1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 May '17 17:33
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And you know this how? All I see is a reaction that is simultaneous with the crowd. I don't see any evidence that he is reacting to the crowd and not something that happened 11 seconds ago. We have only your word on that.
    As for other videos, the lag would be different for different links, just as the lag is different on different phone calls. As has alr ...[text shortened]... ceable lag at all.

And worst of all, what did you think it proves? Why would they fake a lag?
    And you know this how?
    I watched the video, took your suggestion and timed the conversation.

I don't see any evidence that he is reacting to the crowd and not something that happened 11 seconds ago. We have only your word on that.
    No, twhitehead, you do not “only have your (my) word on that,” you have the video which you and anyone else can readily watch and do the very thing you suggested: see if there is anything he could have been reacting to, eleven seconds--- or any seconds--- after the fact.

As for other videos, the lag would be different for different links, just as the lag is different on different phone calls. As has already been explained to you, there is no actual technical reason why there must be noticeable lag at all.
    As has been explained to you, in these three examples, two state there is a lag, while the third acts as though none exists at all.
    In the first example, the male astronot blows it miserably even while attempting to act as though one exists--- he can’t tell if he’s coming or going.
    In the second, very short example, she stays in character the entire time.
    In the third example, there isn’t a second of lag during a duet.

And worst of all, what did you think it proves? Why would they fake a lag?
    The underlying, more problematic question: why ever fake anything?
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 May '17 20:106 edits
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]And you know this how?
    I watched the video, took your suggestion and timed the conversation.

I don't see any evidence that he is reacting to the crowd and not something that happened 11 seconds ago. We have only your word on that.
    No, twhitehead, you do not “only have your (my) word on that,” you have the video which you and anyone else ...[text shortened]... they fake a lag?[/b]
    The underlying, more problematic question: why ever fake anything?[/b]
    As for the duet, you don't think it within the realm of possibility that the musicians on Earth simply "played along" with the astronaut? Wouldn't make a difference if there was an 11 hour delay no less 11 seconds or 1.1 seconds or 0.11 seconds - or even if they ended up using a recording of the astronaut.
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    03 May '17 20:19
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    As for the duet, you don't think of it within the realm of possibility that the musicians on Earth simply "played along" with the astronaut? Wouldn't make a difference if there was an 11 hour delay no less 11 seconds or 1.1 seconds or 0.11 seconds - or even if they ended up making multiple takes using a recording of the astronaut.
    The delay for the gig was a few milliseconds. The delay for the "live" linkup was longer because they were demonstrating a particular technology.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 May '17 20:271 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    The delay for the gig was a few milliseconds. The delay for the "live" linkup was longer because they were demonstrating a particular technology.
    As I pointed out, wouldn't matter.

YouTube
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 May '17 20:47
    As I pointed out, wouldn't matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCX1xUdMsNs
    And yet they acted as though they were in a real-time conversation, complete with small talk and etc..
    If that was all a production, why?
    Was a duet with a chorale that much of a science-promoting thing?
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 May '17 21:161 edit
    And yet they acted as though they were in a real-time conversation, complete with small talk and etc..
    Was a duet with a chorale that much of a science-promoting thing?

I imagine it would be for "entertainment value". It flows better that way.

Just as I imagine the following was for "entertainment value":
    YouTube

Or do you think that wasn't a pre-arranged "bit"?
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 May '17 21:36
    [b]If that was all a production, why?

I imagine it would be for "entertainment value". It flows better that way.

Just as I imagine the following was for "entertainment value":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXxV7sf46UU

Or do you think that wasn't a pre-arranged "bit"?[/b]
    So your contention is that the astronot's portion of the entertainment piece was pre-recorded--- including the artifice of small talk and etc.--- strictly to create a seamless duet?
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 May '17 21:451 edit
    So your contention is that the astronot's portion of the entertainment piece was pre-recorded--- including the artifice of small talk and etc.--- strictly to create a seamless duet?
    I'm saying that it would have been really easy to do whether with a delay or even pre-recorded and wouldn't have been all that out of the ordinary for TV.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 May '17 22:081 edit
    I'm saying that it would have been really easy to do whether with a delay or even pre-recorded and wouldn't have been all that out of the ordinary for TV.
    Although this guy says the only way possible is with a recording...

https://www.wired.com/2013/02/a-duet-from-space/

All other announcements by CBC, NASA or etc., claim it was a live recording...
    which is impossible.

Or this from BNL:
    Hello Jesus.

Ed Robertson from Barenaked Ladies here. I'm an avid Giz reader. I think you guys should cover this really cool project I just did with Chris Hadfield. We wrote a song together, and then he recorded his parts ON THE ISS!!! He played along with a demo I'd made for him, and then we played Live in Toronto along with his performance from the ISS. It was all quite magical. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to drop me a line.

Cheers
    Ed
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 May '17 22:21
    And even if they did record it earlier (Hadfield from ISS) playing it back and calling the second half the "live" part, there was no concession on anyone's part that 'this' portion is pre-recorded and 'that' portion is not...
    instead, both parts were played as though in tandem... for what purpose again?
    To make every critical thinking person realize it's impossible, and for those who don't think in terms of reality, look at our magic?
    That's promoting science?

Additionally, it doesn't come close to responding to the issues on the first part of the video wherein one of the idiots can't remember to act as though there is a lag--- because there isn't one when it's all a sham in the first place.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 May '17 22:302 edits
    Although this guy says the only way possible is with a recording...

https://www.wired.com/2013/02/a-duet-from-space/

All other announcements by CBC, NASA or etc., claim it was a live recording...
    which is impossible.
    I'd read that article. Perhaps the key was this:
    " If this produced a 1 second communications delay, could they still do the duet? I’m not really a musician, but it seems like this would be a big problem. If Chris Hadfield started 1 second early, then he could be right in sync...with the Barenaked Ladies. That might be difficult to keep up for the whole duet."

The author isn't visualizing the situation correctly.

Even if there were a 1 second delay, it wouldn't have been a big deal for the musicians on Earth to "play along" with the a/v feed of the astronaut. Insofar as they're concerned, the feed they're playing along with IS "live" and wouldn't be any different from the astronaut being in the room with them for the purposes of taping the video. Of course the same couldn't be said for the astronaut.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 May '17 22:491 edit
    And even if they did record it earlier (Hadfield from ISS) playing it back and calling the second half the "live" part, there was no concession on anyone's part that 'this' portion is pre-recorded and 'that' portion is not...
    To make every critical thinking person realize it's ...[text shortened]... act as though there is a lag--- because there isn't one when it's all a sham in the first place.

As I pointed out, it was done for "entertainment".

To make every critical thinking person realize it's impossible, and for those who don't think in terms of reality, look at our magic?

You seem to be confusing "critical thinking person" with "conspiracy theory nutjob". They belong to entirely different subsets of the human population.
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 May '17 23:11
    [b]And even if they did record it earlier (Hadfield from ISS) playing it back and calling the second half the "live" part, there was no concession on anyone's part that 'this' portion is pre-recorded and 'that' portion is not...

As I pointed out, it was done for "entert ...[text shortened]... h "conspiracy theory nutjob". They belong to entirely different subsets of the human population.[/b]
    There's no confusion.
    The author of the article doesn't think they faked anything; he's still saying what they presented isn't possible.

A one second delay would have made the entire exchange impossible.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 May '17 23:20
    There's no confusion.
    The author of the article doesn't think they faked anything; he's still saying what they presented isn't possible.

A one second delay would have made the entire exchange impossible.
    Read my post prior to the one you responded to.

The author of the article doesn't seem to understand the situation.

It wouldn't have made it impossible.
  15. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    03 May '17 23:40
    I'd read that article. Perhaps the key was this:
    " If this produced a 1 second communications delay, could they still do the duet? I’m not really a musician, but it seems like this would be a big problem. If Chris Hadfield started 1 second early, then he could be right in sync...with the Barenaked Ladies. That might be difficult to keep up for the whole ...[text shortened]... hem for the purposes of taping the video. Of course the same couldn't be said for the astronaut.
    1) There was no reason for a delay longer than a few milliseconds.

2) Freaky doesn't care about that, provided you agree something was fake his Patriot Movement game wins. You're giving inches and he's taking miles.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree