1. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    07 Oct '08 07:401 edit
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    [b]A question for epiph + rb... would you consider yourselves, culture-wise, representatives of the majority of Americans?

Why do you insist on generalizations?[/b]
    Because you two seem to be educated people who like to read other than airport bestselling pamphlets. A minority, like in many other countries.

I am trying to make a simple point: The Swedish guy didn't insult the U.S. He simply said that U.S. literature is not what it used to be and it is because its circling around its own bellybutton.

Can we concentrate on this instead of the soap opera elements of the news?
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Oct '08 07:57
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Because you two seem to be educated people who like to read other than airport bestselling pamphlets. A minority, like in many other countries.

I am trying to make a simple point: The Swedish guy didn't insult the U.S. He simply said that U.S. literature is not what it used to be and it is because its circling around its own bellybutton.

Can we concentrate on this instead of the soap opera elements of the news?
    Potential Nobel prize winners are a minority within any country. Actually, many cultural movements arise from ideological clashes against the "establishment" (and the majority who condone/tolerate it).
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    07 Oct '08 08:02
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Potential Nobel prize winners are a minority within any country. Actually, many cultural movements arise from ideological clashes against the "establishment" (and the majority who condone/tolerate it).
    Agreed.

Now let's go back: Do you think the U.S. is too insular to produce Nobel level literature?
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    07 Oct '08 08:11
    Agreed.

Now let's go back: Do you think the U.S. is too insular to produce Nobel level literature?
    Well, no. Another candidate would be Kim Stanley Robinson -- the antithesis of insular.
  5. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    07 Oct '08 08:15
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Well, no. Another candidate would be Kim Stanley Robinson -- the antithesis of insular.
    Is he shortlisted?

Sorry, I don't know the guy. Is it sci-fi? I delcare myself ignorant about all that smells like sci-fi. I ran from it as if it was an AIDS infested prostitute.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Oct '08 08:191 edit
    Agreed.

No. I think that mainstream commercial stuff and good innovating, quality things have existed in the US for quite some time.

Also, it's not the education rankings that tell you how likely it is for a Nobel winner to come from that country. A quick look on the winners of the last 20 or so years should make it apparent.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    07 Oct '08 08:22
    Is he shortlisted?

Sorry, I don't know the guy. Is it sci-fi? I delcare myself ignorant about all that smells like sci-fi. I ran from it as if it was an AIDS infested prostitute.
    I doubt it.

Yes, it's sci-fi, insofar as that marketing term has any meaning anymore. Any work of fiction that incorporates science, technology or theory of some kind is science fiction, so in a sense anything worth reading about today is science fiction.
  8. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    07 Oct '08 08:222 edits
    No. I think that mainstream commercial and good innovating, quality things have existed in the US for quite some time.

Also, it's not the education rankings that tell you how likely it is for a Nobel winner to come from that country. A quick look on the winners of the last 20 or so years should make it apparent.
    Agreed. But... then I didn't explain myself well: I provided education rankings not to show the likelihood of a Nobel, but to show some misconceptions of the American mainstream ("we have the best schools in the world", as if this would be a guarantee of great, nobel level writers), which quite demonstrates they're too concentrated in their bellybutton and don't turn and realize there is a world from where they can nurture themselves.
  9. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    07 Oct '08 08:23
    anything worth reading about today is science fiction.
    This is a daring statement.

Please elaborate.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Oct '08 08:25
    Any work of fiction that incorporates science, technology or theory of some kind is science fiction, so in a sense anything worth reading about today is science fiction.
    Now there's an interesting thought. Rec'd.
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 Oct '08 08:28
    Is he shortlisted?

All that means is that you're as insular as mainstream USA literature.

Richard
  12. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    07 Oct '08 08:30
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    All that means is that you're as insular as mainstream USA literature.

Richard
    Non sequitur, Richard.

A taste in genres does not equate insular.
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    07 Oct '08 08:34
    This is a daring statement.

Please elaborate.
    Any writer attempting to get to grips with modern (ir)reality has to deal with the technologies, hard and soft, that define the possibilities of human existence today -- science fiction by default.

(A novel about a tennis player would be science fiction).

The only other operative genre currently is fantasy -- John Grisham being a prime example.
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Oct '08 08:351 edit
    Agreed. But... then I didn't explain myself well: I provided education rankings not to show the likelihood of a Nobel, but to show some misconceptions of the American mainstream ("we have the best schools in the world", as if this would be a guarantee of great, nobel level writers), which quite demonstrates they're too concentrated in their bellybutton and don't turn and realize there is a world from where they can nurture themselves.
    But this only goes to show that the mainstream is insular. What about the rest?
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    07 Oct '08 08:36
    But this only proves that the mainstream is insular. What about the rest?
    Is Dennis Cooper insular, I wonder.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree