of understanding in time.

So, uzless continues to flog the dead horse, trying to get a bunch of people who never even watch ice hockey to analyse a play so that he can take it apart and laugh at us.
The exact opposite would happen if I linked a Youtube video of a rugby play for uzless to comment on, as I know the game better than he does. This is fact, and what would be the point?

Useless doesn't want to debate anything or even consider that he may be wrong, so why should I show any respect? I've got no time for people who want to rant on my Internet.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
20 Nov 09

In which case, my proposed scientific experiment would show no difference between the players and the non-players in their ability to analyze plays (assuming, of course, that the non-players care about the sport as much as the players, and have watched a lot of games on TV and-or in person - and that the intelligence levels of both sample groups are simil ...[text shortened]... ut unless someone does the study, all we can really do is speculate about how it would turn out.
But I've explained that it is paramount to control for exposure and interest to the game. The average non-player will have less exposure and less interest in the game of the average player.

This is something that uzless' experiment obviously wants to sweep under the carpet because this means his test is biased to his favour. And this is why nobody wants to fall for it.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
20 Nov 09

Originally posted by Very Rusty
You played the game on a pond, same as I did. I also played organized hockey, which you don't mention, so I assume you didn't. You scored 9 goals a game because the other person could not stop the puck obviously. 😛 Sounds like you learned to skate, but you didn't actually play in organized hockey?

I was talking more along the lines of where it organ ...[text shortened]... has not played the game. I am sure there are things Wayne, & Mario could explain to me. 😉
I did state I never played organized. Read again if you like.

The reason I scored was not because people couldn't stop my puck, it was because they couldn't stop me.

My main point is there are people (and it sure is NOT me) who never played but know the game as well as those who have.

Special Note!~ I miss it, it was fun. We knew the basics about defenders and off-sides and such, and there were people playing with me who DID play organized. They'd tell any of us what we were doing wrong.

These things could be learned by reporters and fans who are able to read or talk with others about the game.

I'm still waiting for Uzeless' 'view' to see what I actually did not see.

I'm also waiting for the guy who also played organized hockey who's going to NOT agree with Uzeless. It's inevitable.

P-

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
20 Nov 09

Originally posted by Phlabibit
I did state I never played organized. Read again if you like.

The reason I scored was not because people couldn't stop my puck, it was because they couldn't stop me.

My main point is there are people (and it sure is NOT me) who never played but know the game as well as those who have.

Special Note!~ I miss it, it was fun. We knew the basics abou ...[text shortened]... played organized hockey who's going to NOT agree with Uzeless. It's inevitable.

P-
I must have missed where you stated what you said about the clip, I will go back and look at your view on it if I can find it.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
20 Nov 09

Useless doesn't want to debate anything or even consider that he may be wrong, so why should I show any respect? I've got no time for people who want to rant on my Internet.
You still haven't given your view on the clip. Are you afraid you will miss things, or do you already know you will?

I don't believe he is the one doing any ranting, on "your Internet"....LOL....

M

Moves
20 Nov 09
3 edits

It has has been pointed out in here (and the original thread) that his premise can not be proven. It will always be a theoretical discussion.

Even in a purely theoretical discussion, Palynka made a great point, in that no sport has any intangible aspects that a non-player will never understand.
Everyone agrees that current and ex-players may have certa so why should I show any respect? I've got no time for people who want to rant on my Internet.
So, uzless continues to flog the dead horse, trying to get a bunch of people who never even watch ice hockey to analyse a play so that he can take it apart and laugh at us.
The exact opposite would happen if I linked a Youtube video of a rugby play for uzless to comment on, as I know the game better than he does. This is fact, and what would be the point?

I saw the clip as akin to something that people post in the Posers and Puzzles Forum. I thought it would be fun to see if we laymen could find the "key element".

And I thought it would be fun if a bunch of REALLY average Joes who don't even WATCH hockey all that much would be able to find all of the "intangible elements" that uzless claims are impossible for the non-player to see. If uzless decides to laugh at our efforts, who cares? None of us are in grade school. I'm sure we can take it.

And yes, perhaps we could all then take a crack at a rugby play and see how well we laymen can figure that out. That would probably be fun too.

You may ask, "what's the point?" --- well, you could ask the same thing about why any of other bother to play a game of chess. Nobody's going to prove anything special by winning the game. It's just fun to play.

M

Moves
20 Nov 09
1 edit

For anyone who is interested in commenting on the actual play in uzless's clip, I have started a thread in the Posers and Puzzles Forum.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
20 Nov 09

I must have missed where you stated what you said about the clip, I will go back and look at your view on it if I can find it.
You able to follow what's said?

You played the game on a pond, same as I did. I also played organized hockey, which you don't mention, so I assume you didn't. ... 😉

No where in there did you ask IF i commented on the clip.

Now where in this thread did I claim to comment on the clip.

My last post was in response to you saying I did not mention if I played organized hockey. I did address that having said I was never coached, played on ponds only.

Get it straight!

Why don't I comment on the clip? I don't like the way the question is asked. My point is stated more than once now about knowledge not being limited to those who 'do'.

P-

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
20 Nov 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Phlabibit

Why don't I comment on the clip? I don't like the way the question is asked. My point is stated more than once now about knowledge not being limited to those who 'do'.

P-
This is what the thread is about the clip! You don't like the question because you can't answer the question?

Perhaps you might do that in the posers and puzzles if you have an idea on it. I figure you wouldn't want your answer to be wrong, same as others, to be the reason you don't comment on it.

I will not laugh I promise! 😉

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
20 Nov 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Palynka
The question is not if uzless knows more about ice hockey than me. I couldn't care less about ice hockey. The question is if I, having never played the game, would be able to reach the same level of understanding than him.

Obviously, the answer is YES, because my evidently superior intelligence (relative to uzless'😉 would eventually prevail over his fabled "experience".

Case closed.
My guess:

Viewing the clip, the guard (bottom screen wearing white) didn't make it to the blue line, and on top of that turned the wrong way when the guy in red got the puck.

He's probably got troubles at home with his wife or something... perhaps his dog died. his mind was not on the game.

M'right?

P-

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
20 Nov 09

Originally posted by shortcircuit
Dr. Rubinstein....what is the difference WHAT sport it is? The same parameters existin in every sport where players and coaches are parts of the team. Why do you believe that hockey is a special?
hockey is the sport that is in the clip you nimrod.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
20 Nov 09
1 edit

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
20 Nov 09

[b]So, uzless continues to flog the dead horse, trying to get a bunch of people who never even watch ice hockey to analyse a play so that he can take it apart and laugh at us.
The exact opposite would happen if I linked a Youtube video of a rugby play for uzless to comment on, as I know the game better than he does. This is fact, and what would be the po ...[text shortened]... Nobody's going to prove anything special by winning the game. It's just fun to play.
don't waste your time melanpres.

These guys won't post their comments on the clip. They are waiting for me to give my version so they can say that everything i said is what they were thinking already.

The only way to stop this trick is to get them to put their thoughts down first, in writing.

But we know these guys will never stick their neck out like that. No one here will ever put their money where their mouths are.....like I have with this thread.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
20 Nov 09

Originally posted by uzless
don't waste your time melanpres.

These guys won't post their comments on the clip. They are waiting for me to give my version so they can say that everything i said is what they were thinking already.

The only way to stop this trick is to get them to put their thoughts down first, in writing.

But we know these guys will never stick their neck out l ...[text shortened]... No one here will ever put their money where their mouths are.....like I have with this thread.
Did I do bad?

I've another view also... I just still don't stand behind your thought that only those who play know 'crap'.

You should have done this as a competition... PM you the answer as we see it.

P-