1. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    15 Aug '07 18:21
    i'm not bitter. I am for a "fair" vacation system that is actually a vacation system. "Sanctimonious lies!" good heavens. Such words.
  2. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    15 Aug '07 18:46
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Specifically which tournaments that the 2 of you are taking part in, is heng holding up? Why do you feel the need to tell lies about somebody like that (that heng is holding up tournaments)? Who do you think you are to tell somebody they can't use the pre-agreed time controls as they wish? Would you kick somebody under the table in an OTB match, when you ...[text shortened]... e your sanctimony and lies at home, and just time heng out if you get the chance.

D
    I have no problem with heng nor how he has used the vacation system but in the interests of fairness my 2 games against him in Tournament 2058 did hold up the start of round 2.
  3. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    15 Aug '07 18:52
    i went back over all of my postings in this thread and don't see where any of my comments were attacks on heng or that i told any lies. to those who feel compelled to attack someone in defense of someone else, i regret the misunderstanding
  4. Standard member8D
    Fixer
    Detroit
    Moves
    29 Aug '07 14:46
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Specifically which tournaments that the 2 of you are taking part in, is heng holding up? Why do you feel the need to tell lies about somebody like that (that heng is holding up tournaments)? Who do you think you are to tell somebody they can't use the pre-agreed time controls as they wish? Would you kick somebody under the table in an OTB match, when you ...[text shortened]... e your sanctimony and lies at home, and just time heng out if you get the chance.

D
    You need to get a life.

Who has time to research that kind of data?

I thought I had a chess problem, but you my friend need to get something else to do.

I suggest the following:

Beer
    Women
    more Beer
    Women
    Sport (football-both kinds)
    strange women
    lots of Beer

In any order you please๐Ÿ™‚
  5. Joined
    10 Jun '07
    Moves
    30 Aug '07 00:56
    Huge heng fan here. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hope you get on top of things soon man
  6. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    30 Aug '07 05:37
    for whatever it is worth, heng is taking on new games. it's fine with me. i'm not complaining. also, his rating is almost back to where it should be and he hasn't timed any recent games out that i've had with him.
  7. England.
    Moves
    30 Aug '07 12:292 edits
    I really don't see the issue here, and there does seem a reasonable amount of support. If you join any game, read the time controls and expect your opponent to take up to that time limit for each move (plus any timebank and holiday/vacation entitlement). A player is never 'holding up' a Tournamanet if they are playing within the time conrtols, they are actively partcipating in it (if they are in an obvious losing position, fair enough they should probably resign regardless of any other criteria). A side-effect I can see is if a player does take on too many games and then suffers multiple timeouts and a significant ratings drop then (although the 100 day rule assists) they could at a later date eneter a Tournamant below their 'natural rating', if they hadn't subsequently regained it, but again this is within the current rules.
  8. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    30 Aug '07 14:47
    Quaff, you confuse me. You say that "you don't see the problem" and then go on to explain some of the problems - not all - clearly. There are many problems and playing "the rules" is not the same as playing in good faith and spirit of the game. I'm not going to try to explain that to anyone who doesn't get it right from the start, but here are a few of the problems:
    1. a 1700 player at 800 and how that affects ratings and tournament entries
    2. tying up 1700 games and numerous tournaments and clan matches for an extra month (vacation time) and extra months (playing by the rules to move on the 21st day of every 21 day time out), when everyone else is playing along. Again, it's within the rules and I said it - I don't have a problem with heng. He seems like a nice enough member, so this isn't about him personally, it's about the "issues" or "problems"

here's where it gets a little "sticky" on the issues. heng apologized and admitted that taking on too many games to be able to play was "stupid" (his word), but now, with more than 1200 games, and slow play (within the rules), he is taking on new clan match games. if he plays the games, fine. if he times out even one game, then the problem is quite clear so far as i am concerned. i suspect he will time out at least one game in the next two weeks.

heng, if you are there, it's cool. do what you will, you have the right to play "within the rules" however, the RHP "community" has the right to examine "the rules" and consider ways to improve the site.

here's something that might be considered: those who time out at a certain rate, let's say more than 5 games in one month, cannot take on more than 100 games at a time for one year. (just a pretend suggestion, please, all numbers and concepts could be considered).

now, go ahead and flame me out. i realize that i poured some gasoline here, but i felt someone needed to say it. sorry.
  9. England.
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 07:105 edits
    I don't see any problems with a player utlising there full time control in a game. If all players in a Tournament I am in are moving faster than me, then so what. I for one am not going to adjust my 'normal' speed of play to suit others, to think so is foolish. I would resign a lost game, I would play on at my own pace in any game I felt there was play regardless of the overall 'state' of the Tournamanet or Clan match. I'm certainly not going to 'throw' a game to suit others, to progress to the next round or complete a Clan match (join an extra Tournament, start another Clan match if anyone is so desperate to move). There may be a problem if a players rating drops significantly and they do not regain it before joining a Tournamnet below their 'natural rating' but as none of this has happened and is probably unlikely to I was (as I said) observing only a potential side-effect so therfore I have no issue with it.
  10. England.
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 10:04
    But I see waht you were saying coquette it may have sounded contradictory.
  11. Joined
    25 Jan '07
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 13:54
    im here mate....well, i have entered some tournaments true coz i felt that it is within my control and i like playing agaist higher ranked players to improve myself.....the few tournaments i entered are basically duels (coz would not affect many ppl ) and banded tourneys...i know all of u out there meant well and no hard feelings...again sorry to have caused the RHP community problems
  12. Joined
    20 Jul '07
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 15:25
    If you enter a Tournament with 21 days + 21 days what is the point of getting annoyed with a player who uses that time limit, It's how the tournament is stated at the begining. I admit I like to play chess without a long wait between moves so I join shorter time limit games and don't moan when a player uses all his stated time limit
  13. Canada
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 18:571 edit
    This is all kind of funny still. Think about it this way, if Heng is in a lossing position, but waits until the 21 day mark to move in his game, is he delaying the game just keep his rating up? Or is he just not moving because he feels he has faster time controls in other games, and gives them priority. furthermore, Heng spends very little time analyzing positions, meaning he should still be able to get through all his boards, whether it be in the process of the a day or two, while still moving too in faster time controls, unless he is focusing on several games, and wanting to play his best due to the tournament round, clan match, or for other reasons. unfortunately, even if any of this is true, you cant stop him... Heng said he would lower his game limit, but if you look through recent tournies he has entered more then just duels unlike what he has said. My advice is, dont join tournies that he enters, thats what I do. I expect my tournies to finish with in 6 months, or atleast a couple rounds with in six months! Unfortunately, Heng seems to enter every possible tourney, which is one reason I have been able to keep my own game totals down (so secretely I dont mind his ruthless pick up of so many tournies) and if that doesnt work, play in sprint battles because he would be smart to avoid such in order not to lose his climbing rating again. Nonetheless, in the end, there is nothing else we can do, but whine, and ask him to stop his trends. When i first started on this site, i took a lot of slack for playing over 300 games, which lead me to play winning positions quicker then lossing, which is what I believe Heng does, and because of this, a couple players lost faith in me, and now refuse to play me. I did that on a much smaller scale then Heng, so eventually this will all catch up to him. This is why I keep my game totals under 150, and try to stay around 100. Plus many higher rated players see this as gamemanship i guess you could say...taking on fewer games to focus on playing strength rather then tourney wins. I was talking to English Tal earlier this month in a game we had, and he made a very strong point, why try and win tournies that mean nothing, and not keep your totals down so that you can focus on bigger tournies when they come out, like the 2007 championship, or in his words, the "2008 next year". It took a few days to sink in, but I believe he is right in some sense, hence why he is one of the best players on this site.
  14. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 20:381 edit
    Originally posted by ItsYouThatIAdore
    This is all kind of funny still. Think about it this way, if Heng is in a lossing position, but waits until the 21 day mark to move in his game, is he delaying the game just keep his rating up? Or is he just not moving because he feels he has faster time controls in other games, and gives them priority. furthermore, Heng spends very little time ana but I believe he is right in some sense, hence why he is one of the best players on this site.
    My only request is that he starts resigning his lost games. It doesn't have to be the ones that he should lose, but he is playing out a K, R, 2p vrs K + p (not passed). I can't think of any 1700 who will slip up even while blitzing that. the pawns are even at the wrong end of the board to give any stalemate chances.
  15. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    01 Sep '07 02:32
    Originally posted by zebano
    My only request is that he starts resigning his lost games. It doesn't have to be the ones that he should lose, but he is playing out a K, R, 2p vrs K + p (not passed). I can't think of any 1700 who will slip up even while blitzing that. the pawns are even at the wrong end of the board to give any stalemate chances.
    Well he is still reading this ๐Ÿ™‚ He just resigned the game with a note "as requested".

My thanks Mr. Heng.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree