Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
11 Mar 10

Originally posted by Seitse
In American Pie the dude feels guilty for screwing an apple pie.

It was an obvious case of liberal propaganda, like, in favor of
helping Africa, dude, because wasting food is, like, bad for Africa,
you know, because food could be, like, sent to Africa instead of
using it as a sex doll. Get me?
Isn't that the movie that had masked secret 9/11 conspiracy messages in Eugene Levy's eyebrows?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
11 Mar 10

Originally posted by Starrman
I'm just busting your chops šŸ˜›

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=119729&page=1
That was a great thread.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
11 Mar 10
8 edits

Originally posted by Palynka
LOL, and you think Avatar is that?

Films with opinions you don't like = Propaganda? Am I getting this right? šŸ™„
Films that are intended to manipulate political views are propaganda.

I liked the message of "Yankee Doodle Dandy" (the George M. Cohan biography) and that was propaganda too.

Apocalypse Now - propaganda. That movie about the first Iraq war in which the hero "never fires his rifle" - propaganda.

Any movie about a current or recent war is usually propaganda.

Here's an environmentalist pointing out the obvious - Avatar is propaganda:

With Chacon, Avatar becomes radical environmental propaganda — as if Patrick Henry joined Earth First! two centuries into the future.

Harold Linde

http://www.mnn.com/technology/research-innovations/blogs/is-avatar-radical-environmental-propaganda

Here's Wiki with the reference they used:

The blockbuster has provoked vigorous discussion of a wide variety of cultural, social, political, and religious themes identified by critics and commentators, to which the film's writer and director James Cameron responded that he hoped to create an emotional reaction and make the public conversation gravitate towards socio-political, cultural, environmental, and spiritual topics.[3]

http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/10866#frame_top

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
11 Mar 10
1 edit

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Films that are intended to manipulate political views are propaganda.

I liked the message of "Yankee Doodle Dandy" (the George M. Cohan biography) and that was propaganda too.

Apocalypse Now - propaganda. That movie about the first Iraq war in which the hero "never fires his rifle" - propaganda.

Any movie about a current or recent war is usu nn.com/technology/research-innovations/blogs/is-avatar-radical-environmental-propaganda[/i]
Nice repetition there, ATY. Are you going to just repeat assertions until I give up?

Oh, and an environmentalist says it, I guess I can only agree! Yawn.

Don't be stupid. Like your own definition states, propaganda is a systematic process and controlled transmission of repeated messages. Any single film cannot be propaganda. At best, it is part of such a process. But that requires an active political machine, which I guess now you'll claim it's Hollywood and continue your ludicrous views.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
11 Mar 10
1 edit

Nice repetition there, ATY. Are you going to just repeat assertions until I give up?

Don't be stupid. Like your own definition states, propaganda is a systematic process and controlled transmission of repeated messages. Any single film cannot be propaganda. At best, it is part ...[text shortened]... cal machine, which I guess now you'll claim it's Hollywood and continue your ludicrous views.
Writing, producing, promoting and distributing a movie with the intent of manipulating public opinion from Day 1 is not a systematic process?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
11 Mar 10
2 edits

You don't like the word propaganda? OK.

Avatar is one fantastically wealthy man's successful attempt to manipulate worldwide opinion through controlled messages distributed via mass media. Cameron even admits its completely idealized and unrealistic in order to manipulate public opinion in a leftist political direction.

That make you feel better?

It's still propaganda, but I don't mind being explicit. It drives home the point that it's propaganda.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
11 Mar 10

Why yes I do!

Propaganda is neutrally defined as a systematic form of purposeful persuasion that attempts to influence the emotions, attitudes, opinions, and actions of specified target audiences for ideological, political or commercial purposes through the controlled transmission of one-sided messages (which may or may not be factual) via mass ...[text shortened]... y and Glossary of Propaganda in the United States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda
Systematic? Yes
Purposeful persuasion? Yes

attempts to influence the emotions, attitudes, opinions, and actions of specified target audiences for ideological, political AND commercial purposes through the controlled transmission of one-sided messages (which are not factual) via mass and direct media channels. ”

Yep.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
11 Mar 10

Writing, producing, promoting and distributing a movie with the intent of manipulating public opinion from Day 1 is not a systematic process?
Not in the sense of propaganda, no. Propaganda is a systematic process in the sense that it is a continual set of messages (in various forms). So no.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
11 Mar 10

Not in the sense of propaganda, no. Propaganda is a systematic process in the sense that it is a continual set of messages (in various forms). So no.
So, you disagree. You're not exactly in a position to be calling me stupid though, douchebag.

Now, give me some arguments about why Avatar is NOT propaganda and that your definition of "systematic" is correct in this context and mine incorrect.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
11 Mar 10
2 edits

Perhaps I should point out that Avatar is not a propaganda campaign but rather a propaganda movie in the same sense as this is one in a series of multiple propaganda posters:

http://psychology.wikia.com/wiki/FilešŸ˜•heMayLookCleanBut.jpg

A series of American propaganda posters during World War II appealed to servicemen's patriotism to protect themselves from venereal disease. The text at the bottom of the poster reads, "You can't beat the Axis if you get VD".

http://psychology.wikia.com/wiki/Propaganda#Types_of_propaganda

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
11 Mar 10

Don't be stupid. Like your own definition states, propaganda is a systematic process and controlled transmission of repeated messages. Any single film cannot be propaganda. At best, it is part ...[text shortened]... cal machine, which I guess now you'll claim it's Hollywood and continue your ludicrous views.
Nice repetition there, ATY

No, not repetition. That was a demonstration that you were wrong about movies being propaganda only when I dislike them.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
11 Mar 10

Perhaps I should point out that Avatar is not a propaganda campaign but rather a propaganda movie in the same sense as this is one in a series of multiple propaganda posters:

http://psychology.wikia.com/wiki/FilešŸ˜•heMayLookCleanBut.jpg

A series of American propaganda posters during World War II appealed to servicemen's patriotis ...[text shortened]... Axis if you get VD".

http://psychology.wikia.com/wiki/Propaganda#Types_of_propaganda
"Series of posters", probably paid for and by a government or political machine in order to further that government/machine interests. If you don't see how that's quite different from a person expressing his political views through his films/art pieces/lyrics etc then I can't help you.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
11 Mar 10

Nice repetition there, ATY

No, not repetition. That was a demonstration that you were wrong about movies being propaganda only when I dislike them.
Learn how to read. I said about movies with opinions you dislike, not movies you dislike as movies.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
11 Mar 10
1 edit

Learn how to read. I said about movies with [b]opinions you dislike, not movies you dislike as movies.[/b]
And I pointed out that I liked the opinions of Yankee Doodle Dandy. Your insults are making you look like an idiot. You might want to desist. I can troll too, but I've been trying to treat you with more respect than that.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
11 Mar 10

"Series of posters", probably paid for and by a government or political machine in order to further that government/machine interests. If you don't see how that's quite different from a person expressing his political views through his films/art pieces/lyrics etc then I can't help you.
Yes, series of propaganda posters. Each poster was propaganda; thats why there was a series of them, not a propaganda series of posters. Your English grammar sucks balls.