1. Manchester
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 20:14
    This has been raised before. It is obvious that vacation privileges are being abused by some who are playing as normal but with the vacation sign up. They are effectively playing without any time control. Can this be reported as cheating? Either you are playing or youre not playing because you are on vacation. Not both.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 14:06
    Originally posted by Peterbowen8
    This has been raised before. It is obvious that vacation privileges are being abused by some who are playing as normal but with the vacation sign up. They are effectively playing without any time control. Can this be reported as cheating? Either you are playing or youre not playing because you are on vacation. Not both.
    Personally i would not mind about this to much. Although they are extending their time limits, there is an end to it because there are only 36 days available.

In my opinion everybody can do what they want with their days, and as far as i know there are no regulations which says that you need to be on vacation to use them?
  3. Manchester
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 07:52
    Having days to do with as you want is the normal time control. Being "on vacation" is treated as something separate and as such must mean something else.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 13:02
    Understand your point of view, but i think it`s more useful to focus on having fun with chess, instead of keeping your mind occupied with things which you clearly have no control of...

Just saying. 😉
  5. Manchester
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 16:03
    When you enter a tournament you agree to the rules including time controls. We all want to enjoy playing that is why we are on here but some people put winning above everything else.
  6. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 19:48
    When you enter a tournament you agree to the rules including time controls. We all want to enjoy playing that is why we are on here but some people put winning above everything else.
    Vacation is probably incorrectly named in this context.
    What it really means is protection against timeout which all it is in effect.
    As for putting winning above everything else, I think that is true of any sport or pastime for some people, particularly professional sport when vast sums of money are involved.
  7. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 22:30
    Vacation flag doesn't stop time clocks, only prevents timeout. I always put mine up when I'm travelling, because I can't be sure of getting internet connections and I really hate losing a game by timeout. But I move whenever I can, I don't want to make my opponents sit around waiting for nothing just because my flag's up.

I think the majority of people here would work the same way. There's always some clown who exploits the privilege, in every situation. It's one of the human diseases.
  8. Manchester
    Moves
    18 Jun '16 22:25
    So, is it the case that those dont want to abide by timebank controls and timeouts can just put up a sign claiming "on vacation" or "timeout protection" or whatever you want to call it and the result is they have protection from losing a game in that way? If so, why are there timebanks and timeouts if they are only optional?
    Obviously, most people use the vacation priviledge responsibly but my point is how can it be fair for one person to be claiming vacation priviledge virtually permanently and yet be playing four or five moves every day? Is this not an abuse? Incidentally since I raised this topic on here and with the individual personally his sign has now disappeared.
  9. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    19 Jun '16 17:41
    So, is it the case that those dont want to abide by timebank controls and timeouts can just put up a sign claiming "on vacation" or "timeout protection" or whatever you want to call it and the result is they have protection from losing a game in that way? If so, why are there timebanks and timeouts if they are only optional?
    Obviously, most people use t ...[text shortened]... nce I raised this topic on here and with the individual personally his sign has now disappeared.
    As mentioned,use of the vacation flag is finite.You can only display it for a maximum of 36 days per calendar year so sooner or later the option to display it will not be there.It is reset on Jan 1st so if your opponent hangs on for that long he'll get a further 36 days.
    I think the best option for you is to move as soon as possible after he has moved thus putting him under pressure.
  10. Manchester
    Moves
    19 Jun '16 21:25
    No, I think my best option is to put my own "on vacation" flag up and leave it on too. That way i cant lose by timeout either.
  11. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    20 Jun '16 09:03
    No, I think my best option is to put my own "on vacation" flag up and leave it on too. That way i cant lose by timeout either.
    Your choice of course but with only 15 games ongoing you should be able to control your time without having to use the flag.I composed this "guide" some time ago.It may help.
    Thread 166571 
  12. Manchester
    Moves
    20 Jun '16 11:33
    Your advice on how I should play my games is not welcome. In fact, I dont have any trouble managing my time thank you
  13. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    21 Jun '16 09:08
    Rudeness to players who respond to your request for assistance is not adult behaviour.
  14. Standard memberSteve45
    Mozart
    liverpool
    Moves
    21 Jun '16 21:01
    Your advice on how I should play my games is not welcome. In fact, I dont have any trouble managing my time thank you
    So it's ok for you to be obnoxious to Dave when he offers you advice, but not ok when someone puts up their vacation flag, which is everyone,s right on this site. Seriously GET A LIFE.
  15. Joined
    04 Mar '06
    Moves
    22 Jun '16 17:05
    Vacation flags are put up when you plan to be away from games for a period of time. If you retrun earlier then expected should you not move at all because it might offend someone or should you try to keep games moving? we all get a limited number of days. How anyone chooses to use them is up to them

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree