1. Germany
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 13:50
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    No one doesn't want to eat, we can only be thankful that control freaks such as yourself haven't taken on the role of removing our money by threat of force then dishing out set menus as per certified by the state.

You can't just fob it off so easily as "regardless of the reason", the reason is what it's all about and has been pointed out time and time agai ...[text shortened]... o choose their own priorities and set their own values, butt out of other peoples lives.
    Ah good, I can refute this one again for the... fifth? time.

There are many different types of food. Price elasticity of food is high, and there are many different producers. The free market works well (but ironically is distorted in practise because of electoral reasons).

There is only one type of health care. If you get cancer, you want to get better. No one cares if this is with treatment X or treatment Y. Price elasticity of health care services is extremely low (people will pay anything not to die), people generally don't understand anything about the product they are buying (so transparancy is also extremely low) and providers are few. The free market does not work very well for health care, government intervention of some sort is needed to ensure the efficiency of health care services.

You still don't understand the concept of the Prisoner's Dilemma. I once again urge you to read an economics book on this subject, it's not hard.
  2. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 13:58
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Ah good, I can refute this one again for the... fifth? time.

There are many different types of food. Price elasticity of food is high, and there are many different producers. The free market works well (but ironically is distorted in practise because of electoral reasons).

There is only one type of health care. If you get cancer, you want to get b ...[text shortened]... r's Dilemma. I once again urge you to read an economics book on this subject, it's not hard.
    Once again the PD get's knocked for a six, setting up criteria to give certain outcomes and thinking it proves something is almost as bad as sucking up all those gummint commissioned surveys and the stats they spit out proving, well what do you know, we need more gummint.

There are different types of health care and it is not for you or some gummint lackey to assign which type or how much I receive.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 14:07
    Once again the PD get's knocked for a six, setting up criteria to give certain outcomes and thinking it proves something is almost as bad as sucking up all those gummint commissioned surveys and the stats they spit out proving, well what do you know, we need more gummint.

There are different types of health care and it is not for you or some gummint lackey to assign which type or how much I receive.
    But it's just fine if your insurance company tells you how much and what kind of care you get?

There is not much wrong with the PD, it describes certain decision-making processes accurately, as you can also verify empirically. But you wouldn't believe it anyways, since the PD is not consistent with your dogmas, and you model the facts according to your dogmas instead of the other way around, like all extreme right wing fanatics. You are crushed by a hurricane of facts supporting mixed economies with high taxes, but you keep on struggling. Is it brave, or is it stupid? I can't tell.
  4. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 14:14
    But it's just fine if your insurance company tells you how much and what kind of care you get?

There is not much wrong with the PD, it describes certain decision-making processes accurately, as you can also verify empirically. But you wouldn't believe it anyways, since the PD is not consistent with your dogmas, and you model the facts according to yo ...[text shortened]... mies with high taxes, but you keep on struggling. Is it brave, or is it stupid? I can't tell.
    Ha ha "a hurricane of facts" the PD is a "hurricane of facts"?

I aren't modeling any facts it's you who uses 'models' whether they have any basis in reality is for you to diddle with.

The fact I state over and over is that this bag of bones, brains, sinews, guts belongs to me, the fact I state over and over is that you do not have a higher claim than I to this particular bag of bones.

If you do, please let us know why you think you 'own' me.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 14:21
    Ha ha "a hurricane of facts" the PD is a "hurricane of facts"?

I aren't modeling any facts it's you who uses 'models' whether they have any basis in reality is for you to diddle with.

The fact I state over and over is that this bag of bones, brains, sinews, guts belongs to me, the fact I state over and over is that you do not have a higher claim than I ...[text shortened]... particular bag of bones.

If you do, please let us know why you think you 'own' me.
    Okay, let me know when you have completely disconnected yourself from society. And then tell me how much you like it.

The "hurricane of facts" is things like HDI, HPI, social mobility, crime rates, labour productivity and general happiness.

And you still don't understand the Prisoner's Dilemma. Why are you so scared of knowledge and intellect?
  6. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 14:22

Nice point here though, the US insurance industry is as over regulated as health care.

....you're really catching on.
  7. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 14:28
    Okay, let me know when you have completely disconnected yourself from society. And then tell me how much you like it.

The "hurricane of facts" is things like HDI, HPI, social mobility, crime rates, labour productivity and general happiness.

And you still don't understand the Prisoner's Dilemma. Why are you so scared of knowledge and intellect?
    I deal with people who choose to deal with me. So no dis-connection, you're being puerile.

...and when we do get together and exchange value for value we generally say 'thank you' to each other.

You can shut up about the PD anytime you like because it is no reason for you deciding what, who and how regarding health care for me.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 14:32
    I deal with people who choose to deal with me. So no dis-connection, you're being puerile.

...and when we do get together and exchange value for value we generally say 'thank you' to each other.

You can shut up about the PD anytime you like because it is no reason for you deciding what, who and how regarding health care for me.
    Do you refuse to use roads and police or fire department services?
  9. Standard memberMacSwain
    Who is John Galt?
    Taggart Comet
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 15:09
    Hate to intrude on your private, tête-à-tête, but I do have a question after reading this:

"But it's just fine if your insurance company tells you how much and what kind of care you get?"

My question is: If you purchase insurance, don't you select how much and what kind you get, not the insurance company? Can't you purchase different levels of coverage, thus it's you telling you how much you get.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 15:11
    Originally posted by MacSwain
    Hate to intrude on your private, tête-à-tête, but I do have a question after reading this:

[b]"But it's just fine if your insurance company tells you how much and what kind of care you get?"

My question is: If you purchase insurance, don't you select how much and what kind you get, not the insurance company? Can't you purchase different levels of coverage, thus it's you telling you how much you get.[/b]
    In a perfect utopian doe-eyed libertarian world, yes.

In the actual world, no, because of the issues I outlined earlier.
  11. Pepperland
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 15:34
    did any of you people watch the documentary film "sicko"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicko_(film)

its very interesting, I have to say that it is a bit biased in the way that it doesn't talk about the problems with universal healthcare, but still, it gives you an idea of how problematic the US system is.
  12. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 20:17
    Originally posted by MacSwain

[b]"But it's just fine if your insurance company tells you how much and what kind of care you get?"

My question is: If you purchase insurance, don't you select how much and what kind you get, not the insurance company? Can't you purchase different levels of coverage, thus it's you telling you how much you get.[/b]
    Or can get.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree