I can’t call anyone an idiot anymore!

I can’t call anyone an idiot anymore!

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A

RSA

Moves
06 Jul 20

The post that was quoted here has been removed
I doubt that was the motivation behind the change.

I think he just saw the common humanity behind those who didn't agree with it. People are born where they are born. Personally, I didn't find the avatar that offensive. Rather, I disagreed (and probably still disagree) with resuming the conflict to resolve the status of Northern Ireland.

I understand that not everybody can be forgiving. I certainly struggled for a long time about Germany (some of my family members died in the Holocaust). Generally speaking, I regard Irish people as being remarkably forgiving, given the history.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
06 Jul 20

@ashiitaka said
I doubt that was the motivation behind the change.

I think he just saw the common humanity behind those who didn't agree with it. People are born where they are born. Personally, I didn't find the avatar that offensive. Rather, I disagreed (and probably still disagree) with resuming the conflict to resolve the status of Northern Ireland.

I understand that not everyb ...[text shortened]... ocaust). Generally speaking, I regard Irish people as being remarkably forgiving, given the history.
While Duchy is continuing to try to stoke discontent, I will adhere to my policy of not responding to her posts.

Suffice to say, I received nothing from RHP suggesting that I change my avatar; in fact, I haven't received any communications from the Site Administrators or Moderators for years.

My opinion regarding the moral defensibility of the IRA and earlier Irish attempts to end British occupation by force have not changed.

I am not in the Occupied section of Ireland and don't pretend to tell the People there what they should do.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
06 Jul 20

Do you ever change any of your opinions...? About America, China, UK, you name it.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
06 Jul 20
1 edit

@moonbus said
If someone posts something incoherent or illogical, point out the incoherence or the fallacy. Attack the argument, not the person.
Yeah I’ve come to the conclusion that I’ll label the content of their post as idiotic rather than label them an idiot.
If a poster claims that Black People are intrinsically more prone to criminality or words to that effect I don’t think that’s a statement which contains a fallacy, it’s simply idiotic. And unworthy of higher debate.
If a poster produces stats that on the face of it imply that Black people commit or are charged with more crimes in support of the above statement then yes it’s worth pointing out the fallacy of using those stats and point out factors other than skin colour that might be culminating in those raw stats.
But I think there will be occasions when idiotic is a reasonable descriptor for the post if not the poster.

D

Moves
06 Jul 20

Moves
06 Jul 20

@no1marauder said
In the spirit of compromise and hopefully increased goodwill, I intend to change my Forum avatar as soon as I can decide on an appropriate replacement. I will keep the work of art as my Header on My Profile page, however.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
06 Jul 20

@sleepyguy said
It would improve the tone of discourse on the forum even more to ban the use of the pejorative "racist".

Let's all agree, shall we?
What do we call the racists then?
At the very least it must be available as an adjective if not a noun.

A

RSA

Moves
06 Jul 20

I already knew that he hadn't changed any of his opinions on the matter. That wasn't the point.

He was big enough and mature enough to compromise on an issue that I know he feels strongly about. While I don't agree with resuming the conflict now (I believe that even if one is a republican that the fastest route to re-unification is through a poll), I understand why the IRA was formed and why it could still live on.

Understanding without necessarily agreeing is the first step to resolution.

D

Moves
06 Jul 20

D

Moves
06 Jul 20

SRB

Moves
06 Jul 20

Isn't there a bigger picture with regard to contemporary trends in Ireland? If people now believe that there is more likely to be a political solution if wounds are allowed to heal then no. 1's avatar change is completely in line with many people who seek the same goals as he does. That is why I would believe him completely when he says the avatar was not changed at the request of RHP and I applaud anybody who believes in working towards political solutions.

D

Moves
06 Jul 20
2 edits

Moves
06 Jul 20

There is little compromise in No 1 Marauder's opinion on IRA atrocities.

I challenged him on the 'Warrington bombings' a few days ago, and read nothing but defence of the action, mainly based around unheeded phone warnings.

If an IRA supporter cannot admit that Warrington was, at best, 'a misguided action', then there is no further productive discussion to be had.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
06 Jul 20

Some people might consider anyone who supports the right of the Palestinian People to resist by force Israeli occupation and oppression "armchair terrorists".

But silly insults by ill-informed internet personalities are hardly as conclusive of an argument as some other ill-informed internet personalities might believe.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
06 Jul 20

@blood-on-the-tracks said
There is little compromise in No 1 Marauder's opinion on IRA atrocities.

I challenged him on the 'Warrington bombings' a few days ago, and read nothing but defence of the action, mainly based around unheeded phone warnings.

If an IRA supporter cannot admit that Warrington was, at best, 'a misguided action', then there is no further productive discussion to be had.
Than don't discuss it anymore if it hurts your feelings to do so. I never said Warrington was or wasn't "misguided"; I did say that it wasn't "terrorism" as the intent of it was clearly not to kill civilians.

When I get around to it, I'll start a thread about the last Irish struggle against British occupation, oppression and tyranny and argue it was a legitimate war of self-defense and liberation triggered by a brutal and murderous campaign by the UK and its Loyalist supporters against a peaceful civil rights campaign.

That is real history, not the propaganda you peddle.