1. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 15:231 edit
    @averagejoe1 said
    Actual debate? Is that what your post is? πŸ€” I'm almost missing Suzianne
    Nice try here, but very wrong on premise. We still don't have all the info on why Texans are experiencing more than a day without power in freezing temps, but most of it has to do with poor preparedness. They insist on an autonomous self-reliant power grid to maintain their "we should secede" deal or whatever.

Wind is inherently unreliable. We all know this. The photos of the frozen wind farms are a contributor, but you know what else shuts down wind farms? No wind!!! That happens all the time. The biggest distinguishing factor here, by far, appears to be the thermal power plants were shut down. Coal-fired power plants are failing! Why wasn't that the title of your dumb thread?
  2. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 15:28
    @phil-a-dork said
    No they have all power sources.
    The Green tech is about 25%

All power sources failed because they didn't prepare for weather like that.

The Houston area that lost power was a wind turbine area that froze.
    What does this Houston area do when the wind stops blowing?
  3. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 15:34
    @kevcvs57 said
    You are clearly deranged joe and that’s not an ad hominem it’s my genuine and sympathetic opinion.
    Ad Hominem: "An argument or reaction directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining"
    . Stay with me, Kevin. Maybe Suzianne can explain how you leveled an ad hominem attack against your Ole Foe Joe. Could you come back with a more coherent post than that one? Maybe take a walk after one of your classes?Whew.

That's not an ad hominem. What a trip, you fellers. Have you seen some of Zahlanzi's stuff today? Gonna be a Long day.
  4. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 15:54
    @averagejoe1 said
    Actual debate? Is that what your post is? πŸ€” I'm almost missing Suzianne
    “ Eliminating a polluting power source is absolutely correct but no one is saying turn off the oil or gas taps tomorrow. They are saying invest heavily in green technology because it will be abundant, cheap and clean as long as the sun is in the sky and we have weather patterns. Fossil fuels are deadly, dirty and short term.
    There is no intellectual argument for not phasing fossil fuels out and green energy in there is only corporate propaganda and the short term mindless greed of the market place coupled with the geopolitical needs of certain states.
    Shell and the other big energy companies are diverging into green energy whilst climate change deniers keep splashing about in crude comparisons regarding the macho fossil fuels and the effete renewable energies. They look more snd more ridiculous by the day.”
    Read it again Joe and for once in your posting life actually answer the post rather than rambling off into the sunset.
  5. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 16:25
    @kevcvs57 said
    “ Eliminating a polluting power source is absolutely correct but no one is saying turn off the oil or gas taps tomorrow. They are saying invest heavily in green technology because it will be abundant, cheap and clean as long as the sun is in the sky and we have weather patterns. Fossil fuels are deadly, dirty and short term.
    There is no intellectual argument for not phasin ...[text shortened]... and for once in your posting life actually answer the post rather than rambling off into the sunset.
    Im tied up, But I simply must point out your total avoidance of my ad hominem statement above. A good debater would say yeah you’ve got a point. I’ll come back around in a little while. Whew.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 17:011 edit
    @phil-a-dork said
    Also,

Green tech is pointless when the rest of the world is still polluting at a massive scale.
    The two countries that pollute the most are China and India (according to my professor)
    They won't stop.
    Also developing countries are just starting out so they will be polluting more and more.
    So north america going green but the rest of the world doesn't is like a fat ...[text shortened]... ick ordering McDonald's and asks for a diet coke to go with the burger and fries.

It's pointless.
    No, it isn't pointless. The fact that other countries are polluting the environment and exhausting finite resources is no reason why America should. If America wishes to regain the ascendency on the world-historical stage, it would be wise to develop renewable non-polluting energy technologies. Why?

a. Because there is no planet B.

b. Just imagine the indomitable position America would have if it sold or leased renewable non-polluting energy technologies to the rest of the world, especially to China and India.

c. If America doesn't, someone else will.

It's not what it is -- it becomes what we make it, and that's the point.

My regards to your professor.
  7. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 18:27
    @averagejoe1 said
    Im tied up, But I simply must point out your total avoidance of my ad hominem statement above. A good debater would say yeah you’ve got a point. I’ll come back around in a little while. Whew.
    You've never had a point......except the one at the top of your head.
  8. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 18:34
    @phil-a-dork said
    Frozen wind turbines seem to be on the news now.
    A new usercode created on Feb 13th.
    Even cats have only 9 lives.
    You just keep coming back ...... Patzering ....
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 18:38
    @averagejoe1 said
    " A house heated by a tank of oil in your back yard". Guess I'd rather have that, I have 11 children to keep warm. I would be guaranteed, thank God. You see, liberals don't want containers for oil anywhere in the universe. If one child on the planet dies, that is too many. They gamble with their children?? Brrrrrrr. A nice point, Phil, a good example depicting what makes Libs wet their beds and chew on their pillows. 😳
    Major fire hazard and it will ruin your land if it leaks out
  10. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 18:40
    @averagejoe1 said
    You do not explain your comment, when I ask you ask you simply to clear that up. Aren't you the one that said this could be fun? Why get upset personally with a person you do not even know . I'd already explained long ago my law partner also joined the forum(gone now) we think and write briefs exactly alike, you thought it was me, sorry about that.
    You have a law partner ???
    We are losing track of the many hats you wear in this forum.
    Just for clarification ........ does you emptying a waste basket in a lawyer's office after office hours make you a "law partner" ? πŸ˜›
  11. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 19:472 edits
    @AverageJoe1

You should be apologizing and retracting the premise of this whole thread. The power grid in Iowa is supported by 40% wind electricity. It's 30 degrees colder there than it is in Texas right now but they're doing just fine. How is it that green energy is the problem?
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 20:03
    @AverageJoe1
    You should know full well we don't depend on one energy source, we have wind, solar, wave, and coming on line in maybe 10 years, fusion energy.

If wind turbines freeze, that is a mechanical engineering problem to be solved, like lower temperature tolerant lube oil and such.

One problem for all renewables, energy storage since none of then are 24/7 so you need to generate 2 to 3 times what you would normally consume to have enough say when the sun goes down for solar or wind stops or waves calm down.

Also a big deal is energy transport, high wires to get the energy where it is needed.

The problem there is the major users of electricity are basically coastal cities, NYC, LA, New Orleans and the like.

But the energy for say solar, is best utilized in the desert but not much high wire infrastructure and the projections for that amount to near or exceeding one trillion dollars to make all those high tension wires and towers.
    But it will be done.

We have also hydrogen power for cars and maybe more, houses and industrial buildings.

Since H2 is either gas or liquid, it can be based on existing gas stations, similar technology to get H2 from the tank to a car or truck.

Is your motivation for showing a failure in Texas your way of saying save coal, fire those coal plants, burn oil for power and forget renewables?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 20:212 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 20:28
    @Duchess64
    The Chinese government has a business model. Give some developing nation a multi billion dollar infrastruction project, roads, bridges, energy, whatever, then that country is beholding to China which they take advantage of with the hope of just financially taking over some third world country just to suck off THEIR mineral resources.

So prove me wrong.

And OF COURSE you will start your latest scree,

'the flag waving American anti Chinese Sonhouse' etc.

Don't worry, I am used to your pejoratives.

They roll off my back like water off a duck.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Feb '21 20:352 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree