1. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 09:27
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    The three most frequently cited “hard cases” in which some argue abortion might be justified are rape, incest and protecting the life of the mother. However, women rarely report that they are seeking an abortion for any of these reasons:

Rape: 0.3%

Incest: 0.03%

Protection of mother’s life: 0.2%

In other words, out of 1,000 women procu ...[text shortened]... ad more: Abortion Facts - Abortion Facts http://www.whyprolife.com/abortion-facts/#ixzz2AOV8qvBX
    by far the greatest reason for abortion is social convenience, sadly.
  2. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 09:38
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    agreed
  3. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 09:491 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Disagreed and disgusted at your choice of demeaning language, but not surprised, sadly.
  4. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 10:271 edit
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Disagreed and disgusted at your choice of demeaning language, but not surprised, sadly.
    Research indicates that 98% of all abortions are related to issues of “personal choice.”
    The primary reasons women give for having an abortion include not feeling emotionally capable (32% ) or financially capable (25% ) of raising a child, and concern that having a child would drastically alter her life (16% ).

Sources: Guttmacher Institute. 2008, July. Facts on Induced Abortion in the United States. http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_induced_abortion.html.Johnston, Wm. Robert. Reasons given for having abortions in the United States. http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/policy/abortion/abreasons.html.
  5. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 10:40
    Research indicates that 98% of all abortions are related to issues of “personal choice.”
    The primary reasons women give for having an abortion include not feeling emotionally capable (32% ) or financially capable (25% ) of raising a child, and concern that having a child would drastically alter her life (16% ).

Sources: Guttmacher Institute. 2008 ...[text shortened]... abortions in the United States. http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/policy/abortion/abreasons.html.
    So 'Social Convenience' does not quite tell the true story then, when 57% according to these studies cite Emotional or Financial incapacity as the reason for having the abortion.
  6. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 10:44
    So 'Social Convenience' does not quite tell the true story then, when 57% according to these studies cite Emotional or Financial incapacity as the reason for having the abortion.
    I think "fiancial" reasons would fall under 'Social Convenience' . One could even argue that for emotional reasons.
  7. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 11:05
    I think "fiancial" reasons would fall under 'Social Convenience' . One could even argue that for emotional reasons.
    of course you could argue anything, and there are many who would agree because they feel the same as you do on this issue, but to me and like minded people it is the usual emotive bullying language of the anti choice brigade.

The aim of which is to give the impression that the Woman has made a choice between a dishwasher and a baby, and the baby lost out.
  8. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 11:14
    of course you could argue anything, and there are many who would agree because they feel the same as you do on this issue, but to me and like minded people it is the usual emotive bullying language of the anti choice brigade.

The aim of which is to give the impression that the Woman has made a choice between a dishwasher and a baby, and the baby lost out.
    Anti choice brigade ?! Get real.

As far as an "aim to give an impression" thing goes, there is no need for people who are Pro-Life to do that.
    The proof is in the pudding. Look at the data.
  9. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 11:53
    Anti choice brigade ?! Get real.

As far as an "aim to give an impression" thing goes, there is no need for people who are Pro-Life to do that.
    The proof is in the pudding. Look at the data.
    You can BS each other and call your (capital punishment loving) selves pro life if you like, but you ain't fooling anyone who does not want to be fooled.

Because you cannot get the electoral mandate to force women to term, the next best solution is to guilt and shame them into not having an abortion.

That is the the reason for the emotive and demeaning language, the data is neutral at best and speaks of incapacity, the fact that you choose to interpret that as 'social convenience' is a testament to the sly machinations of the anti choice lobby.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 12:33
    Clearly, if an embryo deserves protection, this protection is independent of the circumstances which led to the pregnancy.
  11. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 12:57
    Originally posted by moon1969
    You come across as a moron in not recognizing that forcing a rape victim to give birth to her rapist child against her will is a war on women. No matter if your personal belief is that abortion is murder. Surely you have enough intelligence to understand that the rape victim can decide for herself if it is murder to take the morning after pill. After all ...[text shortened]... rape victim from taking the morning after pill and force her to give birth to the rapist child.
    Please read what I post before offering a retort. I clearly stated my disagreement with this guy in my post. From his point of view, what you are saying is not logically consistent. You are going to allow the murderer to decide if what they are doing is considered murder. From his point of view, killing a baby isn't going to undo the rape. From his point of view committing murder is worse than getting raped. Again, I don't agree with him, but to say he is WAGING WAR ON WOMEN is the very height of scare tactics.
  12. SubscriberKewpieonline
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 13:05
    Abortion isn't "killing a baby", it's "killing a collection of cells which could become a baby if a lot of other things go the way they should". Use of hysterical language to support pro-life arguments is far too common.
  13. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 13:20
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Abortion isn't "killing a baby", it's "killing a collection of cells which could become a baby if a lot of other things go the way they should". Use of hysterical language to support pro-life arguments is far too common.
    From your point of view, this is true. From his point of view it is murder. Yes, hysterical language is very common from both sides of this issue.
  14. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 14:02
    Originally posted by dryhump
    From your point of view, this is true. From his point of view it is murder. Yes, hysterical language is very common from both sides of this issue.
    Is it a point of view or is it a religious doctrine, because if it is the latter then surely his views do not come into it, you cannot compare the slavish adherence to dogma with an opinion based on experience and intellect.
  15. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    26 Oct '12 14:10
    You can BS each other and call your (capital punishment loving) selves pro life if you like, but you ain't fooling anyone who does not want to be fooled.

Because you cannot get the electoral mandate to force women to term, the next best solution is to guilt and shame them into not having an abortion.

That is the the reason for the emotive and demeanin ...[text shortened]... that as 'social convenience' is a testament to the sly machinations of the anti choice lobby.
    You can BS each other and call your (capital punishment loving) selves pro life if you like, but you ain't fooling anyone who does not want to be fooled.-kevcvs57

LOL. 'capital punishment loving selves' ?! What gives you the impression I love capital punishment ? You need to get more informed.
    As far as fooling anyone... look at the data.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree