Five most influential rock musicians?

Five most influential rock musicians?

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K

Germany

Moves
22 May 09

Originally posted by generalissimo
its not the beatles' fault that other losers tried to copy them and failed e.g Oasis, that obviously based their whole carrear on the song "rain".
That's true I guess, I sure loathe Oasis a lot more than the Beatles.

F

Moves
22 May 09

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
That's true I guess, I sure loathe Oasis a lot more than the Beatles.
Try watching the episode of the BBC's "Seven Ages Of Rock" where Noel Gallagher talks about the rivalry between Oasis and Blur. What a small minded man Mr Gallagher is - regardless of how much money he made. Textbook plonker.

g

Pepperland

Moves
22 May 09

Originally posted by FMF
Try watching the episode of the BBC's "Seven Ages Of Rock" where Noel Gallagher talks about the rivalry between Oasis and Blur. What a small minded man Mr Gallagher is - regardless of how much money he made. Textbook plonker.
gallagher is a pr**k.

and Oasis is just an overrated bad cover band of the beatles.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
23 May 09

This thread should be full of blues names.

Almost everything after that has been copy pasting with an attitude.

F

Moves
23 May 09

Originally posted by Seitse
This thread should be full of blues names.

Almost everything after that has been copy pasting with an attitude.
But isn't this just boiling musicology down until it's a powder and then snorting it?

g

Pepperland

Moves
23 May 09

Originally posted by FMF
But isn't this just boiling musicology down until it's a powder and then snorting it?
without the blues there wouldn't have been rock'n'roll.

I think he has a point.

rc

Moves
23 May 09
1 edit

gallagher is a pr**k.

and Oasis is just an overrated bad cover band of the beatles.
i cannot actually believe that i am agreeing with FMF, i need to feel my wifes bum just to make sure im feeling alright.

g

Pepperland

Moves
23 May 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
i cannot actually believe that i am agreeing with FMF, i need to feel my wifes bum just to make sure im feeling alright.
Sometimes it scares me too.

K

Germany

Moves
23 May 09

I think he has a point.
Yes, that is true, but when pondering which were the most influential rock musicians one should only consider actual rock musicians, otherwise it would be a rather pointless exercise.

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
23 May 09
1 edit

Chuck Berry
Bob Dylan
Robert Johnson
Elvis
Muddy Waters

Without blues cats

Chuck Berry
Bob Dylan
Elvis
Little Richard
Jerry Lee Lewis

F

Moves
23 May 09
1 edit

I think he has a point.
Yes, and as ever, you didn't get my point.

I was conceding his rather "arch" point, and commenting on that. Did you not get my point?

g

Pepperland

Moves
23 May 09

Originally posted by FMF

I was conceding his rather "arch" point, and commenting on that. Did you not get my point?
I get your point.

z

Moves
23 May 09

Originally posted by FMF

Not understanding (apparently) the point, FMF, is actually one of your characteristics.

If we are now talking about Rock, how about Jefferson Airpalne and After Bathing at Baxter's? Beats the Grateful Dead.

F

Moves
24 May 09

Originally posted by znsho
If we are now talking about Rock, how about Jefferson Airpalne and After Bathing at Baxter's? Beats the Grateful Dead.
The Grateful Dead lasted for 30 years and spawned/inspired hundreds, maybe thousands, of jambands in the USA and around the world - the hugely successful and culturally iconic Phish being just one of them. Jerry Garcia is probably one of the ten must culturally influential Americans of the last 200 years - although I wouldn't put him in the top 5 influential musicians.

On the other hand, Jefferson Airplane - a band whose music I love, and to which I have returned again and again over the last 30 years - were relatively a 'flash in the pan' and I can scarcely think of a single band that were influenced by them. Big Brother and The Holding Company were peers, and most other West Coast anthemic bands that were Airplane-like came and went during a short era, and had little impact.

What this all means is that both Jefferson Airplane and the Grateful Dead have the venerable distinction of being groundbreaking, largely inimitable and iconic, but with the benefit of musicological hindsight, we can easily see that Jefferson Airplane did not have the same impact or influence on the music of the last 40 years that the Grateful Dead did.

Having said that, neither Jefferson Airplane nor the Grateful Dead belong in the Top Five. Probably not the Top Ten either, despite my own private, passionate predilections!

K

Germany

Moves
24 May 09
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
The Grateful Dead lasted for 30 years and spawned/inspired hundreds, maybe thousands, of jambands in the USA and around the world - the hugely successful and culturally iconic Phish being just one of them. Jerry Garcia is probably one of the ten must culturally influential Americans of the last 200 years - although I wouldn't put him in the top 5 influent Top Five. Probably not the Top Ten either, despite my own private, passionate predilections!
Jefferson Airplane were hugely influential in the whole psychedelic scene and everything that it spawned; from heavy metal (I have a Jefferson Airplane cover by a doom metal band) to psychedelic folk to krautrock to modern electronic music. I would say they are more influential than the Grateful Dead, whose influence has been limited to folk and jam bands.