1. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    28 Nov '07 08:56
    How about creating it nice and early so it can fill up nice and big?

If it is open for a full month then it could be huge!

Create it NOW!
  2. Standard memberSmiffy
    SPS CLAN
    Wales
    Moves
    28 Nov '07 11:49
    I agree it normally opens over christmas and thats not really long enough 🙂.
  3. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Nov '07 12:19
    Originally posted by flexmore
    How about creating it nice and early so it can fill up nice and big?

If it is open for a full month then it could be huge!

Create it NOW!
    Sorry, you have used all your available recommendations at this time.
  4. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    28 Nov '07 14:41
    How about a banded championship added to the overall championship?
  5. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    28 Nov '07 16:55
    It would be good if it was created either slightly earlier in the year or with a slightly shorter time limit.
    That way all the games could be finished before the end of the year - the 2007 championships are still likely to be going up until very near the end of this year, and with it being christmas I wouldnt be surprised if some players put their games on hold until after the new year.
  6. Joined
    06 Sep '07
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 17:40
    I know its probably not feasable, but I would like to see all 1500+ players excluded until say round 3, and all the 1500- players play each other invarious groups for places in the real stages, sort of like the english FA cup, that way us woodpushers get a chance of progressing a little way without being totally destroyed within the first round.
    Having groups of 16 with 2000 players in and only one winner means that there is zero chance for 80 percent of the sites members from staying in it for long.
  7. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 18:19
    Maybe a seeding system would work to do that - so the lowest seeds (I.E. those rated around 1200 and down) would play in the first round, then the higher seeds would be introduced in the next round, and the next higest seeds introduced the next round etc.
    On the downside, it would mean the stronger players have to win less games to win the tournament, and also it would be more of a knockout event then having the excitement of the final group.

Although, having said that - some people like that format for the real world championships..
  8. Joined
    06 Sep '07
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 18:27
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    Maybe a seeding system would work to do that - so the lowest seeds (I.E. those rated around 1200 and down) would play in the first round, then the higher seeds would be introduced in the next round, and the next higest seeds introduced the next round etc.
    On the downside, it would mean the stronger players have to win less games to win the tournam ...[text shortened]...

Although, having said that - some people like that format for the real world championships..
    Maybe have both, chess has been traditionally swiss or round robin, but why not combine like a lot of other sports, have a few knockout rounds for the kids then onto the big groups for the third round, that would make for an exciting tournament for all then imo... weak players would have a shot of staying ion it for a while and the stronger players still get their big groups.

Its a little selfish I suppose, but people around my rating are very unlikely to ever get up there with the big boys (and girls) so it gives them a bit of a run in the best tournament of the year too.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 18:43
    Has anyone sent feedback asking for it to be opened up a little early?
  10. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    29 Nov '07 21:57
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    The 2007 championships are still likely to be going up until very near the end of this year, and with it being christmas I wouldnt be surprised if some players put their games on hold until after the new year.
    Since there is no timeout, only a timebank, the vacation system cannot delay the outcome. If a player takes a vacation his timebank will continue to deplete. Having said that, it is possible that some games might only end in early January. However, I'm pretty sure the winner will be known before next year's tournament kicks off.
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 21:04
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    Since there is no timeout, only a timebank, the vacation system cannot delay the outcome. If a player takes a vacation his timebank will continue to deplete. Having said that, it is possible that some games might only end in early January. However, I'm pretty sure the winner will be known before next year's tournament kicks off.
    I thought that timebank was stopped when a subscriber went on vacation because people were complaining about just that happening in the hardcore tournaments.
  12. Standard membercludi
    Blogger
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '07 22:141 edit
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    I thought that timebank was stopped when a subscriber went on vacation because people were complaining about just that happening in the hardcore tournaments.
    Timebanks continue to deplete while on vacation.

The problem could be that a player decides to go on a 36 day vacation just before his timebank expires. And even worse, his opp could decide to do the same just before his timebank expires.

And that scenario could theoretically happen in all 3 rounds of the championship.

Not very likely, though...
  13. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    01 Dec '07 01:23
    Just for a change I took a deep breath and decided to let an opportunity to lambaste the new vacation system slip right by...

... my mistake.
  14. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    06 Dec '07 11:21
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    Has anyone sent feedback asking for it to be opened up a little early?
    I guess not 🙁
  15. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    06 Dec '07 15:43
    Originally posted by flexmore
    I guess not 🙁
    Sent feedback. Russ says it will go up in the next 2 hours.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree