U.S. writers too insular, ignorant

U.S. writers too insular, ignorant

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
07 Oct 08
4 edits

Originally posted by Seitse
Non sequitur, Richard.

A taste in genres does not equate insular.
That in itself does not, no. But this:

I ran from it as if it was an AIDS infested prostitute.

does.

Richard

Moves
07 Oct 08

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
I don't know, is he? I've only read one book, 'Baltasar & Blimunda', which I enjoyed very much. I didn't realise he was a Nobel Laureate until I browsed the Montreal webzine that Seitse put up in the Hipster Handbook thread ...
That's one of the few Saramago books that I haven't read! I've enjoyed most of his others.

I think 'Blindness' and 'The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis' are his masterpieces (the latter got me interested in the writings of the poet Fernando Pessoa, who's ghost is one of the main characters in the novel).

Also very enjoyable are 'All the Names' and 'The Double'.

I was intrigued by the 'The Gospel According to Jesus Christ', although I imegine a lot of Christians would be offended by it!

Vampyroteuthis

Infernalis

Moves
07 Oct 08

Oryx & Crake, for Atwood. Lavinia, for Le Guin.
My wife read 'Oryx & Crake' and really enjoyed it. I think we still have a copy laying around somewhere. I really enjoyed 'Waiting for the Barbarians' by Coetzee, but that's all I've read by him.

d

Moves
07 Oct 08

Oryx & Crake, for Atwood. Lavinia, for Le Guin.
Also the well-known 'The Handmaid's Tale', a similar dystopian novel.

Once you read the novel you can go see the adapted Opera (!).

dsR

Big D

Moves
07 Oct 08

Rb, I apologize for surprising you.

I am not agreeing with the fact that a member of the committee makes such a statement publicly.

I agree on the fact that, besides DeLillo and a couple others ([b]just a couple
), the U.S. is not producing literary monsters like it used to.

I agree on the fact that the U.S. is so concentrated on its own bellybutt ...[text shortened]... rope is writing about the universal issues of human existence... what is the U.S. writing about?[/b]
Americans must be writing about something. According to Arielle Eckstut and David Henry Sterry, in their book, "Putting Your Passion Into Print," the United States publishes approximately 150,000 books each year; best sellers represent less than 5% of Barnes & Noble's total sales.

Regarding your critique of "readers like me," I think you might be quite surprised by my library; perusing the shelves, I can count numerous volumes on chess, cooking, conservative thought, Taekwondo, art, architecture, fashion, pop culture (comics and film), three different translations of the Bible, the complete works of Orwell, Mencken, William F. Buckley, the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, etc.

dsR

Big D

Moves
07 Oct 08

This is about literature, but perhaps this demonstrates how concentrated in themselves some Americans are:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/11/26/world/main530872.shtml

It is a misconception that the U.S. education system kicks ass. All the following countries' education systems are ranked ahead of the U.S.

1. South Korea
2. Japan
3. Finland ([b ...[text shortened]... b... would you consider yourselves, culture-wise, representatives of the majority of Americans?
This surely relates to our primary public school system, which is abysmal because the unions have ruined them. When it comes to post primary education, the United States is the clearly the best:

http://www.arwu.org/rank/2005/ARWU2005_Top100.htm

dsR

Big D

Moves
07 Oct 08

Maybe this thread could be turned to focus on American writers, if there are any Americans here interested in talking about American writers ...
I'm a published writer (non-fiction) and I can tell you, contemporary fiction just doesn't do it for me -- give me the classics any day.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
07 Oct 08
2 edits

LUV LUV LUV 🙂

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
08 Oct 08

[b]STOCKHOLM, Sweden - Bad news for American writers hoping for a Nobel Prize next week: The top member of the award jury believes the United States is too insular and ignorant to compete with Europe when it comes to great writing.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26960322/

I invite you to read the whole story.

I concur with Mr. Engdahl.[/b]
Yeah... Sweden well known for its great writers such as... uh... yeah...

John Irving.
Stephen King (you may think he's trash, but he can spin a yarn).
Joseph Heller.
Joseph Wambaugh.
Leon Uris.
Mark Twain.

Nope. I think the US has some fine writers. And calling Irving or Uris insular and ignorant is rather pathetic.

Bloody Swedes. They should stick to making DOGMA films I don't watch.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
08 Oct 08

Originally posted by shavixmir
Yeah... Sweden well known for its great writers such as... uh... yeah...
August Strindberg's the best Swedish writer I know of. I think you'd like his work.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
08 Oct 08

Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
I'm a published writer (non-fiction) and I can tell you, contemporary fiction just doesn't do it for me -- give me the classics any day.
What have you published?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
08 Oct 08

Originally posted by darvlay
Also the well-known 'The Handmaid's Tale', a similar dystopian novel.

Once you read the novel you can go see the adapted Opera (!).
I heard about that opera!

Atwood's best stuff, for my money, is her short and short short stories.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
08 Oct 08

Originally posted by David Tebb
That's one of the few Saramago books that I haven't read! I've enjoyed most of his others.

I think 'Blindness' and 'The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis' are his masterpieces (the latter got me interested in the writings of the poet Fernando Pessoa, who's ghost is one of the main characters in the novel).

Also very enjoyable are 'All the Names' a ...[text shortened]... to Jesus Christ', although I imegine a lot of Christians would be offended by it!
The Pessoa connection is an added incentive to read more Saramago (comparisons to Borges are obligatory nowadays so don't do much to persuade).

You might also enjoy the Uruguayan writer Onetti and the Spaniard Goytisolo.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
08 Oct 08

Now that you seem to be into Latin American jewels of literature, let me recommend:

Jorge Ibargüengoitia - Two Crimes

and, once again, the best Mexican writer ever IMO...

Juan Rulfo

The source from which, even if they don't accept it, the "Latin American Boom" writers nurtured their prose.

dsR

Big D

Moves
08 Oct 08

What have you published?
Nine books.