Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

Moves
11 Mar 10

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Yes, series of propaganda posters. Each poster was propaganda; thats why there was a series of them, not a propaganda series of posters. Your English grammar sucks balls.
I'm sorry, what? A series of propaganda posters and a propaganda series of posters entails exactly the same thing. The latter just being more awkward to say.

1) Government has an aim, it produces many posters, used as propaganda, in pursuit of that goal.

2) Government has an aim, it produces much propaganda, in the form of posters, which it uses in pursuit of that goal.

What's the difference?

Besides, neither of these is equivalent to a single film stating a political opinon. The process of making the film is not equivalent to a propagnda pipeline, it is a production pipeline for making a film and exists irrelevant of the writer or director's political stance.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
11 Mar 10

Yes, series of propaganda posters. Each poster was propaganda; thats why there was a series of them, not a propaganda series of posters. Your English grammar sucks balls.
FAIL

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
11 Mar 10
1 edit

And I pointed out that I liked the opinions of Yankee Doodle Dandy. Your insults are making you look like an idiot. You might want to desist. I can troll too, but I've been trying to treat you with more respect than that.
By calling me a douchebag? LOL! I guess you should try harder next time. As for my supposed insult, I just told you to not be stupid. It's a shame you didn't follow my advice.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
12 Mar 10
1 edit

Gee, by the passions unleashed in this thread, I can really tell
Avatar is really agitating the masses with its revolutionary message.

It's just, like, like Van Damme movies. Pure awesomeness!

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
12 Mar 10

Originally posted by Seitse
Gee, by the passions unleashed in this thread, I can really tell
Avatar is really agitating the masses with its revolutionary message.

It's just, like, like Van Damme movies. Pure awesomeness!
Right, that's why a Chinese village renamed itself after the movie and Palestinians are dressing up like smurfs.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
12 Mar 10

Originally posted by Starrman
I'm sorry, what? A series of propaganda posters and a propaganda series of posters entails exactly the same thing. The latter just being more awkward to say.

1) Government has an aim, it produces many posters, used as propaganda, in pursuit of that goal.

2) Government has an aim, it produces much propaganda, in the form of posters, which it uses ...[text shortened]... ipeline for making a film and exists irrelevant of the writer or director's political stance.
Your assertions that the English grammar can be ignored lack any kind of support.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
12 Mar 10

Originally posted by Palynka
FAIL
Compelling argument! I can tell you're clearly a bright one - not stupid at all!

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
12 Mar 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Starrman

2) Government has an aim, it produces much propaganda, in the form of posters, which it uses ipeline for making a film and exists irrelevant of the writer or director's political stance.
Neither 1 nor 2 addresses the phrasing "Propaganda posters". It is written similarly to "blue cars". The latter phrase does not mean "a blue group of cars which are not individually blue".

How about this site?

Propaganda designers know you are on your guard. To get around your guard, they don't put one message into a piece of propaganda - they put lots of messages into each piece!

What is a "piece of propaganda" to you? Is the writer "stupid" for referring to a single object as propaganda?

http://propaganda.mrdonn.org/techniques.html

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
12 Mar 10

Let's rest for a moment and let cooler heads prevail, shall we?

Propaganda is a term that is malleable, but not to the point of contradiction. It is a corruption/shortening of a Modern Latin title, Congregatio de Propaganda Fide, which was a committee of cardinals established by Gregory XV for the purpose of supervising foreign missions... certainly not pejorative meaning originally.

However, propaganda has come to represent any medium/message which is used to help or hurt the cause of any person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc..

Can a poster from WWII be considered propaganda? Absolutely.
Can a series of posters be considered thusly? Absolutely.
Can a movie be considered propaganda? Absolutely.
Can my "contribution" to this thread be considered thusly? How dare you!

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
12 Mar 10

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Let's rest for a moment and let cooler heads prevail, shall we?

Propaganda is a term that is malleable, but not to the point of contradiction. It is a corruption/shortening of a Modern Latin title, Congregatio de Propaganda Fide, which was a committee of cardinals established by Gregory XV for the purpose of supervising foreign missions... certa ...[text shortened]... anda? Absolutely.
Can my "contribution" to this thread be considered thusly? How dare you!
🙂

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
12 Mar 10

Right, that's why a Chinese village renamed itself after the movie and Palestinians are dressing up like smurfs.
Dude, thanks to Van Damme and the inspiration he gave me, I
took on karate and now I am a triple black belt. I can carve a
portrait of Obama on a watermelon just using my awesome
round-kicks.

Do not make fun of the Muscles from Brussels!

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
12 Mar 10

Originally posted by Seitse
Dude, thanks to Van Damme and the inspiration he gave me, I
took on karate and now I am a triple black belt. I can carve a
portrait of Obama on a watermelon just using my awesome
round-kicks.

Do not make fun of the Muscles from Brussels!
You are TEH MAN!

Another site which refers to a single quote as propaganda:

This is the first of my “Pieces of Propaganda” series, where I examine propaganda from any source and analyze it. To start, I chose an easy one. This is a quote from Anne Graham Lotz, daughter of Billy Graham, interviewed on “The Early Show” on CBS on September 13th, 2001. This quote has been circulated in chain letters by Christians eager to validate each other’s beliefs.

http://francoistremblay.wordpress.com/2006/07/29/piece-of-propaganda-1-ann-graham-lotz/

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
12 Mar 10

You are TEH MAN!
No, Jean-Claude is the man.

But thanks for the recognition to this, his humble followers.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
12 Mar 10

Compelling argument! I can tell you're clearly a bright one - not stupid at all!
Seriously, you don't deserve any more. For example, when you start to make sense instead of just blabbing about my proficiency in English (despite being clearly superior to yours).

Besides, Starrman had already stated the obvious so I didn't feel compelled to repeat what we wrote.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
12 Mar 10

Originally posted by Palynka
Seriously, you don't deserve any more. For example, when you start to make sense instead of just blabbing about my proficiency in English (despite being clearly superior to yours).

Besides, Starrman had already stated the obvious so I didn't feel compelled to repeat what we wrote.
Yay, I win the thread! XD