1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    12 Mar '10 15:41
    Originally posted by Seitse
    No, Jean-Claude is the man.

But thanks for the recognition to this, his humble followers.
    All kidding aside about how gratuitously deplorable (hell, even switch those two and the meaning fits) Jean-Claude's original movies were (not counting his first, of course), the fact remains that he ought to have received at least some recognition for his "JCVD."

His soliloquy was riveting.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    12 Mar '10 15:43
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Seriously, you don't deserve any more. For example, when you start to make sense instead of just blabbing about my proficiency in English (despite being clearly superior to yours).

Besides, Starrman had already stated the obvious so I didn't feel compelled to repeat what we wrote.
    Starrman was wrong, as were you.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    12 Mar '10 15:45
    Seriously, you don't deserve any more. For example, when you start to make sense instead of just blabbing about my proficiency in English (despite being clearly superior to yours).

Besides, Starrman had already stated the obvious so I didn't feel compelled to repeat what we wrote.
    For example, when you start to make sense instead of just blabbing about my proficiency in English (despite being clearly superior to yours).

Where's the rest of this sentence? You're missing a clause.

You don't feel compelled to repeat "what we wrote"? You mean "he" right? Or did you mean you don't feel compelled to restate the ideas Starrman and you already stated? Your English is ambiguous and incorrect.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    12 Mar '10 15:46
    By calling me a douchebag? LOL! I guess you should try harder next time. As for my supposed insult, I just told you to not be stupid. It's a shame you didn't follow my advice.
    By calling me a douchebag?

This is not a complete sentence.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    12 Mar '10 15:47
    Sigurney Weaver's character had a school, taught them English, etc. They said this explicitly in the film.

And they did not have an American accent.
    Your use of "they" is incorrect in this post.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    12 Mar '10 15:48
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Can my "contribution" to this thread be considered thusly? How dare you!
    In this last humorous line you actually highlight how any statement of opinion in a debate would fit such a definition of propaganda.

The only reason anyone would then label opinion as "propaganda" is simply for the purpose of using loaded language (i.e. appealing to emotion). It seems obvious to me that the washing down of what propaganda consists on is then just a result of such tactics. For example, I think nobody sane would consider Avatar as propaganda on the same level as Triumph of the Will (to quote the most obvious example of film as part of propaganda). Yet this is what people like ATY try to convey when they label opinion as propaganda.
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    12 Mar '10 15:48
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    [b]By calling me a douchebag?

This is not a complete sentence.[/b]
    It's called colloquialism.
  8. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    12 Mar '10 15:491 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    All kidding aside about how gratuitously deplorable (hell, even switch those two and the meaning fits) Jean-Claude's original movies were (not counting his first, of course), the fact remains that he ought to have received at least some recognition for his "JCVD."

His soliloquy was riveting.
    Joke aside, if you munch some French I'd recommend checking
    his interviews*. He's way more clever and funny that what you'd
    expect from a highly successful martial artist covered in muscles.

Bloodsport and JCVD are, indeed, his cinematic legacy for future
    generations.

Edit. In "Frenglish".
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    12 Mar '10 15:49
    It seems to me that non-monumental art has been on the fringe long before marketing ever existed.

I also don't see any danger of it "dying out". There are more independent releases today than ever before. Developments in technology have made it easier and easier for an average person to be able to have some end product and the boom in shorts is a clear t ...[text shortened]... ncomparably better than 2010 or Independence Day or many other blockbusters, in my opinion.
    And it's incomparably better than 2010 or Independence Day or many other blockbusters, in my opinion.

Beginning sentences with "and" is incorrect.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    12 Mar '10 15:51
    It's called colloquialism.
    "By calling me a douchebag?" is not a colloquialism. Colloquialisms are common phrases and words that are not technically correct. "By calling me a douchebag" is not equivalent to "y'all" or "there's more than one way to skin a cat." The latter two are colloquialisms because they are common phrases.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    12 Mar '10 15:54
    And it's incomparably better than 2010 or Independence Day or many other blockbusters, in my opinion.

Beginning sentences with "and" is incorrect.
    All these are products of using colloquial language, which is obviously quite appropriate here. You need to try harder. I do a lot of mistakes when I type fast, so they shouldn't be hard to find.
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    12 Mar '10 15:571 edit
    "By calling me a douchebag?" is not a colloquialism. Colloquialisms are common phrases and words that are not technically correct. "By calling me a douchebag" is not equivalent to "y'all" or "there's more than one way to skin a cat." The latter two are colloquialisms because they are common phrases.
    Yawn. The structure of the sentence is what qualifies as colloquial (in this particular case).
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    12 Mar '10 15:57
    All these are products of using colloquial language, which is obviously quite appropriate here. You need to try harder. I do a lot of mistakes when I type fast, so they shouldn't be hard to find.
    You just assert and assert and assert. You really should be aware that assertions without support mean almost nothing.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    12 Mar '10 15:58
    Yawn. The structure of the sentence is what qualifies as colloquial.
    Oh, I get it. When you use incorrect English it's colloquial. That's why you think you're always using correct English - you define away your mistakes!
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    12 Mar '10 16:00
    Yawn. The structure of the sentence is what qualifies as colloquial (in this particular case).
    Why are you still responding to me? You wrote:

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree