Dude, that is 80s gold!

😵
  2. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 16:241 edit
    Originally posted by darvlay

The Ex-Models have three albums which are all radically different from each other and NONE OF THEM sound like Nine Inch Nails or any song that they/he have ever written or remixed. How anyone can make that comparison in such a sweeping fashion is beyond stupidity.

I'll make a list for any RHP'ers who want to compare for themselves...if they are so inclined. If y'all say i'm on crack, then i'll shut up.

I'm only talking individual song comparisons here....NOT one band vs another band.
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 16:241 edit
    Maybe the link was wrong... here we go again:

YouTube
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 16:25
    Originally posted by uzless
    I'll make a list for any RHP'ers who want to compare for themselves...if they are so inclined. If y'all say i'm on crack, then i'll shut up.
    A list of what?
  5. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 16:44
    A list of what?
    a list of songs that sound similar...not bands that sound similar, just songs.

I will start with the NIN song I was comparing to a song by the ex-models.

As an example,

"Numb" by U2 vs "Paper Planes" by MIA
  6. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 18:593 edits

And by the way, Zombie Girl is TERRIBLE.
    Different tastes in music.

Zombie Girl's 3 songs that I listed have been floor killers at some of the clubs here in Toronto. (Savage Garden/Velvet Underground)

To say that "Bleeder" is a terrible song is NOT something I can agree to.

You gotta hear that song played on a 100K sound system. WoW
  7. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 19:04

And by the way, Zombie Girl is TERRIBLE.
    Next thing you know you'll be telling me WCFM (Silicon Modulation Mix) by Sheep on Drugs is a bad song too!😵
  8. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    08 Mar '08 00:26
    I have some catching up to do. I'm not aware of any of those bands. I'm not the youngest cock in the hen house but that doesn't mean i shouldn't try.
  9. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 11:35
    How did we get thhis far in to a discussion of post-rock without someone bringing up the incomparable Mogwai?

The label of the genre is indeed irksome, but many of the bands so labelled (or that could be) are still on heavy rotation round my way.

People have mentioned Tortoise - I'd say the album Millions Now Living Will Never Die, and in particular Djed, is their best - and to those who waxed about their live performances, I can only agree. TNT was a great album, too.

Then there's Stereolab, who have had an incredible output (and associated bands like Broadcast).

In a similar vein, I have recently become somewhat obsessed with the band Mum - friends with Sigur Ros. Check out their recent 'Go go smear the poison ivy', as it is their most accessible.

I'll get my anorack now, eh..?
  10. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 12:11
    Oh, and I hope anyone with an interest in post-rock/math-rock has a copy of Battles 'Mirrored'. Excellent stuff.
  11. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 14:12
    Originally posted by DrKF
    Oh, and I hope anyone with an interest in post-rock/math-rock has a copy of Battles 'Mirrored'. Excellent stuff.
    i haven't been able to get into that so far , after a couple of attempts. might give it another try someday.

Mogwai are wonderful, especially Like Herod and Mogwai Fear Satan, but then there's Hunted by a Freak, R U Still In 2 It and so on and on. Government Commissions is a good live set done for a couple of Peel sessions.
  12. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 18:34

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 23:24
    Yeah, Government Commissions is great - and a good introduction to their stuff, as John Peel championed them from the start. I thought it a nice touch that they made the first sound on the album John Peel introducing them in a live session. Happy Songs for Happy People might be my favourite album, by any band.

Slightly more electronica - and I bring it up because someone mentioned Toronto above, I think - are the excellent 'Holy F-word' (that's not their name - they use the expletive, but I had my last posting bounced back, even though I replaced the u with * !). Awful, awful name, but they make an excellent noise - drummer, bassist and several synth players...
  14. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 09:22
    do Kinski count as post rock? (not counting their latest album, which obviously isn't). long instrumental songs with a lot of dynmic range.
  15. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 13:391 edit
    Originally posted by DrKF
    Slightly more electronica - and I bring it up because someone mentioned Toronto above, I think - are the excellent 'Holy F-word' (that's not their name - they use the expletive, but I had my last posting bounced back, even though I replaced the u with * !). Awful, awful name, but they make an excellent noise - drummer, bassist and several synth players...
    Excellent live show and not that bad a name. 😉

Check out Shout Out Out Out from Edmonton as well. Saw the two play a show together in the summer. Beddy good.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree