1. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 16:03
    @suzianne said
    I agree fully. I support you 100% in all these things, including the separate clan rankings, an idea whose time came a long time ago. It may be difficult for the clan system here to move forward without this. Anything short of this is just a band-aid.

Fred chose well.
    Thank you for your kind words. 🙂
  2. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 18:25
    @mghrn55 said
    Thank you for your kind words. 🙂
    It's amusing to see thumbs down on a simple thank you note.
    But it does show that those failing with their losing narrative are at least reading the winning narrative. 😏
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 19:17
    @mghrn55 said
    It's amusing to see thumbs down on a simple thank you note.
    But it does show that those failing with their losing narrative are at least reading the winning narrative. 😏
    It speaks volumes that good manners should reap thumbs down.

So, one UP from me, to raise the tone here.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 19:20
    @mghrn55 said
    The implementation of the changes would be another matter for discussion.
    My best guess is that the starting rating for each player would simply be set to their present site rating or TER on day one and each rating would be calculated forward from there.
    I think TER would be better as the bad actors would spent last few days before implementation tanking their ratings in preparation for the cutover.
    If implemented, there would be a short run-in period during which some players’ ratings would be adjusted, up or down. They would stabilize soon enough, and then the 200-point differential would work as intended to prevent lopsided challenges.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 19:271 edit
    @caesar-salad removed their quoted post
    Using the tournament entry rating (TER) as the clan rating would be sensible and easy to implement.

Agree that retro-calculation is not feasible.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 19:511 edit
    @very-rusty said
    Shortcircuit didn't choose, he asked for someone who would like to step up and take over. mghrn55 stepped up and everyone agreed.

I agree that mghrn55 was the best to take over and is doing excellent in his first year at the helm. Also agree with seperate Ratings, just don't know how easy or hard that might be for Russ to do.

This is a topic about the ratings that has been brought up many times in the past by different people!

-VR
    Shut up, Rusty, I know you love to just come in barking and naysay me every chance you get. Maybe your clan leader can hold your leash a while.

I was among the first to suggest separate ratings, so no, you don't get to school me on this.
  7. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 19:55
    @moonbus said
    Using the tournament entry rating (TER) as the clan rating would be sensible and easy to implement.

Agree that retro-calculation is not feasible.
    Correct.
    There will be a transitional period with some churn to be expected.
  8. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 20:01
    @suzianne said
    Shut up, Rusty, I know you love to just come in barking and naysay me every chance you get. Maybe your clan leader can hold your leash a while.
    To set the record straight, shortcircuit did approach me with a "give it some thought" overture about a month before he decided he needed a break.

I am pleased he thought well of me.
    He is a formidable act to follow.
    We all understand that he needed a well deserved break.
    And I am happy he is staying with our clan.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 20:16
    @mghrn55 said
    To set the record straight, shortcircuit did approach me with a "give it some thought" overture about a month before he decided he needed a break.

I am pleased he thought well of me.
    He is a formidable act to follow.
    We all understand that he needed a well deserved break.
    And I am happy he is staying with our clan.
    Yes, Fred and I go way back here, and even though his stepping down came as a surprise, I respect that he went out on top. Well-deserved break, indeed.

From what I've seen, he did right going to you first. I, as well as my clan, will always support integrity, and of course this includes supporting those who stand up against those who would corrupt the system.
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 20:321 edit
    @suzianne said

I was among the first to suggest separate ratings, so no, you don't get to school me on this.
    Suzie Q, you should learn to control yourself and be more calm.

You along with others were the first to mention this it wasn't just you, keep in mind I was here at the time.

That is just plain silly talk "maybe your Clan Leader can keep you on a leash"? Can you keep goad on a leash? OF course you can't. So stop with the silly talk and try to act more like a civilized Clan Leader! You will get far more respect.

-VR
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 20:352 edits
    @suzianne said
    Yes, Fred and I go way back here, and even though his stepping down came as a surprise, I respect that he went out on top. Well-deserved break, indeed.

From what I've seen, he did right going to you first. I, as well as my clan, will always support integrity, and of course this includes supporting those who stand up against those who would corrupt the system.
    What happened is like I said Shortcircuit asked the group who would like to step forward. You don't know what goes in in our Clan Suzie Q. He may also have approached mghrn55 about it. We don't as a rule discuss what goes on in our clan.

There is also one other person in our group very qualified for the job but is too busy to take it on at the moment. We also have a few others who could do the job of Clan Leader but don't have the time.

You do understand you are not suppose to use real names in the public forums?

-VR
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 20:45
    @mghrn55 said
    Correct.
    There will be a transitional period with some churn to be expected.
    Some controlled churn would be preferable to the viral spiral we are seeing now.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 20:52
    @moonbus said
    Some controlled churn would be preferable to the viral spiral we are seeing now.
    Providing the Clan ratings get seperated from the tournament, club, & private games rating. Hopefully it will happen this time, didn't go over big last time.

-VR
  14. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 20:581 edit

Removed by poster

15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 21:31
    @very-rusty said
    Providing the Clan ratings get seperated from the tournament, club, & private games rating. Hopefully it will happen this time, didn't go over big last time.

-VR
    The last time this was proposed, it was tied to other changes which, together, might have fundamentally altered the nature of clan play. That was too much for most of the captains to accept. It might be acceptable now, as a solo adjustment.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree