Barrister Hits Out Over Sexist Comment (article)

Barrister Hits Out Over Sexist Comment (article)

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
12 Sep 15

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
do you understand what linkedin is?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LinkedIn

you use it, as a professional, to find work. you use it, as a business, to find employees. it's not a dating site. commenting on the appearance of a professional there would be just as inappropriate as doing it on the street. or to your plumber, dentist, son's teacher, lawyer, ...[text shortened]... someone young to google it in case you have no clue what that is because you live in the 60's).
Yes linkedin is a business site. It does not require a photo, however, and people who post a photo do so because they believe it will help their business in some way. That seems bore out by the stats I mentioned.

I think Ms. Proudman should have left it at:

"Alex, I find your message offensive. I am on linked-in for business purposes
not to be approached about my physical appearance."

The rest is self-righteous, unnecessarily hostile and a bit disingenuous given that it was she who made available her physical appearance on linkedin in the first place.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 Sep 15

Originally posted by no1marauder
Yes linkedin is a business site. It does not require a photo, however, and people who post a photo do so because they believe it will help their business in some way. That seems bore out by the stats I mentioned.

not to be app ...[text shortened]... given that it was she who made available her physical appearance on linkedin in the first place.
Maybe he had visted too many dating websites and his mind was in the wrong place.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
12 Sep 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
Maybe he had visted too many dating websites and his mind was in the wrong place.
I'm sure he meant it as a compliment but it was inappropriate on linkedin.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
12 Sep 15

The post that was quoted here has been removed
The problem is obviously that calling someone beautiful isn't sexist...

Misplaced, considering the medium, perhaps, but sexist it ain't.

Z

Moves
12 Sep 15

not to be app ...[text shortened]... given that it was she who made available her physical appearance on linkedin in the first place.
nowadays, it is polite to provide a photo with every CV.

did she provide a photo of her in bikini while drinking margaritas at the pool? or was it a regular id photo

No Name Maddox

County Doledrum

Moves
12 Sep 15
1 edit

Based on the storylines that have appeared subsequently, it seems that Charlotte Goodman has a history of over-reacting on social media, and not a particularly consistent one. As has been said, Carter-Silk behaved foolishly and compounded his error by refusing to offer a proper apology, and Goodman ruined her credibility by linking the issue with the broader one of violence against women.

Personally I think the entire case demonstrated the peculiar way the ruling class use social media, and that it only became an issue for discussion when it was transplanted by Goodman to twitter, where a broader cross-section of the general public promptly had to be reminded exactly what linkedin was, and an explanation provided as to why sharing amusing pictures of kittens and comments about personal appearance was inappropriate there.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
12 Sep 15
3 edits

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
nowadays, it is polite to provide a photo with every CV.

did she provide a photo of her in bikini while drinking margaritas at the pool? or was it a regular id photo
I don't know what the photo looked like and don't care. Ms. Proudman provided a photo knowing that it would enhance the chances of here being responded to on linkedin and then complained about being "objectified". That IMO is inconsistent for the reasons given and her response beyond what I have quoted was an overreaction.

EDIT: FYI here's the photo (unless it has been changed). She's not in a bikini but it's hardly a typical business pose either.https://www.linkedin.com/pub/charlotte-proudman/73/386/113

EDIT2: Maybe that's not her; it's a bit unclear.

Z

Moves
12 Sep 15

I don't know what the photo looked like and don't care. Ms. Proudman provided a photo knowing that it would enhance the chances of here being responded to on linkedin and then complained about being "objectified". That IMO is inconsistent for the reasons given and her response beyond what I have quoted was an overreaction.

EDIT: FYI here's the photo ( ...[text shortened]... nkedin.com/pub/charlotte-proudman/73/386/113

how do you measure overreaction? from whose perspective? in what context?

you and me, as males who don't get compliments on our appearance on a site intended for finding work, might not be that fit to say "you are overreacting".

D

Moves
12 Sep 15

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 Sep 15
1 edit

The post that was quoted here has been removed
What would make it so hard for a woman to refrain from having a hissy fit just because she received a compliment on her appearance?

I could understand it more if it was a derogatory comment like those given to Rosie O'Donnell by Donald Trump.

Why couldn't she just say, "Thank you" and move on?

D

Moves
12 Sep 15
1 edit

D

Moves
12 Sep 15
2 edits

D

Moves
12 Sep 15
2 edits

D

Moves
12 Sep 15

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
12 Sep 15

EDIT: FYI here's the photo ( ...[text shortened]... nkedin.com/pub/charlotte-proudman/73/386/113

No that's not her at all. Someone different.