The curse of Rap

The curse of Rap

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b
Filthy sinner

Outskirts of bliss

Moves
26 Aug 09

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Gone are the days of rich kids being musicians for wealthy audiences, and the day the poor are highly successful in music, raising themselves out of poverty is here.

Welcome to America.
Gone are the day's of being able to play an instrument or actually sing. The Rap thing is anti music. It's made for mindless idiots that love pop culture live, and look like thugs straight out of prison. Bring back the rich kid's that produced decent music. I'm kidding about the rich kid thing, but who cares what social class goes into the music industry. Rich or poor makes no difference to me. The caliber of the music is what matters, and the caliber of Rap is nowhere man.

K

Germany

Moves
26 Aug 09

Originally posted by buckky
Gone are the day's of being able to play an instrument or actually sing. The Rap thing is anti music. It's made for mindless idiots that love pop culture live, and look like thugs straight out of prison. Bring back the rich kid's that produced decent music. I'm kidding about the rich kid thing, but who cares what social class goes into the music industry. Ric ...[text shortened]... ence to me. The caliber of the music is what matters, and the caliber of Rap is nowhere man.
Do you even know what an instrument is?

b
Filthy sinner

Outskirts of bliss

Moves
26 Aug 09

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
I think it's something that a dentist will use to clean your teeth.

g

Pepperland

Moves
26 Aug 09

do you?

d

Moves
26 Aug 09

Poll: Would you consider an AKAI MPC2000 to be an instrument?

g

Pepperland

Moves
26 Aug 09

Originally posted by darvlay
Poll: Would you consider an AKAI MPC2000 to be an instrument?
not really.

d

Moves
26 Aug 09
1 edit

Originally posted by generalissimo
not really.
And how come?

Would you consider a synthesizer or drum machine to be an instrument?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
26 Aug 09
2 edits

Originally posted by Melanerpes
Most of the popular rap music I hear doesn't address these things very much. Instead, you get a lot of sex and a lot of cliches. The good rap seems to be buried in cyberspace where almost no one will ever hear it.

Rap music needs delve much more deeply into all this pain and frustration - and do so in a way that is artistically fresh and compelling. Ra o declare "that's not music" -- the same things that used to be said about rock music.
Lately I haven't seen anything of depth coming out, but try these:

Gangsta's Paradise by Coolio
White America by Eminem
Ghetto Bastard by Naughty By Nature
April 26, 1992 by Sublime
Lose Yourself by Eminem

These were all chart-toppers in their day I believe, and all have intellectual and emotional depth. There are others out there; I've seen this conversation before and other rappers were recommended that I hadn't heard of.

EDIT - The one that was recommended most that I haven't heard was Juicy by Notorious B.I.G. Supposedly it's the kind of song any average Joe can relate to.

There is also rap that isn't so unpleasant, and is also very popular:

Summertime by Will Smith
Homies by Lighter Shade of Brown
Homies by Insane Clown Posse
On a Sunday Afternoon by Lighter Shade of Brown
Miami by Will Smith

Eminem and Will Smith seem to have a lot of good rap that isn't all about bitches and hos, though the former is perfectly comfortable talking about them.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
26 Aug 09

Originally posted by buckky
Gone are the day's of being able to play an instrument or actually sing. The Rap thing is anti music. It's made for mindless idiots that love pop culture live, and look like thugs straight out of prison. Bring back the rich kid's that produced decent music. I'm kidding about the rich kid thing, but who cares what social class goes into the music industry. Ric ...[text shortened]... ence to me. The caliber of the music is what matters, and the caliber of Rap is nowhere man.
Maybe we should invest more money into music lessons for inner city children then.

I think you're ignorant of a lot of rap. You sound like anyone who dismisses a group because of stereotypes.

g

Pepperland

Moves
26 Aug 09

And how come?

because it doesn't require much skill, and it falls into the category of artificial crap.

no, and I especially oppose drum machines because they're just trying to copy what real drums sound like.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
26 Aug 09

LOL.

This might be the best post I've seen here in months.

"But I can say "Nickleback sucks," and that's fine, but if I say some rapper sucks, that's not fine because I'm white. "

Seriously, whereabouts in the world are you and were you personally accused of being a bigot by someone when you told them you didn't like some particular artist?
Drake sucks as far as I can tell, though his music does make me laugh, it's so obnoxiously sexist (and he pulls it off with not a bitch or ho to be be heard, I think). He's a black rapper. I'm white.

K

Germany

Moves
26 Aug 09

because it doesn't require much skill, and it falls into the category of artificial crap.

[b]Would you consider a synthesizer or drum machine to be an instrument?

no, and I especially oppose drum machines because they're just trying to copy what real drums sound like.[/b]
A drum machine has a distinctive sound - plenty of artists purposely use a drum machine in place of a real drummer even when they have plenty of money to hire a session and live drummer (e.g. Sisters of Mercy).

d

Moves
26 Aug 09
3 edits

[b]Would you consider a synthesizer or drum machine to be an instrument?

no, and I especially oppose drum machines because they're just trying to copy what real drums sound like.[/b]
"it doesn't require much skill"

A guitar doesn't require much skill to play chords on either yet they are considered instruments. Skill is irrelevant when it comes to defining what an instrument is. Besides, I bet you could play a simple I-IV-V progression on an acoustic guitar but if I put a sampler in front of you, you'd be lost and not know where to begin.

"falls into the category of artificial crap"

You told me that artificial crap means shallow and tasteless. That's not any kind of meaningful or logical criteria for defining what an instrument is. It's only a personal bias and an subjective commentary.

"no, and I especially oppose drum machines because they're just trying to copy what real drums sound like."

Okay, opposing it for the sound it produces is one thing (personal bias) but that does not preclude it from being a musical instrument. A "real drum" is just a membrane that vibrates. A cymbal is just a piece of metal you hit with a stick. They create sounds, nothing more, nothing less. I don't like the sound of a crappy snare drum but I love the sound of an analog hand clap. This is nothing more than personal feeling. I certainly wouldn't claim that the snare drum wasn't an instrument because of my personal tastes.

Why you don't consider a synthesizer to be a musical instrument you failed to explain. If you want to expand further into your reasoning I would love to hear it.

Furthermore, how would you define an instrument then? Sounds to me like you consider only instruments that you find pleasing to be considered "instruments" as opposed to something which is something used to CREATE SOUND and hence create music.

You asked Kazet if he knew what an instrument was but clearly you have no idea what makes an instrument an instrument and are making up your own personal criteria for something that has been established and uncontended by real musicians for decades. I think you should really consider the possiblity that you are either ignorant or are letting your personal biases affect the way you think.

I'm curious to know what background you have in music, if you play an instrument or have studied any theory.

d

Moves
26 Aug 09

A drum machine has a distinctive sound - plenty of artists purposely use a drum machine in place of a real drummer even when they have plenty of money to hire a session and live drummer (e.g. Sisters of Mercy).
Absolutely. Even certain drum machines have distinctive sounds over other drum machines - the TR series from Roland, for example, is a highly sought after sound which sounds nothing like an acoustic drum set nor does it attempt to.

d

Moves
26 Aug 09

Another question, is an electric guitar considered artifical crap? After all, it only produces an electrict current...