1. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 01:22
    Do you think we should start talking about maybe stockpiling oil as fast as we can? Complicated stuff. Some here actually want to take a chance, cap all the wells, and freeze to death.? Low teens in TX tonite.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 01:331 edit
    https://www.energy.gov/eere/articles/wind-turbines-extreme-weather-solutions-hurricane-resiliency

http://kiefner.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Gas-Distribution-System-Integrity-Threats-Due-to-Cold-Weather.pdf
  3. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 02:48
    @averagejoe1 said
    Do you think we should start talking about maybe stockpiling oil as fast as we can? Complicated stuff. Some here actually want to take a chance, cap all the wells, and freeze to death.? Low teens in TX tonite.
    is this supposed to be sarcastic? or is that what conservative media is harping on?

the governor of TX's statement: "The ability of some companies that generate the power has been frozen. This includes the natural gas & coal generators.."

The natural gas pipes are frozen. The coal generators weren't prepared for the cold weather and did not winterize. You really think this was a green energy failure?
  4. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 05:24
    @averagejoe1 said
    That’s God punishing you right-wing bastards.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 07:341 edit
    H.saps survived colder winters than this for 800,000 years without oil. Have Texans gotten so feeble they can't deal with this?
  6. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 08:46
    @averagejoe1 said
    I bet the waves are still rolling in the ocean and the winds are still blowing off shore.
    No this is a fossil fuel failure.
  7. Joined
    13 Feb '21
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 09:01
    Frozen wind turbines seem to be on the news now.
  8. Joined
    13 Feb '21
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 09:06
    Didn't say anything about oil.
    I guess there is a wind turbine power grid that froze and failed so people had to go to some community center instead of freezing to death.
  9. Joined
    13 Feb '21
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 09:192 edits
    Also,

Green tech is pointless when the rest of the world is still polluting at a massive scale.
    The two countries that pollute the most are China and India (according to my professor)
    They won't stop.
    Also developing countries are just starting out so they will be polluting more and more.
    So north america going green but the rest of the world doesn't is like a fat chick ordering McDonald's and asks for a diet coke to go with the burger and fries.

It's pointless.
  10. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 09:49
    @phil-a-dork said
    Didn't say anything about oil.
    I guess there is a wind turbine power grid that froze and failed so people had to go to some community center instead of freezing to death.
    You’d be guessing wrong wind turbines are built to be conditional on weather, that’s why you have solar and wave strategies as well.
    Are you claiming that Texas is reliant on wind power because I’d need a link for that.
  11. Joined
    13 Feb '21
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 09:511 edit
    No they have all power sources.
    The Green tech is about 25%

All power sources failed because they didn't prepare for weather like that.

The Houston area that lost power was a wind turbine area that froze.
  12. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 09:531 edit
    @phil-a-dork said
    Also,

Green tech is pointless when the rest of the world is still polluting at a massive scale.
    The two countries that pollute the most are China and India (according to my professor)
    They won't stop.
    Also developing countries are just starting out so they will be polluting more and more.
    So north america going green but the rest of the world doesn't is like a fat ...[text shortened]... ick ordering McDonald's and asks for a diet coke to go with the burger and fries.

It's pointless.
    The rest of the world isn’t though is it. Have you seen the solar panel farms out in the deserts of Arabia, ironic almost. The world is moving on from fossil fuels wether you like it or not. The US can either get competitive in terms of green tech or bury it head in the oil soaked sand and get left behind.
  13. Joined
    13 Feb '21
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 09:541 edit
    What would you rather have?

An electric car that can't be charged because the power is out or a gasoline car that will get you where you need to go?

Or a house heated by Green tech that can fail or a tank of oil in your backyard heating your house?

I know what I have.
  14. Joined
    13 Feb '21
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 09:571 edit
    @kevcvs57 said
    The rest of the world isn’t though is it. Have you seen the solar panel farms out in the deserts of Arabia, ironic almost. The world is moving on from fossil fuels wether you like it or not. The US can either get competitive in terms of green tech or bury it head in the oil soaked sand and get left behind.
    I'm not saying green tech is wrong.
    I'm saying it won't prevent the pollution because most of the world still has factories pumping out pollution on a massive scale.
    More and more factories every day are starting up.
    (Covid slowed that but you get my point)
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 10:05
    @phil-a-dork said
    I'm not saying green tech is wrong.
    I'm saying it won't prevent the pollution because most of the world still has factories pumping out pollution on a massive scale.
    More and more factories every day are starting up.
    (Covid slowed that but you get my point)
    I'm not saying laws against murder are wrong.
    I'm saying they won't prevent murders because most murderers still murder.

I am not saying seatbelt laws are wrong.
    I am saying they won't prevent all car deaths because some hit their cars against objects really hard.

Let's have more fun with your logic. What other things aren't wrong to do but won't fix 100% of a problem.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree