Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

Moves
23 Dec 09

Okay, so I went to see this in 3D the other day. I've never seen a film in 3D before and I have to say that it really does enhance the experience of the film. However, the film itself is utter balls.

Imagine Dances with Wolves, on an alien planet, with blue creatures and re-written by a 12yr old.

Need I say more?

Okay, I will: Cameron should be an artistic director, he does this very well, his sets are amazing, his props well conceived (although the soldier, vehicles and all their gear were directly ripped form the Colonial Marines of Aliens - recycle your 3D models to save money?) but in terms of writing, the man's a retard. The script was awful, the story was simplistic and the characters were shallow. On top of that his desire to eradicate humanity from film in pursuit of recreating everything with computers is plain idiotic. The point of using non-human things in film is to offer a mirror on which to extract the human condition. Cameron just wants to w@nk off to as many amazingly vibrant colours and shapes as the billions of $$$ in CGI can afford him. Don't get me wrong, the CGI was seamless, the effects were excellent and the character animation was amazing. But all this money and computer use to create a film which, once again, is devoid of any real point, depth or interest.

Visually astounding, cerebrally puerile.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
23 Dec 09

Originally posted by Starrman
Which translates into Box Office Hit, just like Transformers.

S

Moves
23 Dec 09

Originally posted by Crowley
Which translates into Box Office Hit, just like Transformers.
Alas, yes. 😞

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Dec 09

Sounds great.

K

Germany

Moves
23 Dec 09

An 18-wheeler spins out of control and it's like WROOAAHHHHH.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Dec 09

Imagine Dances with Wolves, on an alien planet, with blue creatures and re-written by a 12yr old.
I thought Dances with Wolves had already been written by a 12-year-old.

S

Moves
23 Dec 09

Originally posted by Palynka
I thought Dances with Wolves had already been written by a 12-year-old.
I think it was better than that. Anyway, just divide DwW's simplicity by 2 to accurately reflect Avatar's.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
23 Dec 09

Okay, so I went to see this in 3D the other day. I've never seen a film in 3D before and I have to say that it really does enhance the experience of the film. However, the film itself is utter balls.

Need I say more?

Okay, I will: Cameron should be a ...[text shortened]... is devoid of any real point, depth or interest.

The bigger the budget, the more important to have a popular film. Hence a more predictable and 'good guy wins'-type script.
I haven't seen it but will wait till its in the weekly section of my dvd store if the reports I've heard are anything to go by.

As much as I'd like to go to a 3-d film to enjoy the visuals ,I just know that if the script is bad I wont be able to keep quiet for long and wreck the movie for everyone else in the theatre.

R
Different

Moves
23 Dec 09

Simplicity is underrated.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Dec 09

Originally posted by Raven69
Simplicity is underrated.
Example?

R
Different

Moves
23 Dec 09

Originally posted by Palynka
Example?
Your posts.

Chasing the moon

Right out of the sky

Moves
24 Dec 09

Just saw this last night. I had no expectations, but really enjoyed it.
You don't go to these type of movies for a reality check.

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
24 Dec 09

I generally avoid all of the blockbusters and to tend gravitate to movies that might offer a suggested meaning no matter how small.

Besides I don't eat popcorn at the theater, I don't have a cell, and I can't stand being around a bunch of people chewing with their mouths open and chatting away when I've spent 7-8 bucks for the ticket.

The serious, discriminate movie goers don't eat popcorn or talk during movies.

e
Exaulted high possum

here...again

Moves
25 Dec 09

Originally posted by badmoon
I generally avoid all of the blockbusters and to tend gravitate to movies that might offer a suggested meaning no matter how small.

Besides I don't eat popcorn at the theater, I don't have a cell, and I can't stand being around a bunch of people chewing with their mouths open and chatting away when I've spent 7-8 bucks for the ticket.

The serious, discriminate movie goers don't eat popcorn or talk during movies.
I just wait for it to come out on DVD and avoid softdrink and popcorn coated seats (not to mention unknown body fluids). I pay a little more but get more out of it.

Moves
25 Dec 09
1 edit

Need I say more?

Okay, I will: Cameron should be a is devoid of any real point, depth or interest.

This may not be the case with Cameron here, but I'm pretty sure Lucas surrounded himself with "yes-men and sycophants" during the 3 abortive star wars prequels.

These guys get so wealthy and so powerful that they think their own poo doesn't stink and that they don't need positive conflict or creative disagreement in order to produce a truly great collaborative cinematic experience.

i heard Cameron talking about Avatar in a TV interview last week and could just tell by the vapid pseudo-sociolgical sound-bites he was using to describe the plot that it was going to be exactly as Starrman describes.

What a waste of opportunity.