1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Jul '09 13:26
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I have the sovereign right to access free health care without relying on the permission of others to do so.

How's that?
    Of course, in the future if they pass the fairness doctrine you will have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.
  2. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    25 Jul '09 13:28
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I have the sovereign right to access free health care without relying on the permission of others to do so.

How's that?
    You don't, that is my point. You have as much trouble with the word 'free' as you do 'right'. Universal health care is neither 'free' nor a 'right'.
  3. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    25 Jul '09 13:28
    Originally posted by whodey
    Of course, in the future if they pass the fairness doctrine you will have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.
    What's the fairness doctrine?

"Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law".

It already can.
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    25 Jul '09 13:30
    Originally posted by daniel58

It already can.
    *sigh*

:'(
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Jul '09 13:381 edit

It already can.
    It is an attempt to restrict free speech in the media. I heard one Senator compare it to censoring obscenity. Basically it would force anyone who have an opinion, to provide a counter arguement as well, otherwise they would not be free to say what they think.

Really all conservatives have now are conservative voices in the media. I suppose they figure that if they are able to silence them, they can eliminate conservative thought once and for all.
  6. Pepperland
    Moves
    25 Jul '09 13:52
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    health care is a commodity not a right.
    true.

but woudn't it be nice if america followed what other industrial countries did, and finally established universal healthcare?

They don't have to run the industry, they just have to offer an option for those who can't afford, and have family members who might die because their health insurance won't cover "pre-existing conditions", or those who just need a simple operation but can't afford it, etc etc.

The current system isn't working, so why insist on blocking reform?
  7. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    25 Jul '09 13:54
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    true.

but woudn't it be nice if america followed what other industrial countries did, and finally established universal healthcare?

They don't have to run the industry, they just have to offer an option for those who can't afford, and have family members who might die because their health insurance won't cover "pre-existing conditions", or those ...[text shortened]... ford it, etc etc.

That's what it's like in Canada but many die over there from waiting so long, like waiting out in the hall on a table for 45 minutes, doesn't sound that great too me.
  8. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    25 Jul '09 13:55
    true.

They don't have to run the industry, they just have to offer an option for those who can't afford, and have family members who might die because their health insurance won't cover "pre-existing conditions", or those ...[text shortened]... ford it, etc etc.

we already have medicaid and medicare
  9. Germany
    Moves
    25 Jul '09 13:59
    I'm saying if we make everything universal that will help him.
    Explain.
  10. Pepperland
    Moves
    25 Jul '09 14:01
    That's what it's like in Canada but many die over there from waiting so long, like waiting out in the hall on a table for 45 minutes, doesn't sound that great too me.
    no system is perfect, but it would be a great improvement.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Jul '09 14:01
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    we already have medicaid and medicare
    Perhaps if we put these words in bold letters and underline them they might get it?
  12. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    25 Jul '09 14:03
    no system is perfect, but it would be a great improvement.
    No it wouldn't I don't want to die because if I have healthcare now then I'll get seen but if everybody's on the same level I probably won't.
  13. Germany
    Moves
    25 Jul '09 14:05
    Do you have any actual data concerning the quality of health care in Canada, instead of just anecdotes?

The average Canadian lives two years longer than the average American. Oh, and Canadian health care is also a lot cheaper.
  14. Pepperland
    Moves
    25 Jul '09 14:05
    No it wouldn't I don't want to die because if I have healthcare now then I'll get seen but if everybody's on the same level I probably won't.
    nobody is saying you have to have the government running the whole industry. Im just saying that there should be an option for those at the bottom.
  15. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    25 Jul '09 14:08
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Do you have any actual data concerning the quality of health care in Canada, instead of just anecdotes?

The average Canadian lives two years longer than the average American. Oh, and Canadian health care is also a lot cheaper.
    Jun 24, 2009 ... Is there a fatal flaw with Canada's flu readiness plan? Crystal. ... As congress debates overhauling the U.S. healthcare system...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree