Best music to play chess to.

Best music to play chess to.

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
13 Jul 09

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
Why not?
The atonal stuff?

s

Moves
13 Jul 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
The atonal stuff?
Keeps you revved up! His non-atonal stuff is prett darn great. Try Verklarte Nacht. I got to listening to Schoenberg at the insistence of another RHP member. good stuff. I also got into other less common fare like Berg violin concerto. If atonal does not do it for you try Schubert lieder. Nothing is more tonal, interesting and pure. Try Die Wintereisse, Schwannengessange, Die Schone Mullerin. Great stuff!!!!
I believe you speak some German? The poetry is abslolutely great!

Erro Ergo Sum

In the Green Room

Moves
13 Jul 09

Silence, the best music to play chess to is no sound at all.

s

Moves
13 Jul 09

Originally posted by AttilaTheHorn
I was wondering how long it would take for friend attila to pipe in. See what you got me doing? Recomending Schoenberg, Berg, etc. If it's too quiet I can hear myself think then I hear blunders. With music I may still blunder, but do so quietly!

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
13 Jul 09

Keeps you revved up! His non-atonal stuff is prett darn great. Try Verklarte Nacht. I got to listening to Schoenberg at the insistence of another RHP member. good stuff. I also got into other less common fare like Berg violin concerto. If atonal does not do it for you try Schubert lieder. Nothing is more tonal, interesting and pure. Try Die Wintereisse, ...[text shortened]... one Mullerin. Great stuff!!!!
I believe you speak some German? The poetry is abslolutely great!
I like all the music you mention, but it would distract me from the game, I think. Oddly enough, classical Irish music (the way The Chieftains play it) helps me focus.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
13 Jul 09

Originally posted by AttilaTheHorn
It might be interesting to program sounds for the various chess configurations (64 is a musical number, I think) and hear what the great matches of the past sound like. Maybe it'd help the chess memory too!

s

Moves
13 Jul 09

I like all the music you mention, but it would distract me from the game, I think. Oddly enough, classical Irish music (the way The Chieftains play it) helps me focus.
NOise never bothered me. My house is always noisy so I do not mind. Curiously enough, when I have great music in the background I tend to concentrate better. I also listen to Bach's B Minor Mass, Beethoven's MIssa Solemnis, Haydn's the Creation, Schumann's Faust Oratorio, various a cappella choral works and on and on.

s

Moves
13 Jul 09

It might be interesting to program sounds for the various chess configurations (64 is a musical number, I think) and hear what the great matches of the past sound like. Maybe it'd help the chess memory too!
Interesting idea! It might dethrone the atonalists! Attila would know!

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
13 Jul 09
1 edit

NOise never bothered me. My house is always noisy so I do not mind. Curiously enough, when I have great music in the background I tend to concentrate better. I also listen to Bach's B Minor Mass, Beethoven's MIssa Solemnis, Haydn's the Creation, Schumann's Faust Oratorio, various a cappella choral works and on and on.
Classical music helps me with writing but not chess.

Mediaeval (troubabour) music goes well with chess as well as more modern music by Coil, Cyclobe, irr. (ap.) ext and the likes.

No doubt it's got something to do with the weather, the moon, and mean cheese consumption.

Vampyroteuthis

Infernalis

Moves
13 Jul 09

MOE!KESTRA: Death of a Piano

S
The Mullverine

Little Beirut

Moves
13 Jul 09

Originally posted by FMF
Ozric Terntacles
wow have not heard that band name in a while. I used to have a copy of an album, it had no name, but it was great. I like anything epic when I'm playing live chess, Miles Davis' Agartha comes to mind as does Bitches Brew. Square pusher can be epic and quite aggressive. Oddly enough my friend put on a Blue Man Group album and I thought that worked well also.

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
14 Jul 09

Originally posted by StTito
wow have not heard that band name in a while. I used to have a copy of an album, it had no name, but it was great. I like anything epic when I'm playing live chess, Miles Davis' Agartha comes to mind as does Bitches Brew. Square pusher can be epic and quite aggressive. Oddly enough my friend put on a Blue Man Group album and I thought that worked well also.
Agharta is really good. I have iot on vynil but can't find it on cd or disgital. It is like a musical train trip.

Suicide Bishop

Moves
14 Jul 09

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 1 or 2

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
14 Jul 09

irr. (ap.) ext
irr. app. (ext.)

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
14 Jul 09

Interesting idea! It might dethrone the atonalists! Attila would know!
Imagine the atmosphere on the second floor of the Tuileries as the musicians while away the time at chess waiting for the king to arrive. Philidor plays 2...d6.