1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 May '09 17:371 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Maybe it's just that Bono is such a twat.
    From Zooropa onwards, yes.

I did quite like their stuff up until the Joshua Tree.

Edit -- The Edge is also a twat. Takes you a while to realise it, but there it is.
  2. Pepperland
    Moves
    14 May '09 17:45
    The beach boys anyone?
  3. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 May '09 19:05
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    The beach boys anyone?
    Some good stuff but did not build upon their early initiative.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    18 May '09 19:43
    Yeah, the Beach Boys made some decent stuff, but I wouldn't say they are particularly influential.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 May '09 21:41
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    From Zooropa onwards, yes.

I did quite like their stuff up until the Joshua Tree.

Edit -- The Edge is also a twat. Takes you a while to realise it, but there it is.
    i know , the edge, the edge of flippin what, the table, a cliff, i wish!
  6. Germany
    Moves
    19 May '09 17:53
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i know , the edge, the edge of flippin what, the table, a cliff, i wish!
    I LOL'ed.
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    19 May '09 18:171 edit
    Yeah, the Beach Boys made some decent stuff, but I wouldn't say they are particularly influential.
    They are one of my biggest influences, personally. Besides the Beatles, they are probably THE prototype for the artistic pop band. Their arrangements and crafted melodies are second to none.

You don't hear a lot of the Beach Boys influence in today's popular music but you can hear it all over so-called Indie Rock (Fleet Foxes or Animal Collective, for example).
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    19 May '09 18:25
    Originally posted by uzless
    Damn straight. You take any song by MGMT, say Kids for example, and then play Kraftwerk's "She's a model" right after.

Virtually no differnece other than the track layering technology advances over 30 years.
    Pffpppht! That's hilarious. I agree with your sentiment but certainly not your statement. You always seem to exaggerate with your comparisons but that's okay...

But yes, Kraftwerk - extremely influential. In rock? Maybe not so much, however there is no doubt that they were the greatest influence on electrnoic music and greatly influenced hip-hop in the early 80s as well.
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    19 May '09 18:29
    Punk Rock - The Clash
    The Clash were greatly influenced by the Ramones themselves. White Riot, their first single, could have been a Ramones song.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    19 May '09 18:551 edit
    Originally posted by darvlay
    They are one of my biggest influences, personally. Besides the Beatles, they are probably THE prototype for the artistic pop band. Their arrangements and crafted melodies are second to none.

You don't hear a lot of the Beach Boys influence in today's popular music but you can hear it all over so-called Indie Rock (Fleet Foxes or Animal Collective, for example).
    Well, the Beatles are boring, and so are most indie rock bands - especially those formed after Oasis killed the genre in 1995.

The Beatles are THE prototype for a generic pop band.

The Velvet Underground are THE prototype for an artistic pop band.
  11. Germany
    Moves
    19 May '09 18:59
    Pffpppht! That's hilarious. I agree with your sentiment but certainly not your statement. You always seem to exaggerate with your comparisons but that's okay...

But yes, Kraftwerk - extremely influential. In rock? Maybe not so much, however there is no doubt that they were the greatest influence on electrnoic music and greatly influenced hip-hop in the early 80s as well.
    The greatest influence on electronic music? Nah, not greater than, say, Edgard Varèse or Karlheinz Stockhausen.

Still very influential, of course. And great music to boot, you just gotta love Trans-Europe Express!
  12. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    19 May '09 19:22
    The Clash were greatly influenced by the Ramones themselves. White Riot, their first single, could have been a Ramones song.
    I was looking at "influential" to mean influencing rock TODAY. For sure, the ramones may have influenced the Clash, but imo, the Clash influence the Punk Rock genre of today more so than the ramones do. Two great bands though.
  13. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    19 May '09 19:271 edit
    The greatest influence on electronic music? Nah, not greater than, say, Edgard Varèse or Karlheinz Stockhausen.
    I would definitely say so, yes. Varese and Stockhausen were certainly pioneers but let's not confuse pioneering with influence as it is easy to do.
  14. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    19 May '09 19:28
    I was looking at "influential" to mean influencing rock TODAY. For sure, the ramones may have influenced the Clash, but imo, the Clash influence the Punk Rock genre of today more so than the ramones do. Two great bands though.
    Those two bands would certainly be 1-2 in that category.
  15. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    19 May '09 19:30

You are a musician. I am not. Where I tend to simplify song comparsions, as a musician you seem to see those simplifications as exaggerations. To me, KIDS and She's a Model are almost identical. To you, they may indeed seem very different since your ear is better trained. However, I think i may speak for non-musicians when I say I don't hear much of a difference other than additional music tracks layered in.

As for Kraftwerk, I agree that they don't fit into the traditional ROCK definition and its why i added in my post on page 2 the following:

"* If you want to include bandslike Depeche Mode/MGMT/Prodigy etc as a sub genre of Rock, then hands down the oscar goes to Kraftwerk."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree