Most underrated movie ever

Most underrated movie ever

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
25 Mar 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Starrman
Alas not, but if it comes highly recommended I'll give it a look.
It's a great film, although I wouldn't call it a masterpiece. Its genius is in that it can give you some of the most epic and grandiose scenery you'll ever see and all of it is real.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
25 Mar 10

Alas not, but if it comes highly recommended I'll give it a look.
If possible, Bluray and on a big screen with a kick-ass sound system. The sound track isn't overly varied, but it really deserves a rump-rumbling bass to get the whole effect.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
26 Mar 10

Erasurehead

Richard Linkleaters films

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
26 Mar 10

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Erasurehead

Richard Linkleaters films
So underrated fans can't even spell them correctly. 😲

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
26 Mar 10
1 edit

"The Room" - Tommy Wiseau (acting, directing, writing...you name it!)

Of course, this movie is properly underrated because it's a complete example of how NOT to make a movie. However, the lulz value is off the charts! 😵

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
26 Mar 10

Originally posted by Palynka
So underrated fans can't even spell them correctly. 😲
Actually, I think he's referring to the only synth-pop sex tape ever produced:

http://www.erasureinfo.com/gallery/tours/erasureshow/images/bridget_erasure-and-bits-118.jpg

silicon valley

Moves
26 Mar 10

Crime Spree, with Harvey Keitel.

Moves
26 Mar 10

Truly Madly Deeply?
TMD is a cringing embarrassment of a movie, made before Hollywood figured out what a Brit flick was really supposed to be like e.g. Four Weddings (except of course for the revolting Andie MacDowell who no British guy would go for anyway and totally spoils the whole film).

Moves
26 Mar 10

Originally posted by FMF
Do RHPers have cherished movies that didn't rock the box office or they feel the movies are not known widely enough?
The Hunt for Red October - pure tabloid hokum but I love it every time.

"Once more, we play our dangerous game, a game of chess against our old adversary, the American Navy. For forty years, your fathers before you and your older brothers played this game and played it well. But today the game is different. We have the advantage (e4). We will pass through the American patrols, past their sonar nets, and lay off their largest city, and listen to their rock and roll... while we conduct missile drills. It reminds me of the heady days of Sputnik and Yuri Gagarin when the world trembled at the sound of our rockets. Now they will tremble again - at the sound of our silence. The order is: engage the silent drive."

Moves
27 Mar 10

Hated the Hunt for Red October. Pan in close and the actors magically start speaking English. If that isn't cinematic crap then I don't know what is.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Mar 10

Then there was 'Silent Running', Bruce Dern. It foresaw R2D2, had one of the most beautiful soundtracks I ever heard (Joan Baez) And I think was the inspiration for the Joni Mitchell song 'Big Yellow Taxi' ( Took all the trees, put em in a tree museum, charged the people a dollar and a half just to see em, don't it always seem to go, you don't know what you've got till it's gone, paved paradise, put up a parking lot).

DSJ

Lawrence, Ks

Moves
27 Mar 10

Ang Lee's "Ride with the Devil"

T

Moves
29 Mar 10

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
In terms of being atypical, I found The Deep End (Scott McGehee David Siegel) just a really well done film that received too little attention.
The Deep End is indeed a very decent film. Also worth mentioning that it's a remake of another very underrated film, Max Ophuls' 1949 film noir The Reckless Moment, a small masterpiece which has a reputation among film critics and buffs but not among the general public. Ophuls' version lacks the gay angle, as you'd expect from its date, but it's gripping, very well-acted, beautifully directed, and a truly extraordinary study of the restrictiveness of the conventional nuclear family.

F

Moves
30 Mar 10

Originally posted by sonhouse
Then there was 'Silent Running', Bruce Dern.
Belongs in a 2'fer pack with John Carpenter's 1974 film "Dark Star".

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
30 Mar 10

Originally posted by Teinosuke
The Deep End is indeed a very decent film. Also worth mentioning that it's a remake of another very underrated film, Max Ophuls' 1949 film noir The Reckless Moment, a small masterpiece which has a reputation among film critics and buffs but not among the general public. Ophuls' version lacks the gay angle, as you'd expect from its date, but it's gripping, ...[text shortened]... and a truly extraordinary study of the restrictiveness of the conventional nuclear family.
Thanks for the tip. I'll look for it this week.