1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    02 May '17 13:46
    YouTube

Posted this one in an earlier thread, but no one was able to explain how the delay between Houston and the ISS is supposed to work.
    Clearly, no one told the astronots on board how it's supposed to work, as they generally got it wrong.
    In the first example, the moron on the right is reacting in real time with the audience 'back on the ground,' whereas in later examples, the astronot is actually singing a duet in real time with another singer--- and chorale!

Things that make you go...
    WTF
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 May '17 17:381 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Posted this one in an earlier thread, but no one was able to explain how the delay between Houston and the ISS is supposed to work.

WTF
    What seems to be the problem? Why do you expect a delay? I Skype people all over the world without too much trouble (Philippines, US, UK, India). A ping to a US server is about 150 milliseconds. You might get a slight echo, but that's about it.

Next you will be telling us the Earth isn't just flat, its only two miles wide.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    02 May '17 18:23
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What seems to be the problem? Why do you expect a delay? I Skype people all over the world without too much trouble (Philippines, US, UK, India). A ping to a US server is about 150 milliseconds. You might get a slight echo, but that's about it.

Next you will be telling us the Earth isn't just flat, its only two miles wide.
    Why would you ask a question which is clearly answered by the video?
    They tell you from the onset there will be about an eleven second delay between transmission and them hearing it.
    They try to keep up with the charade, but the idiot on the right loses it in all the excitement at the second exchange, responding/reacting in real time.
    They just can't keep it straight.
    It gets worse as the video goes on, to the point where all delay is eliminated, and they can sing stupid duets together... you know: for the emotional appeal of space.
    🙄
  4. Germany
    Moves
    02 May '17 18:26
    Had a bit of a giggle over "astronots."
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    02 May '17 19:09
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Had a bit of a giggle over "astronots."
    Speaking the hard truths.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 May '17 21:041 edit
    Because I didn't watch the video.

They tell you from the onset there will be about an eleven second delay between transmission and them hearing it.
    Who tells you?

And before I watch it, can you also post a link to the original undoctored version?
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    02 May '17 21:56
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Because I didn't watch the video.

[b]They tell you from the onset there will be about an eleven second delay between transmission and them hearing it.

Who tells you?

And before I watch it, can you also post a link to the original undoctored version?[/b]
    Here's the one with the painful duet.

YouTube

Here's the idiot Fischer fail:

YouTube

But really: since you don't watch videos, what difference does it make anyway?
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    02 May '17 23:49
    They try to keep up with the charade, but the idiot on the right loses it in all the excitement at the second exchange, responding/reacting in real time.
    They just can't ke ...[text shortened]... ted, and they can sing stupid duets together... you know: for the emotional appeal of space.
    🙄
    ISS has an altitude of 400 km, light takes 1.3 milliseconds to travel that distance. The distance to the hemicentre (point directly below) will be more important to the travel time for most signals. Try doing the arithmetic before embarrassing yourself next time.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    02 May '17 23:511 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    ISS has an altitude of 400 km, light takes 1.3 milliseconds to travel that distance. The distance to the hemicentre (point directly below) will be more important to the travel time for most signals. Try doing the arithmetic before embarrassing yourself next time.
    Instead of wasting time and effort, apply your sterling logic to the problem NASA created for itself.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    02 May '17 23:591 edit
    Instead of wasting time and effort, apply your sterling logic to the problem NASA created for itself.
    What problem? The radio transmission has a trivial signal delay. The 11 seconds is something to do with internet video streaming.
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    03 May '17 00:075 edits
    [youtube]M2qwvAivfGM[/youtube]

Clearly, no one told the astronots on board how it's supposed to work, as they generally got it wrong.
    In the first example, the moron on the right is reacting in real time with the audience ...[text shortened]... ging a duet in real time with another singer--- and chorale!

WTF
    Could someone explain why radio transmissions between two points, one on the Earth's surface and one in nearby space should take noticeably more time than between two points that far apart on the surface?

I can understand some reasons to build in a delay, such as being able to monitor the transmission to avoid transmitting something that is not authorized like what's her name blurting out "It's all a hoax!"
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 May '17 00:35
    What problem? The radio transmission has a trivial signal delay. The 11 seconds is something to do with internet video streaming.
    Well, let's do the math.
    If there is an eleven second delay, how did numbnuts hear the audience and respond accordingly?
    How did those two guitar-strumming fools sync up for a duet?
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    03 May '17 01:12
    Well, let's do the math.
    If there is an eleven second delay, how did numbnuts hear the audience and respond accordingly?
    How did those two guitar-strumming fools sync up for a duet?
    Well, I didn't watch the whole of either video, but in the first one a link up with a minimal delay would have been necessary for them to play together, they'll have been constrained on what part of the orbit they could do the gig. In the second video they were demonstrating a particular technology and the additional delay was to do with the implementation of that technology. Possibly they had two links.
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 May '17 01:24
    Well, I didn't watch the whole of either video, but in the first one a link up with a minimal delay would have been necessary for them to play together, they'll have been constrained on what part of the orbit they could do the gig. In the second video they were demonstrating a particular technology and the additional delay was to do with the implementation of that technology. Possibly they had two links.
    Good God.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 May '17 01:372 edits
    The first video was made in 2013 while Freaky's OP tried to make it seem like the events happened together.YouTube

As far as I can tell, the second video is from an NAB conference in Las Vegas. The delay seems to have virtually nothing to do with the time it takes a signal to go from Earth to the ISS (which is negligible) and a lot to do with the time it took to stream the technology from Vegas through the Houston Space Center to the ISS and back.

EDIT: Maybe one of you techies can understand this:

The 4K HEVC compressed stream was sent in UDP through the ISS network to the Johnson Space Center in Houston. Ironically, the stream was then sent via geostationary satellite to a download truck on site at the Las Vegas Convention Centre, where it was shown on 4K projectors.

Elemental Live encoders then provided adaptive bitrate HLS streams to two separate instances of cloud servers, which were distributed using the Amazon CloudFront content delivery network.

http://informitv.com/2017/04/26/live-4k-relay-from-space-to-nab-show/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree