1. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    03 May '17 03:21
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The first video was made in 2013 while Freaky's OP tried to make it seem like the events happened together.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvAnfi8WpVE

As far as I can tell, the second video is from an NAB conference in Las Vegas. The delay seems to have virtually nothing to do with the time it takes a signal to go from Earth to the ISS (which is negli ...[text shortened]... ntent delivery network.

http://informitv.com/2017/04/26/live-4k-relay-from-space-to-nab-show/
    I looked it up on Wikipedia, 4K UHD is 3840 pixels × 2160 pixels Ultra High Definition. HEVC stands for High Efficiency Video Coding, in which the efficiency is to do with the level of compression and bit rate.

Your reference says that the signal went from ISS to the Johnson Space Centre, to the cloud, and then via geostationary satellite to a truck at Las Vegas. ISS is at 400 km, the Earth's radius is 6,300 km so the maximum distance from ISS to the Johnson Space Centre is of the order of 6,000 km. Geostationary orbit is at 35,000 km, so the signal had to travel about 76,000km, the speed of light is just under 300,000 km/s which gives a time of travel is about a quarter of a second. And a round trip time of half a second (the time from a question being asked and the questioner hearing the astronauts response). The actual video coding happens in real time, so most of the delay will have been to do with Amazon's servers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Video_Coding
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 May '17 05:31
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The first video was made in 2013 while Freaky's OP tried to make it seem like the events happened together.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvAnfi8WpVE

As far as I can tell, the second video is from an NAB conference in Las Vegas. The delay seems to have virtually nothing to do with the time it takes a signal to go from Earth to the ISS (which is negli ...[text shortened]... ntent delivery network.

http://informitv.com/2017/04/26/live-4k-relay-from-space-to-nab-show/
    So...
    the first segment had lag-no lag-lag?
    If there was an eleven second delay (so stated by them), how was it possible for Fischer to respond/react immediately--- even after acting as though he couldn't hear instantly?

Nothing in OP gave an impression these events happened together whatsoever.
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    03 May '17 05:47
    I know that live broadcasts in Britain have an 11 second delay.
    Nothing to do with tech problems, but a safety measure because the singer Morrissey said on live TV he hoped that Thatcher would die.

Or so I've heard...

Don't know what it's got to do with this little gem of stupidy the freak calls a thread, though.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 May '17 05:56
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I know that live broadcasts in Britain have an 11 second delay.
    Nothing to do with tech problems, but a safety measure because the singer Morrissey said on live TV he hoped that Thatcher would die.

Or so I've heard...

Don't know what it's got to do with this little gem of stupidy the freak calls a thread, though.
    If there's a delay of any kind, is it as elastic as these dorks show, or is it static, as one would assume?
  5. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    03 May '17 06:13
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    If there's a delay of any kind, is it as elastic as these dorks show, or is it static, as one would assume?
    I what's apped video chatted with friends in England last week and the delay was anywhere between a second and 20 seconds.

I phoned them regularly the next time we spoke... bloody annoying.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 May '17 12:13
    I what's apped video chatted with friends in England last week and the delay was anywhere between a second and 20 seconds.

I phoned them regularly the next time we spoke... bloody annoying.
    Still haven't answered the question.
    If there's a lag, how did those conversations take place as recorded?
  7. Germany
    Moves
    03 May '17 12:26
    Obviously they used wallhacks.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 May '17 12:49
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Obviously they used wallhacks.
    So you're basically clueless and a smart ass.
    Thanks for chiming in.
  9. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    03 May '17 13:11
    Perhaps they buffered the communication?

You know, save it up for 20 seconds, so that everything from then on doesn't lag.

I don't even know if that's possible. But I presume it is.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 May '17 13:40
    Here's the one with the painful duet.

[youtube]AvAnfi8WpVE[/youtube]

Here's the idiot Fischer fail:

[youtube]zEPCeXWQtyM[/youtube]

But really: since you don't watch videos, what difference does it make anyway?
    Now try playing two copies 11 seconds apart and see what he is really reacting to.
  11. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    03 May '17 13:55
    Perhaps they buffered the communication?

You know, save it up for 20 seconds, so that everything from then on doesn't lag.

I don't even know if that's possible. But I presume it is.
    Prior to the interview, its also possible that the astronauts got a copy of the questions they were going to be asked, so they could anticipate what was coming.

The fact that the male apparently smiled and made woo in sync with the folk on earth may have more to do with the fact that he was reacting to what was being said the way a teacher would who was out to prompt a class to respond a certain way. In the actual live event audience members who may have been primed to respond and woo to emphasis the point may just have triggered a little early.

If you think that concept strange, think of recording a sitcom in front of live studio audience and then reinforcing that applause and laughter with a laugh track later to better trigger your target audience so that they know when to laugh. Its all Pavlovian and nothing to do with space fakery but more to do with neuro linguistic programming.
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 May '17 16:16
    Originally posted by kmax87
    Prior to the interview, its also possible that the astronauts got a copy of the questions they were going to be asked, so they could anticipate what was coming.

The fact that the male apparently smiled and made woo in sync with the folk on earth may have more to do with the fact that he was reacting to what was being said the way a teacher would who was o ...[text shortened]... Pavlovian and nothing to do with space fakery but more to do with neuro linguistic programming.
    So...
    act as though there is a lag, then act as though there isn't a lag.
    Interesting suggestion.

Doesn't explain the real-time conversations and exchanges in all three examples... and certainly cannot explain singing a duet.
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 May '17 16:22
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Now try playing two copies 11 seconds apart and see what he is really reacting to.
    Yeah...
    No.

The host says his spiel, they wait (according to him) eleven seconds, she responds with their position, crowd reacts to her, he reacts at the same time.
    There was nothing else for him to react to, except what she is saying, and in agreement with the audience.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 May '17 16:34
    Yeah...
    No.

The host says his spiel, they wait (according to him) eleven seconds, she responds with their position, crowd reacts to her, he reacts at the same time.
    [b]There was nothing else for him to react to, except what she is saying, and in agreement with the audience.
    [/b]
    And you know this how? All I see is a reaction that is simultaneous with the crowd. I don't see any evidence that he is reacting to the crowd and not something that happened 11 seconds ago. We have only your word on that.
    As for other videos, the lag would be different for different links, just as the lag is different on different phone calls. As has already been explained to you, there is no actual technical reason why there must be noticeable lag at all.

And worst of all, what did you think it proves? Why would they fake a lag?
  15. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    03 May '17 17:16
    So...
    act as though there is a lag, then act as though there isn't a lag.
    Interesting suggestion.

Doesn't explain the real-time conversations and exchanges in all three examples... and certainly cannot explain singing a duet.
    The duet was done using a direct link with a signal lag in the milliseconds. There really isn't anything to explain.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree