The curse of Rap

The curse of Rap

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

g

Pepperland

Moves
24 Aug 09

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Well, Mudvayne is crap, but there are some very good metal bands, you just have to be willing to look for them. But since you are a Beatles fan I presume you only like generic, accessible music.
I don't know what you mean by "generic, accessible music", please describe.

btw, I don't listen to the beatles 24/7, I like many other bands just as much, led zeppelin, cream, the who, just a few examples.

d

Moves
24 Aug 09

Originally posted by generalissimo
I don't know what you mean by "generic, accessible music", please describe..
Maybe he thinks it's fabricated crap with artifical sound.

d

Moves
24 Aug 09

If all else fails, try consulting your dictionary.

g

Pepperland

Moves
25 Aug 09

Originally posted by darvlay
Maybe he thinks it's fabricated crap with artifical sound.
as opposed to metal?

d

Moves
25 Aug 09

as opposed to metal?
Or __________?

(Who gives a damn, really? It's all subjective.)

K

Germany

Moves
25 Aug 09

btw, I don't listen to the beatles 24/7, I like many other bands just as much, led zeppelin, cream, the who, just a few examples.
Wow, those are really very different from the Beatles.

g

Pepperland

Moves
25 Aug 09

Wow, those are really very different from the Beatles.
sarcasm?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
25 Aug 09

Originally posted by buckky
I really want to get off this planet just to get away from the dirt dum Rap music nightmare. To many cars rattleing apart at the seams playing stupid Rap music. Rap is a sign of society falling apart. Worthless racket is all is it. It is not music. I don't know what it is, but it sucks the big one..
If you've never known the frustration and rage of being a young man with physical and mental strength but being raised in poverty, psychologically messed up by the filth, financial stress, violence, theft, backstabbing golddigging women who break your heart, knowing the dominant society enslaved your direct ancestors...having no family support, or very little (maybe you can sleep there for a few days when you're homeless, but then you get kicked out - they can't afford to feed you, and they need the space for another relative on hard times who has a job)...nobody teaching you proper job or social skills...having to watch your back...having someone in your family dead from a drive by...probably no father...

The rage and frustration comes out in the music. The music also brings money to the rapper, money to "take their Moms out the hood" (Dr. Dre, Still DRE...and The Man wants to censor you so the spoiled rich kids don't have to be exposed to your rage (even if they want to be), can be insulated from poverty, while denying you one proven outlet for insulating YOURSELF and your family from the same...you probably have PTSD, it's more common in the inner city than in Iraq for children to get it...school was a joke, scary and dangerous, filthy and chaotic with uncredentialed teachers and not enough supplies (and your Mom couldn't buy you school supplies, she's selling her body to pay the bills, she doesn't have any skills, neither do you...except rap)...

For the rest of you, enjoy the following (turn the volume down, it's kinda loud). This guy is a good rapper too, not at all the stereotype:

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
25 Aug 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Ringwraith
Personally, I don't think much of rap. In fact, it seems characterised by poor English (by poor I mean highly incorrect) and crude hand gestures, as well as innapropriate lyrics (not all the time, most of the time). I must admit, the genre does have one or two songs which are amusing, but it mostly repulses me. Gone are the days of great artists such as V ...[text shortened]... ety has fallen.
That however is my opinion, and all people are entitled to their own opinions.
Gone are the days of rich kids being musicians for wealthy audiences, and the day the poor are highly successful in music, raising themselves out of poverty is here.

Welcome to America.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
25 Aug 09
1 edit

K

Germany

Moves
25 Aug 09

sarcasm?
Yes - if you only listen to 60s classic rock bands, you are clearly not very interested in music - even though I like Cream and The Who.

d

Moves
25 Aug 09

Originally posted by shiloh
I get pretty sick of it, how it's assumed that we all have to continue to pretend that it's music, otherwise we're a bigot or something.

Well, most of it I hear is just garbage, period.

Now the same is true of pop music generally. But I can say "Nickleback sucks," and that's fine, but if I say some rapper sucks, that's not fine because I'm white.

What a load of crap.
LOL.

This might be the best post I've seen here in months.

"But I can say "Nickleback sucks," and that's fine, but if I say some rapper sucks, that's not fine because I'm white. "

Seriously, whereabouts in the world are you and were you personally accused of being a bigot by someone when you told them you didn't like some particular artist?

M

Moves
25 Aug 09
1 edit

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
If you've never known the frustration and rage of being a young man with physical and mental strength but being raised in poverty, psychologically messed up by the filth, financial stress, violence, theft, backstabbing golddigging women who break your heart, knowing the dominant society enslaved your direct ancestors...having no family support, or ver rapper too, not at all the stereotype:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W9kcxdPPjk
Most of the popular rap music I hear doesn't address these things very much. Instead, you get a lot of sex and a lot of cliches. The good rap seems to be buried in cyberspace where almost no one will ever hear it.

Rap music needs delve much more deeply into all this pain and frustration - and do so in a way that is artistically fresh and compelling. Raw rage may be cathartic, but it's bad art -- whether it's rap, rage rock, or someone burning their drum set.

And then, this good rap music needs to become popular enough to allow the artist to make a living at it -- otherwise, they'll all find day jobs and their talents will be wasted.

But as bad as much rap is, it's the only genre that hasn't degenerated into bland grocery-store music. It's the one genre that provokes people to declare "that's not music" -- the same things that used to be said about rock music.

w

Moves
26 Aug 09
2 edits

Originally posted by buckky
I really want to get off this planet just to get away from the dirt dum Rap music nightmare. To many cars rattleing apart at the seams playing stupid Rap music. Rap is a sign of society falling apart. Worthless racket is all is it. It is not music. I don't know what it is, but it sucks the big one..
My man Buckky,
He simply ain't funky,
He gotta have it his way,
So he tellsm to hit the freeway,

Now if you excuuuuse me,
I gotta run,
No, no, not for fun,
Bucky is his name,
and he gonna don't like my game,

His boys in the hood,
They take me out if they could,
So I gotta run, gotta run
No not for fun, not for fun
Yea, Bucky is his name and he don't like my game!!

Yea, I hate wrap too.

g

Pepperland

Moves
26 Aug 09

Yes - if you only listen to 60s classic rock bands, you are clearly not very interested in music - even though I like Cream and The Who.
so in order to be "interested in music" (according to you) I have to listen to lets say, the killers?

you're not making any sense.