Moves
    11 May '09 17:43
    Originally posted by uzless
    neil young
    Hmm, maybe... Why Neil Young?
  4. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    11 May '09 17:491 edit
    You're asking for musicians. Does this exclude songwriting?
  5. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 May '09 17:49
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Hmm, maybe... Why Neil Young?
    Bcause he keeps going and stays true to his ideals.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    11 May '09 17:50
    Originally posted by badmoon
    You're asking for musicians. Does this exclude songwriting?
    No.
  7. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 May '09 17:54
    I'd say (in no particular order):

- Chuck Berry
    - John Cale
    - Brian Eno
    - Michael Gira
    - Frank Zappa

Any thoughts?
    It all depends. The 'influential rock musicians' were themselves influenced. Often, it is not an individual, but a group. So, if you ask me:

The Beatles and the Rolling Stones
    The Great Society
    The Doors
    Fairport Convention
    Pink Floyd
  8. Standard memberStTito
    The Mullverine
    Little Beirut
    Moves
    11 May '09 19:141 edit
    You really cannot talk about Rock without at least hitting on some blues artist like Robert Johnson(obviously), Skip James, John lee hooker, Muddy Waters. Some folkies like Guthrie. Some R&B like Ray Charles or James Brown. And even some Jazz Like Coltrane or Miles Davis. All of these musicians were well established icons before rock was an infant and you could not have rock without them. So my five would be:

R Johnson
    JL Hooker
    Guthrie
    Ray Charles
    Miles
  9. Standard memberrking00
    Suicide Bishop
    Moves
    11 May '09 19:14
    I'd say (in no particular order):

- Chuck Berry
    - John Cale
    - Brian Eno
    - Michael Gira
    - Frank Zappa

Any thoughts?
    M. Gira seems a bit too obscure to be widely influential. What about Lou Reed, Bo Diddley, or Can?
  10. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    11 May '09 19:36
    Originally posted by StTito
    You really cannot talk about Rock without at least hitting on some blues artist like Robert Johnson(obviously), Skip James, John lee hooker, Muddy Waters. Some folkies like Guthrie. Some R&B like Ray Charles or James Brown. And even some Jazz Like Coltrane or Miles Davis. All of these musicians were well established icons before rock was an infant and you cou ...[text shortened]... ave rock without them. So my five would be:

R Johnson
    JL Hooker
    Guthrie
    Ray Charles
    Miles
    You can't talk about blues without booze, so maybe we should put Jack Daniel (of Jack Daniel's Tennessee whiskey fame) on the list. 😛

I think it's only fair to include rock musicians in a list of the most influential rock musicians. There are some definite borderline cases where an artist is associated with several different genres, but as long as they played rock at some point they should be eligible. If they didn't, they ain't.

My list:

Chuck Berry
    Little Richard
    Bill Haley
    Elvis Presley
    The Beatles
  11. Standard memberStTito
    The Mullverine
    Little Beirut
    Moves
    11 May '09 19:58
    Originally posted by PBE6
    You can't talk about blues without booze, so maybe we should put Jack Daniel (of Jack Daniel's Tennessee whiskey fame) on the list. 😛

I think it's only fair to include rock musicians in a list of the most influential [b]rock musicians
    . There are some definite borderline cases where an artist is associated with several different genres, but as long as t ...[text shortened]... .

My list:

Chuck Berry
    Little Richard
    Bill Haley
    Elvis Presley
    The Beatles[/b]
    What year is it? When did rock become so narrowly defined? I am just putting up the idea that rock would not be alive if not for the genres of the past. And a big hellsyeah for rock continuing to go back to it's former roots and not so obvious roots to continue the sound.
  12. Germany
    Moves
    11 May '09 20:121 edit
    Originally posted by rking00
    M. Gira seems a bit too obscure to be widely influential. What about Lou Reed, Bo Diddley, or Can?
    A bit obscure, perhaps, but only a few thousand people bought "The Velvet Underground & Nico" when it was released. Maybe he won't be so obscure in a decade or so, when more people realize the genius of SWANS. The list of genres inspired or (co-)created by SWANS is quite impressive: industrial (rock and metal), gothic rock, neofolk, post-rock, grindcore, ...

As for Lou Reed, I don't think so. You just have to compare the quality of the first two records of the VU to the last two to realize the decisive creative impact of John Cale. After the VU's collapse, Lou Reed made some decent singer-songwriter stuff (and that godawful Metal Machine Music), while John Cale's work was much more interesting. Also, Cale produced the debut records of the Stooges and the Modern Lovers, helping define punk rock. (though perhaps just mentioning the Velvet Underground as a whole would be better - after all, Moe Tucker's drumming style was influential as well)

As for Bo Diddley and Can - yeah, they are up there as well. Tago Mago is really a brilliant masterpiece. Though I should really check out more of Bo Diddley.
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    11 May '09 20:16
    The list of genres inspired or (co-)created by SWANS is quite impressive: industrial (rock and metal), gothic rock, neofolk, post-rock, grindcore, ...
    lulz
  14. Germany
    Moves
    11 May '09 20:23
    Originally posted by Palynka
    lulz
    Hmm?
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    11 May '09 20:27
    Hmm?
    Remove everything except grindcore and you might have a point. For all the rest, several bands preceded the Swans and were much more influential than them. If anything, the influence of the Swans is pretty marginal in those genres.

But the hyperbole in your statement already shows you're a blinkered fan, so I don't expect you to come to terms with reality.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree